Richard Neidich

Default Geographic Naming (SLIGHTLY OT)

We all have dicussed the issues of Champagne vs Sparkling wine.
Parma Hams from Italy and also from Canada.

I have a new outrage.

When we make our home made pasta sauce we have been using San Marsano
tomatoes for our sauce. The brand is simply San Marsano and it indicates
imports and appears to be italian. The San Marsano tomatoes we have been
buying were 28 oz for $1.99 per can and my wife says can you beleive they
have another brand now that is $4.99 for the same size from another italian
company.

Upon examining the labels there is no mention of country on the $1.99 but
the can is stamped at the top stating "Product of Canada".

As outraged as many get about wine descriptions I really was ****ed about
this as well. Next we will be getting Spanish Olives from Canada.

Sorry for OT RANT.

Chuck Reid

Was this rant aimed deliberately at Canada or did we just get sideswiped
while you vented?
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> We all have dicussed the issues of Champagne vs Sparkling wine.
> Parma Hams from Italy and also from Canada.
>
> I have a new outrage.
>
> When we make our home made pasta sauce we have been using San Marsano
> tomatoes for our sauce. The brand is simply San Marsano and it indicates
> imports and appears to be italian. The San Marsano tomatoes we have been
> buying were 28 oz for $1.99 per can and my wife says can you beleive they
> have another brand now that is $4.99 for the same size from another

italian
> company.
>
> Upon examining the labels there is no mention of country on the $1.99 but
> the can is stamped at the top stating "Product of Canada".
>
> As outraged as many get about wine descriptions I really was ****ed about
> this as well. Next we will be getting Spanish Olives from Canada.
>
> Sorry for OT RANT.

Chuck Reid

Was this rant aimed deliberately at Canada or did we just get sideswiped
while you vented?
--
Regards
Chuck
So much wine; So little time!

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> We all have dicussed the issues of Champagne vs Sparkling wine.
> Parma Hams from Italy and also from Canada.
>
> I have a new outrage.
>
> When we make our home made pasta sauce we have been using San Marsano
> tomatoes for our sauce. The brand is simply San Marsano and it indicates
> imports and appears to be italian. The San Marsano tomatoes we have been
> buying were 28 oz for $1.99 per can and my wife says can you beleive they
> have another brand now that is $4.99 for the same size from another

italian
> company.
>
> Upon examining the labels there is no mention of country on the $1.99 but
> the can is stamped at the top stating "Product of Canada".
>
> As outraged as many get about wine descriptions I really was ****ed about
> this as well. Next we will be getting Spanish Olives from Canada.
>
> Sorry for OT RANT.

Richard Neidich

Side swipe only....

It amazes me.

I guess when McDonalds serves Canadian Bacon on the Egg McMuffin I might be
surprised to find out that Canadian Bacon comes from North Carolina and
Arkansas too.

We now have authentic Mexican Salsa from NY City
Champagne from Napa
Italian San Marsano Tomatos that are Product of Canada
Parma Ham of Canada
Spanish Olives from _________.

I am sorry but this really is getting out of control.

Nothing anti canadian was intended here. Sorry.

"Chuck Reid" > wrote in message
> Was this rant aimed deliberately at Canada or did we just get sideswiped
> while you vented?
> --
> Regards
> Chuck
> So much wine; So little time!
>
> To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address
>
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> We all have dicussed the issues of Champagne vs Sparkling wine.
>> Parma Hams from Italy and also from Canada.
>>
>> I have a new outrage.
>>
>> When we make our home made pasta sauce we have been using San Marsano
>> tomatoes for our sauce. The brand is simply San Marsano and it indicates
>> imports and appears to be italian. The San Marsano tomatoes we have been
>> buying were 28 oz for $1.99 per can and my wife says can you beleive they
>> have another brand now that is $4.99 for the same size from another

> italian
>> company.
>>
>> Upon examining the labels there is no mention of country on the $1.99 but
>> the can is stamped at the top stating "Product of Canada".
>>
>> As outraged as many get about wine descriptions I really was ****ed about
>> this as well. Next we will be getting Spanish Olives from Canada.
>>
>> Sorry for OT RANT.

Richard Neidich

"Chuck Reid" > wrote in message
> Was this rant aimed deliberately at Canada or did we just get sideswiped
> while you vented?
> --
> Regards
> Chuck
> So much wine; So little time!
>
> To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address
>
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> ink.net...
>> We all have dicussed the issues of Champagne vs Sparkling wine.
>> Parma Hams from Italy and also from Canada.
>>
>> I have a new outrage.
>>
>> When we make our home made pasta sauce we have been using San Marsano
>> tomatoes for our sauce. The brand is simply San Marsano and it indicates
>> imports and appears to be italian. The San Marsano tomatoes we have been
>> buying were 28 oz for $1.99 per can and my wife says can you beleive they
>> have another brand now that is $4.99 for the same size from another

> italian
>> company.
>>
>> Upon examining the labels there is no mention of country on the $1.99 but
>> the can is stamped at the top stating "Product of Canada".
>>
>> As outraged as many get about wine descriptions I really was ****ed about
>> this as well. Next we will be getting Spanish Olives from Canada.
>>
>> Sorry for OT RANT.

Michael Scarpitti

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> Side swipe only....
>
> It amazes me.
>
> I guess when McDonalds serves Canadian Bacon on the Egg McMuffin I might be
> surprised to find out that Canadian Bacon comes from North Carolina and
> Arkansas too.
>
> We now have authentic Mexican Salsa from NY City
> Champagne from Napa
> Italian San Marsano Tomatos that are Product of Canada
> Parma Ham of Canada
> Spanish Olives from _________.
>
> I am sorry but this really is getting out of control.
>
> Nothing anti canadian was intended here. Sorry.

A name is a valuable property. When we have Chianti coming from Canada
or California, we're in trouble.
Michael Scarpitti

"Richard Neidich" > wrote in message hlink.net>...
> Side swipe only....
>
> It amazes me.
>
> I guess when McDonalds serves Canadian Bacon on the Egg McMuffin I might be
> surprised to find out that Canadian Bacon comes from North Carolina and
> Arkansas too.
>
> We now have authentic Mexican Salsa from NY City
> Champagne from Napa
> Italian San Marsano Tomatos that are Product of Canada
> Parma Ham of Canada
> Spanish Olives from _________.
>
> I am sorry but this really is getting out of control.
>
> Nothing anti canadian was intended here. Sorry.

A name is a valuable property. When we have Chianti coming from Canada
or California, we're in trouble.
Richard Neidich

Yup...or how about California Oranges from Florida...you don't imagine the
Citrus commission would be ****ed in Califirnia.

"Michael Scarpitti" > wrote in message
om...
> "Richard Neidich" > wrote in message
> hlink.net>...
>> Side swipe only....
>>
>> It amazes me.
>>
>> I guess when McDonalds serves Canadian Bacon on the Egg McMuffin I might
>> be
>> surprised to find out that Canadian Bacon comes from North Carolina and
>> Arkansas too.
>>
>> We now have authentic Mexican Salsa from NY City
>> Champagne from Napa
>> Italian San Marsano Tomatos that are Product of Canada
>> Parma Ham of Canada
>> Spanish Olives from _________.
>>
>> I am sorry but this really is getting out of control.
>>
>> Nothing anti canadian was intended here. Sorry.

> A name is a valuable property. When we have Chianti coming from Canada
> or California, we're in trouble.

Best Grapes for Geographic Region Glenn Meyers Winemaking 3 12-06-2007 01:34 PM
EU and US reconcile naming conventions Emery Davis Wine 2 16-09-2005 01:12 PM
National Geographic: Why American's Are So Fat [email protected] Vegan 0 25-12-2004 02:18 AM
Naming a Zinfandel Bill Wine 27 17-07-2004 03:27 AM
International naming of baked yummies David Hare-Scott General Cooking 55 08-06-2004 12:52 AM