Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines al fresco (lighter reds, roses, whites)

Betsy was playing at Chamber Music America's New Music festival in Bryant Park, I took the train down and kept fingers crossed that rain would hold off. It rained a bit but after a delay the quartet played beautifully. I said goodbye (she was leaving for upstate), and returned to my little village. Picked up samosa and dal at a new place in town, opened with the 2013 Calabretta Etna Rosato. This was an interesting wine- structured, big, taut. Some chalky flavors, red currant, citrus. Very different, and interesting, but I wouldn't call it friendly at moment. I think I'll set remaining one aside for a year or two (not something I usually say with rose!). B?

A wine dinner was unexpectedly cancelled, so invited some friends and their pup to dinner Tuesday. Bones for the canines, humans had grilled tuna, caprese, sauted redleaf amaranth, shrimp with cocktail sauce, and a white bean & garlic scape dip

2014 Edmunds St John "Heart of Gold"
Crisp, steeley, and fresh, mineral with citrus and pit fruit, delightful accompaniment to the shrimp B+/A-

2014 Baudry Chinon rose
Maybe a tad riper than last year, full with cherry fruit but still lots of mineral character and acidic backbone. B++

2013 Guion "Domaine" Bourgueil
Snappy cranberry and raspberry fruit, light green leaf notes, nice wine to serve lightly chilled. B

Wednesday was start of summer concert series, headed to Estherwood and met some friends on the lawn. Lots of good food shared around, and some wines as well

2014 Paradis "Essenciel" (Coteaux d'Aix-en-Provence ) rose
Lighter style, approaching dilute, refreshing but not very long or flavorful. B-

2014 mas de Gourgonnier (Baux de Provence) rose
Herby, not-too-ripe strawberries, lovely. B

2013 Brovia Arneis
I had bought this after loving a previous bottle, but this seems somewhat stolid in comparison to what I remember. Me or bottle? B-

Cantina de Sorbara Lambrusco
fun with beef carpaccio, sweet without being cloying, friendly and frothy, dark berries, nothing serious here but a nice silly puppy of a wine. B

2011 Mikael Bouges "Les Cots Hauts' Touraine
Lighter styled Cot, black plum and herbs, some light "potted plant" /geranium notes such as I typically get from Loire Gamay. Interesting. B/B+

Silver Thread Blackbird (vintage?)
Finger lake red that others liked more than me, some oak, but lack structure, a sweet edge to finish. B-/C+

With turkey burgers, the 2011 Rollin Hautes-Coôtes de Beaune (rouge).
Red cherries, lots of spice notes, some earth on finish. Not a big wine yet with a sense of structure. Quite the QPR, shoulda bought more at $18. B+/A-

TN: 2 Loire(ish) reds, Marsannay, Provencal and Rheingau roses DaleW Wine 2 18-07-2016 09:38 PM
TN: Whites and roses on a warm weekend DaleW Wine 0 13-07-2015 06:24 PM
TN: 2 reds, 2 whites DaleW Wine 1 08-06-2011 07:51 PM
TN 2 whites better than 3 reds DaleW Wine 0 06-08-2007 02:44 PM
TN: good roses and whites, impressive Neyers, disappointing de Sales DaleW Wine 0 05-06-2005 05:13 PM