Walter L. Preuninger II

Default Cellar Humidity Weirdness and temperature questions

We have been in the new house a couple of weeks, drank a couple of bottles
of Chianti, but no 'good' bottles yet....

The cooling unit is just off center (excuse the poor drawing below)
Dimensions are 5' W x 7' D x 8' H

west
GGGGGGGGGG
G p B I
G I
X I
X I
X I
X I
IIIIIIDDDDIIIIIII

G-Garage Wall (vents into insulated garage)
X-Exterior Wall
I -Interior Wall
D-Door
B-Breezaire WKE3000
p- Bottle Probe, upper storage location.

Interior And Exterior Walls are R-22, Ceiling is R30. Floor is concrete with
R6 expanded foam. 6mil plastic wraps everything.
Garage is insulated with R-13 walls and ceiling.

Today I was changing the alarm temperature on the Breezaire Sentinel II, and
must have set the fan to on instead of auto. To set the unit, you press both
the up and the down button at the same time. I guess you have to be careful
when you change thru the settings.

The humidity has zoomed up to 75%. When the fan is in auto, the humidity
varies 49% to 55%. Temperature here in the northeast corner of Texas (Near
Longview) were low 57 to high 68 today. Why is the humidity so high with
just the fan running. The compressor is not running. Where should I place
the bottle probe? The top of the WKE3000 is mounted about 12" from the
ceiling. Where the bottle probe is right now, I can see air being blown near
it (the grille is split blowing to the right and to the left, not
adjustable). Would it be better to place the bottle probe above the WKE3000,
nearest the ceiling?

Air temperatures vary from 52 to 56, with the unit set on 55. when the
compressor does not run I normally see 53 and 54 on the control unit.

All my better wines are on the bottom rows, the 96-03 Prum Spatlese, the
assorted Ducrus, Le Pez, Cakebread and Grange. I can store about 660 bottles
(I still have a long way to go).

Have there been any studies done regarding liquid temperatures, air
temperatures and humidities in various locations within the cellar, and
temperature and humidity outside the cellar. This would assume perfect
insulation and uniform cellar geometries. If not, i may build a
temperature/humidty data logger one day.

As soon as I get settled, I will be pulling some corks... Our Open House is
this coming Sunday, 1-4pm.

Yall Come,

Walter

Weirdness Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 03-03-2016 03:21 PM
oven temperature limitations and a few questions jbclem Sourdough 1 17-10-2013 07:12 PM
48 Degrees F Cellar Temperature Gary Winemaking 2 01-01-2005 12:32 AM
48 Degrees F Cellar Temperature Gary Winemaking 0 31-12-2004 12:26 AM
Wine cellar temperature problem clinresearcher Wine 5 06-12-2004 01:34 PM