Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Champagnes, Burgs, Ca, Loire, etc

was looking for a particular wine, and found a case of mixed stuff that I should have taken home a while ago, mixed a few into this weeks lineup.

With flounder, couscous, & spinach, the 2005 Pernot Bourgogne Blanc. Funny, having had quite a few PremOxed village and 1er wine from mid-2000s to have a Bourgogne with life to it. Pear, lemon, and a little hazelnut, good ripeness and good acids. Its maybe fading on the finish, but could pass for a mature Puligny. B+

2002 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray (375 ml), Oxidized. Damn. NR

With lamb leg, barley, & salad, the 2004 Groffier Bourgogne rouge. Only a hint of the greenie meanies, but kirschy and a little tired. C+/B-

2013 Knoll Ried Pfaffenberg Steiner Riesling Kabinett
Stony, citrus and apple, a little severe at first, opens with air and I enjoy. B+/B

With roast chicken, green beans, mushrooms, couscous, the 2002 de Montille Bourgogne rouge. Last de Montille I bought for a while due to 9/11 comments.. Cherries, raspberries, a little smoke. Nice balance. Drink up, and enjoy. B+

Some friends invited me to dinner, their dog was confused as I arrived houndless. I had brought crab salad canapes, they made Tuscan swordfish, bok choy, & salad.

2013 Domaine de lHarmas Cotes du Rhone
Raspberry, strawberry, clean and straightforward. B/B-

2014 Pepiere €śClisson€ť Muscadet
Classic full leesy Clisson style, zippy enough for the crab but with enough body for the swordfish - wet stones, citrus, a little herb. B+/A-

1993 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
I've had three bottles from same lot. One was what I look for in mature white Burg, lovely and complex -if maybe a bit ripe (B+). Another at a steakhouse was oxidized and advanced. This didn't show oxidation but didn't feel as lively as the first bottle- white fruit, a little nutty, a bit stolid on palate. B-

2006 Havens Black and Blue
Sturdy, still some slightly rough tannin, big dark fruit, cassis and black plum, fairly low acid. B-

Saturday I met friends at Aberdeen for a Chinese New Year dinner:
Pork shu mai, Shrimp dumplings, Eggplant stuffed with shrimp, Jalapeno stuffed with shrimp,
seafood/tofu soup, squid with scallions, ginger/scallion lobster, soft shell crab with black bean sauce, ginger/garlic chicken, rice with shrimp and vegetables.
Mostly Champagne

1999 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne Rose
I was very happy with way this showed. Strawberry and cherry, brioche, and orange zest. Full, a great foil for the food, some chalk and flowers on nose as it gets air. A-/A

1995 Bruno Paillard €śNec Plus Ultra€ť Champagne
I thought this oxidative and tired at first, but liked better on second go round. Heavy nutty note, green apple, bread. I liked better with air but agreed with Cathleen it didnt deserve its hefty pricetag. B

1998 Gosset €śCelebris€ť Champagne
I had trouble getting a handle on this. There was something weirdly cheesey on nose at first, then it cleaned up, then it started tasting oxidized. Never loved, at its best a B. Not sure a correct bottle.

1995 Ch. Loudenne (Medoc)
Some sturdy tannin, but soft ripe plummy fruit, a very pleasant claret. B/B+

Sunday I picked up Betsy and violinist at LaGuardia, went home, and then headed to her sisters for a SuperBowl party. Chili with fixings, calamari with chipotle mayo, gauc, salad, cheeses, etc.

2015 Van Volxem Alte Reben Riesling
Minerally, tart, smoke, white peach. B+

2013 Losen-Bockstanz Riesling Kabinett
sweet , peachy, simple. B-

2005 Edmunds St John Bassetti Syrah
Betsys first night back since we lost the hound, so I opened one of Lucys traditional birthday wines (the other is Mulderbosch Faithful Hound) for a toast to departed friends. Lovely showing- rich dark berry fruit, smoke, a little coffee, and just a hint of an animal note. Young but so tasty. A-

No wines scheduled this week as we try to deal with a few extra holiday pounds.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/7/17 4:03 PM, DaleW wrote:

> 2002 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray (375 ml), Oxidized. Damn. NR

All too common with that vintage of Huet, sadly. Sec? Demi-sec? Moelleux?

> 2014 Pepiere €śClisson€ť Muscadet Classic full leesy Clisson style,
> zippy enough for the crab but with enough body for the swordfish -
> wet stones, citrus, a little herb. B+/A-

Good to hear about this. I have some awaiting delivery. Thanks for the
update, Dale.

> 2005 Edmunds St John Bassetti Syrah Betsys first night back since we
> lost the hound, so I opened one of Lucys traditional birthday wines
> (the other is Mulderbosch Faithful Hound) for a toast to departed
> friends. Lovely showing- rich dark berry fruit, smoke, a little
> coffee, and just a hint of an animal note. Young but so tasty. A-

First of all, Dale, I am so sorry to read of your loss of Lucy. Our
most sincered sympathies to you, Betsy and David. Also good to hear
about this wine as I have a few bottles. I just ordered some library
wines from Steve to keep our hands off these until they mature.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Tuesday, February 7, 2017 at 4:30:00 PM UTC-5, Mark Lipton wrote:
> On 2/7/17 4:03 PM, DaleW wrote:
>
> > 2002 Huet Le Haut Lieu Vouvray (375 ml), Oxidized. Damn. NR

oops, demi-sec
still have some 750s of Le Mont DS, should grit teeth and open
Thanks for thoughts. She was a good girl, had a good life (14+), and we had over 13 years with her.