Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs, Champagnes, St Julien (& 1 burg named StJ), Vouvray, CdP, BdM

A local church has an annual gala (dinner and concert) to support its social justice programs, and we put together a table. But there were lots of conflicts, and the church postponed the event till Feb. But since we had a table of people arranged we decided to do a mini-fundraiser, invited the friends who were supposed to be at our table (and their checkbooks).

We started with scallop carpaccio and a little foie gras. Two rose Champagnes to accompany

NV Bremont Grand Cru Rose Champagne
Cherries, blood orange, chalk, and yeast. Full and long. B+

NV Chartogne-Taillet Rose Champagne
2008 disgorgement, biscuit and cherry pie, ready to go. B/B+

Betsy did a small concert- some Bach sarabandes, Casals Song of the Birds, a couple of short modern pieces) and then presented the meal- chicken bouillabaisse, Ottolenghis spicy carrots, and a salad with walnut and pears. I sent around a variety of wines

1996 Niellon €śVergers€ť Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
One of the good bottles, no PremOx here. Pear, apple and hazelnut, good acids, fresh, tasty if not the most developed/complex 20 year old. B+/A-

2015 Bart Marsannay Rose
Best match with the chicken. Bright acids, red plum, cranberry, and citrus zest, a little grassy edge, good food wine with a sweetness to the fruit that plays well with the heat and saffron of the dish. B

1989 Lagrange (St Julien)
Cassis and black cherry, cedar, tobacco, still some tannin. Pretty sturdy style of cassis, but just a little bit of a roasted/pruney note. B

1993 Daniel Bocquenet €śAux St. Julien€ť Nuits St. Georges
Not a producer I know much about, didnt have high expectations, so not too disappointed when it came off shrill at first. But it actually calmed down and filled out- black cherry, smoke, earth. Good acids (no longer shrill), good length. Nice village wine. B++

Betsy had made a flourless chocolate cake, I had a couple of cheeses to serve. One more wine

2002 Huet Le Mont Moelleux 1er Trie (375 ml)
Spatlese to Auslese level sweetness, candied orange rind, damp wool, long and complex. A-

Fun night for a good cause.

The following night we went to a friends home, where the guitarist from his first band (50 years ago) was visiting from Uruguay with his wife.. Nice people, nice evening. With appetizers the NV Jose Dhondt Brut Champagne -lighter styled, fresh apple and some bread yeast, good. B/B+

Dinner was a pot roast, kale salad, and more.

1998 Colombaio Brunello di Montalcino
Bigger styled, a bit tannic, quite ripe, somewhat international. B-

This is getting long in the tooth, and age is not treating it well. A little roasted/pruney at first, that accelerated quickly with air, VA and heat. C+/C

Nice people/