Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: SOBER with Champagnes, Burgundies, Bordeaux, Calis, Loire, Alsace

Traveled up to John's for last night's SOBER session. While we waited for all to gather, we explored some open Champagne that John had been trying for his next newsletter.

2005 Larmandier-Bernier "Vieilles Vignes" Extra Brut Champagne
Intense, toasty, a bit austere. I didn't love though might like better with food. B/B-

2000 Pol Roger Brut Champagne
I have had this, and it hasn't ever excited me- this time I think others liked much more. Bread and citrus, but just a touch lacking in verve. B

2002 Pol Roger Rose Champagne
Easily my favorite of the three. Fat but not unbalanced, lovely ripe Bing fruit and accents of baking bread and spice. A-/B+

Then we headed inside for the actual tasting (blind as always). John had a nice spread of cheeses and pate to hold us over till plated courses.

Bubbly Flight
#1: Tropical, I thought a bit blowsy at first, but good depth of flavor and complexity. I'm surprised it is the 2000 Pol Roger Blanc de Blancs. B

#2 : Citrus, bright, toasty, lovely, my kind of Champagne. Dan calls BdB early and gets Comtes soon after. 2000 Taittinger Comtes de Champagne. A-/A

Red Flight #1
#1 Lovely mature red fruit, elements of citrus, herb, and cola, good acids, lots of complexity, Mark immediately went CdB but guesses were older (and much higher up the prestige ladder). Drinking perfectly now. 1999 Coche-Dury Auxey-Duresses B+

#2 More in reserve here, still some (pleasant) wood showing, red fruit, smoke, perfumed spice, fresh. Dan got Chambolle quickly. 1998 Dujac "Les Gruenchers" Chambolle-Musigny. A-

Red Flight #2
#1 There were some TCA concerns at first, I didn't get that but thought weird, but it seemed to blow off and on the palate got less astringent. I liked this best quite a while later when a saved pour was showing beautifully- lush black plum, coffee, a little merde. 1978 Trotanoy C on pour, B after 15 minutes, B+/A- after 2 hours. I think Heraclitus was a wine taster.

#2 I thought this was Bordeaux. A touch of pruniness at first, seems to freshen. Meat, black plums, mature but not tired. Once clear not Bordeaux, Craig nails 1984 Dominus B+

White Flight
Great match with a shrimp and avocado salad. Someone (Dan) got Loire CB quickly for first wine, arguments on 2nd re Germany or Alsace
..
#1 Lovely and lively, light to moderate sweetness, honied, waxy. Mark almost had me convinced it might be Pinot Gris. Excellent length, fresh. 2002 Huet "Le Mont" Vouvray Demi-Sec A-

#2 Heavy, a bit of botrytis, great flavors but I find a bit plodding (my guess would have been Deiss except I couldn't imagine John owning) - others liked more. 1989 Trimbach Clos Ste. Hune VT B/B+

Red Flight #3
A really great flight - poor John had to open 2 extra bottles- 1970 Canon was corked, 1967 Trotanoy was DOA. But boy was the replacement (#1) good. .

#1 Perfect classic textbook Bordeaux, mature but with years of life ahead, black cherry, red plum, cigarbox, good acids, full and rich. I've always really liked this, but maybe best showing I've ever seen for 1982 Magdelaine. A

#2 - I thought Bordeaux as well, but it's CA. Herbal, a bit rounder, good length. Some flailing, then Craig gets1974 Sterling Cabernet Sauvignon. B+

Red Flight #4
Lovely main of stuffed chicken with mushrooms, rice and green beans.
Pretty clearly Pinot.

#1 Elegant, lacy, solid base but light-bodied though ripe. Delicious, lovely. Guesses are CdN, I guess 1985. I'm surprised it is a '88, so delicate, but producer explains. 1988 Jacky Truchot Clos de la Roche A-

#2 Sturdier, more '88ish, actually think this was a nice wine I didn't give enough attention to because of Truchot (and revisiting Trot). Solid, young, good. 1988 Chevillon "Vaucrains" Nuits St George 1er B+

OK, you know it's a good night when my least favorite of the "official" wines is a CSH. Thanks John.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

actually reading my notes again I think the maderized wine that was never served was 1967 VCC