Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Burgs,almost-Soave, CdR, rose Champagnes

Sunday we had my parents and another couple over. Ron likes wine, but
was in the early "induction" stages of a diet, so I put away the good
Cal Cab and served the 2003 Guigal Cotes du Rhone with the
lamb/shiitake kebabs. Perfectly acceptable if uninspiring CdR, ripe
raspberries and blackberries and some herby aromas. Round but not
flabby, not bad. B
Fun evening, though.

Monday it was back to just us. Beautiful afternoon, cool for June.
Betsy and I had chicken breasts in a garlic/vermouth sauce, with sweet
potatoes and broccolli with red onions and dill. We went with the 2004
Anselmi "San Vincenzo." Nice clean white stone-fruit with that Soave
nutty note. Rich in the mouth, medium acidity, good value. B+/B

Tuesday we had David's grandparents to dinner before a school awards
ceremony (pretty painless dinner on the scale of Wife's Ex's Parents
go). Cold poached salmon with a dill sauce, yellow beets, brown rice,
and a chopped salad. I tend to serve PN with salmon, but with cold
salmon prefer a chard. So we had the 2004 Thierry & Pascal Matrot
Bourgogne. Pear and citrus fruit, refreshing acidity. Good length, just
a hint of oak. Good value for $11. This has a screwcap, as reportedly
does their Meursault. Based on the Bourgogne, I'll look for the village
wine. B+/B

I just found my notes on a store (Zachys)tasting a couple weeks back.
This needs to be read with a salt shaker, not a grain of salt, as I'm
reading scribbles with a faded memory (of small pours):

NV Charles Ellner Rose Brut
Mediumbodied, fine mousse. Ripe strawberries and raspberries. Needs
food, but nice. B+

NV Godme Grand Cru Brut Rose
Very pale, delicate. Ethereal yet with a sense of underlying power.
Yeast and strawberries. Very nice. B+/A-
(I liked both rose Champagnes, though very different)

2004 Miolane St. Aubin
A bit thin, with not much going on. C+/B-

2002 Lequin-Colin "La Comme Rouge" Santenay
Nice red cherry and raspberry fruit, a little earth. Not compelling,
but would be happy with this as a restaurant wine. B