Posted to alt.food.wine

Default NZ Riesling.

I'm grateful for St Helier's alerting me to NZ Rieslings. I came across
Seifried Nelson Riesling 2012 at a wine tasting in the local Balducci
Gourmet store today. It was pleasantly dry and fruity and I enjoyed it
even if $16 is a shade high. It's quite alcoholic at 13.5%.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to alt.food.wine

My pleasure Jim

Achieving a good level of ripeness is never a problem - Nelson /
Marlborough's cool evenings following moderate daytime heat means that
retaining acid is never an issue.

With "most" NZ Riesling fermented either dry or just off-dry rather than
retaining higher amounts of residual sugar, alcohol levels are always going
to be around that 12.5% - 13.5% range.

Last Thursday, I prepared, for the family, pan-fried pork loin (with apple
sauce), with a sweet potato and carrot salad (with a light Thai spiced
mayo).

I served a readily available 2010 Cooper's Creek Marlborough Riesling.
Medium bodies; just a hint of sweetness - 13%.

Great with the meal.

--
st.helier

"James Silverton" wrote ...........

> I'm grateful for St Helier's alerting me to NZ Rieslings. I came across
> Seifried Nelson Riesling 2012 at a wine tasting in the local Balducci
> Gourmet store today. It was pleasantly dry and fruity and I enjoyed it
> even if $16 is a shade high. It's quite alcoholic at 13.5%.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> My pleasure Jim
>
> Achieving a good level of ripeness is never a problem - Nelson /
> Marlborough's cool evenings following moderate daytime heat means that
> retaining acid is never an issue.
>
> With "most" NZ Riesling fermented either dry or just off-dry rather than
> retaining higher amounts of residual sugar, alcohol levels are always
> going to be around that 12.5% - 13.5% range.
>
> Last Thursday, I prepared, for the family, pan-fried pork loin (with apple
> sauce), with a sweet potato and carrot salad (with a light Thai spiced
> mayo).
>
> I served a readily available 2010 Cooper's Creek Marlborough Riesling.
> Medium bodies; just a hint of sweetness - 13%.
>
> Great with the meal.
>
> --
> st.helier

I've just been enjoying some cut-price bin ends of NZ PN from a local
supermarket. Akarua which was very much like some village Burgundies and I
wasn't at all aware of the 14% abv. The other was a slightly cheaper Waitiri
Creek PN that wasn't quite as long as the Akarua but still excellent value.
I wish I could get more.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

> I've just been enjoying some cut-price bin ends of NZ PN from a local
> supermarket. Akarua which was very much like some village Burgundies and I
> wasn't at all aware of the 14% abv. The other was a slightly cheaper Waitiri
> Creek PN that wasn't quite as long as the Akarua but still excellent value.
> I wish I could get more.
> Graham

Bin ends can indeed be fun and frustrating. Back in the freedom fries
days I was able to get some bin ends on 88 and 89 Hermitage bought them
out and they brought some in from other stores. Maybe my best wine
shopping ever but all in all only 4 bottles.

--
Joseph Coulter

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

>> I've just been enjoying some cut-price bin ends of NZ PN from a local
>> supermarket. Akarua which was very much like some village Burgundies and
>> wasn't at all aware of the 14% abv. The other was a slightly cheaper
>> Waitiri
>> Creek PN that wasn't quite as long as the Akarua but still excellent
>> value.
>> I wish I could get more.
>> Graham
>>

> Bin ends can indeed be fun and frustrating. Back in the freedom fries days
> I was able to get some bin ends on 88 and 89 Hermitage bought them out and
> they brought some in from other stores. Maybe my best wine shopping ever
> but all in all only 4 bottles.

Some years ago when I started buying clarets (when I could afford it after
recovering from divorce) I was directed to some 1997 Cap de Faugères that
the shop was trying to sell off quickly. It was a very happy "discovery"
until they ran out. It's about double the price now but still a good buy.
Graham

TN: Riesling and Gamay DaleW Wine 7 20-01-2010 03:28 PM
TN: Riesling, Riesling, Chardonnay DaleW Wine 0 24-11-2009 01:55 AM
Does Riesling ... Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 15 21-03-2007 01:22 AM
Riesling with honey? Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 6 24-10-2005 09:21 PM
Riesling Karl \(JIM\) Reich Wine 9 01-02-2004 04:42 PM