Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Does Riesling ...

.... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
50s gas station.
What say you all?
Cheers

Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 3:50 pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> ... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
> I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
> 50s gas station.
> What say you all?
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf
>
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

I still have some late harvest Rieslings from California in the 1970s.
One has about 30% residual sugar. Most of these came from under 100
miles from Napa or Napa itself. I don't know the details of geology
for the various regions, but slate on important vineyards is not
something that I have ever seen mentioned. A moderate amount of clean
petrol shows in most of these wines along with much else. Then I have
tasted a few Rieslings with what I term dirty petrol character which
remind you of sulfur somewhat, just as do crude oils from certain
regions of the world.

__________________________________

http://wineFAQ.hostexcellence.com/

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" asked of the collective wisdom of the group ....

> ... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
> I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
> 50s gas station.
> What say you all?

Quite a few of the dry Rieslings from South Australia develop that
character - and no slate wharsoever in the growing environment.

Have also found petrol / kerosene in NZ rieslings, particularly from Waipara
and Marlborough (no slate, just riverbed pebbles!) with a few years of age.

--

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 4:50?pm, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> ... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
> I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
> 50s gas station.
> What say you all?
> Cheers
>
> Nils Gustaf
>
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

While I often get petrol from Mosel wines that are probably from slate-
situated vineyards, I've gotten it from plenty of Alsace wines
(including but not only wines from Brand- I'm pretty sure most Alsace
vineyards are primarily situated on granite, with some limestone,
gneiss, etc).
As to Mike's assertion petrol is from overcropping, I've gotten petrol
from Clos Ste Hune, Zind-Humbrecht Brand, Maximum Grunhauser, and
Grosset Polish Hill - none of which would make my short list of
industrial plonk producers (even if stylistically I may not love the
ZH).

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mike Tommasi" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> .... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
>> I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
>> 50s gas station.
>> What say you all?
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nils Gustaf
>>

> Some swedish humour for you Nils.
>
> http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...he-book-p1.php

<insert pejorative comment on Norwegians HERE>
LOL!
Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

You might like to check out this thread:
http://www.wine-pages.com/ubb/ultima...=003169#000015

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

> My experience exactly. Most HAVE been grown in slate-soils. Now, I've had
> few New World examples that had touches of petrol, but I do not know the
> vineyards, or the soil. Does that count as a "maybe?"

The question is whether the petroleum note is specific to slate.
Any Riesling WITH petroleum from a soil that is NON-slate is an indication
that it is not.
Provided, of course, petroleum has not been added as an afterthought (oh,
those naughty, naughty wine makers).
Cheers
Nils Gustaf

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 14, 5:51 pm, (Hunt) wrote:
> In article >,
> says...
>

> >"Hunt" > skrev i meddelandet
> >> In article >,
> >> says...

> [SNIP]
>
> >> My experience exactly. Most HAVE been grown in slate-soils. Now, I've had
> >> few New World examples that had touches of petrol, but I do not know the
> >> vineyards, or the soil. Does that count as a "maybe?"

> >The question is whether the petroleum note is specific to slate.
> >Any Riesling WITH petroleum from a soil that is NON-slate is an indication
> >that it is not.
> >Provided, of course, petroleum has not been added as an afterthought (oh,
> >those naughty, naughty wine makers).
> >Cheers
> >Nils Gustaf

> Nils,
>
> Do I *smell* a conspiricy amongst Riesling producers????? "Hey, just add a
> shot of #2 diesel to the cask... "
>
> Hunt

Or how about filtering the wine through ground slate with perhaps a
bit of flint added for fire and complexity :-) .

Posted to alt.food.wine

"cwdjrxyz" > skrev i meddelandet
oups.com...
> On Mar 14, 5:51 pm, (Hunt) wrote:
>> In article >,
>> says...

>> [SNIP]

>> >The question is whether the petroleum note is specific to slate.
>> >Any Riesling WITH petroleum from a soil that is NON-slate is an
>> >indication
>> >that it is not.
>> >Provided, of course, petroleum has not been added as an afterthought
>> >(oh,
>> >those naughty, naughty wine makers).
>> >Cheers
>> >Nils Gustaf

>> Nils,
>>
>> Do I *smell* a conspiricy amongst Riesling producers????? "Hey, just add
>> shot of #2 diesel to the cask... "
>>
>> Hunt

> Or how about filtering the wine through ground slate with perhaps a
> bit of flint added for fire and complexity :-) .

No, flint, that would be Sauvignon Blanc from Pouilly. Keep up the good
work, though!

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

IMHO the petroleum nose is not linked to slate, granite or any other type of
soil, but appears if your Riesling has been cellared over a number of years.

Yves

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>> .... need to grow in slate to achieve the petroleum nose?
>> I seem to remember riesling wines from GC Brand (granite) smelling like a
>> 50s gas station.
>> What say you all?
>> Cheers
>>
>> Nils Gustaf
>>

> Some swedish humour for you Nils.
>
> http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2...he-book-p1.php
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Yves" in :
> IMHO the petroleum nose is not linked to slate, granite or any other type
> of soil, but appears if your Riesling has been cellared over a number of
> years.

That is my experience too, FWIW. That it is a character of the grape and
bottle age.

-- Max

Posted to alt.food.wine

We have just opened a biodynamic procedure like wood chips in lieu of oak.
Its called "Slate Be Us" which adds elements from your favourite soil to any
wine.
contact us on www.fakestuff.com to learn more.

Papa John Hodiak for United Fakirs LLC/MLST

NZ Riesling. James Silverton[_4_] Wine 4 16-03-2014 07:42 PM
TN: Riesling and Gamay DaleW Wine 7 20-01-2010 03:28 PM
TN: Riesling, Riesling, Chardonnay DaleW Wine 0 24-11-2009 01:55 AM
Riesling with honey? Wino-Nouveau Winemaking 6 24-10-2005 09:21 PM
Riesling Karl \(JIM\) Reich Wine 9 01-02-2004 04:42 PM