Walter L. Preuninger II

Default TN: 1998 Joh. Jos. Prum Riesling Spatlese Wehlener Sonnenuhr

I recently found the 98 J.J. Prum WS Spatlese online, ordered 6 bottles.
Today, Alison, the kids and I went to Rockwall, Texas to a liquor store to
pick up 30 Spiegelau Tasting Glasses ($2.99/stem, regular $5.99) and got
lost in a Corn Maze. Got back home, the Voodudes (party band with a New
Orleans style) are playing in the city park (1 block away). Decided to open
a bottle.

The color is a pale gold. Apples, pear and citrus on the nose. No fizzyness.
I get cherries (semi tart), nutty and vanilla. Alison also detected petrol
and fresh cut grass. The finish is long, with a cleansing effect.

I now have 1 vertical set of this wine from 1996-2003, 2 vertical sets from
1998-2003.

I prefer my Authentis glasses, but these will do for tastings and large
dinners.

Now a question:

If 10 people show up for a tasting, would it be impolite to use these cheap
stems for them, but me to use my Authentis's?
If I have one bottle of wine, and 10 people, is it ok to meaure the pours?
Or should I figure 4 glasses per bottle and expect people to want more?

The house it coming along, another 4 weeks or so.... I see parties in my
future

Thanks All,

Walter

Anders Tørneskog

"Walter L. Preuninger II" > skrev i melding
> Now a question:
>
> If 10 people show up for a tasting, would it be impolite to use these
> cheap
> stems for them, but me to use my Authentis's?

Yes, I think so.., and Spiegelau stems are perfectly acceptable anywhere.

> If I have one bottle of wine, and 10 people, is it ok to meaure the pours?
> Or should I figure 4 glasses per bottle and expect people to want more?

4 glasses per bottle for a tasting? That'd be 187.5ml per glass, and if your
guests taste 5 wines, each will have had 937.5ml of wine, almost a litre or
about a quart gallon of wine...?
Make it 8 or 10 glasses a bottle, I'd say.
imho
Anders

Bill Loftin

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

>>If I have one bottle of wine, and 10 people, is it ok to meaure the pours?
>>Or should I figure 4 glasses per bottle and expect people to want more?

> 4 glasses per bottle for a tasting? That'd be 187.5ml per glass, and if your
> guests taste 5 wines, each will have had 937.5ml of wine, almost a litre or
> about a quart gallon of wine...?
> Make it 8 or 10 glasses a bottle, I'd say.

We do 6 on a bottle with plenty for revisits and sometimes some left for
the infamous kitchen blends that are better than the parts often.

Bill Loftin

Anders Tørneskog wrote:

>>If I have one bottle of wine, and 10 people, is it ok to meaure the pours?
>>Or should I figure 4 glasses per bottle and expect people to want more?

> 4 glasses per bottle for a tasting? That'd be 187.5ml per glass, and if your
> guests taste 5 wines, each will have had 937.5ml of wine, almost a litre or
> about a quart gallon of wine...?
> Make it 8 or 10 glasses a bottle, I'd say.

We do 6 on a bottle with plenty for revisits and sometimes some left for
the infamous kitchen blends that are better than the parts often.

john shaw

Hi Walter,

(Sorry, Anders, I've tagged my reply onto yours)

>> If 10 people show up for a tasting, would it be impolite to use these
>> cheap stems for them, but me to use my Authentis's?

No, you should use the same glasses as the guests, IMO.

>> If I have one bottle of wine, and 10 people, is it ok to meaure the
>> pours?

when I ran regular wine tastings, we found that _as a tasting_, we could
serve 15-20 from a bottle. There was plenty there to analyse the essential
characteristics of the wine. However, once the formal tasting part is
over, be prepared to allow 7 glasses per bottle for a standard pour. In
principle, it's intelligent to practice pouring the required (750/15 = 50
mls) amount into the glasses you'll be using, so you know how much to pour.

All the best,

Ian Hoare