Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 2 Piedmonts, 2 Burgundies, 1 Loire

I had a meeting on 14th, so Betsy made Valentine’s Day dinner a day early.. A starter of foie gras/truffle medallions, then spatchcocked cornish hens, roasted root vegetables and mushrooms, and sauteed arugula with the 2008 Matrot Meursault. Full, lots of citrus, light hazelnut/vanillin accents, young but should one risk aging these days? B+

Thursday a minor transportation crisis meant I had no dinner before meeting, so I got home late to find Betsy had saved me some stroganoff. I opened the 2006 Giovanni Rosso “Serralunga” Barolo (in 375 ml). Workhorse Barolo, firm but not scratchy tannins, plenty of red fruit, a touch of violets. Fine if not compelling. B

Friday I made teriyaki salmon, a napa/bok choy stirfry, and couscous, wine was the
2008 David Duband Gevrey-Chambertin. Continuing in the mode of the Barolo, another steady but not exciting wine. No overt oak, black cherry fruit with a little mushroom and forest floor, light tannins, B

Saturday was poulet bonne femme and cauliflower with pimenton, and the 2009 Pepiere Ch. Thebaud Muscadet. This is really fun- full and leesy, with vibrant acids, quince and lemon fruit, long. Oyster shells and sea salt, very minerally long finish. A-

Sunday I made the tomato sauce and Betsy made the meatballs and pasta, we had the 2006 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (need to look for lot #). Fairly big, but surprisingly approachable tannins, dark fruits, spice (star anise?), quite impressive. Sure it needs time, but very nice now. A-/B+,

wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of
objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

So PdB B is 099, which I believe means without riserva juice, but I liked a lot anyway!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2/18/13 4:31 PM, DaleW wrote:
> Saturday was poulet bonne femme and cauliflower with pimenton, and
> the 2009 Pepiere Ch. Thebaud Muscadet. This is really fun- full and
> leesy, with vibrant acids, quince and lemon fruit, long. Oyster
> shells and sea salt, very minerally long finish. A-

What is this? A Pepiere cuvee that is unknown to me? Did this used to
get bottled under a different name, or is it a new bottling?

> Sunday I made the tomato sauce and Betsy made the meatballs and
> pasta, we had the 2006 Produttori del Barbaresco Barbaresco (need to
> look for lot #). Fairly big, but surprisingly approachable tannins,
> dark fruits, spice (star anise?), quite impressive. Sure it needs
> time, but very nice now. A-/B+,

Aha, this was the normale in the year that they didn't make any
designated bottlings, yes? Good to hear that it's as good as expected,
but I'm sure that it'll get even better with time.

Thanks for the notes,
Mark Lipton

TN: Arv comes to NY- Piedmonts, Rhones, Ornellaia and more DaleW Wine 0 28-09-2015 08:01 PM
WTN: Burgundy, Loire, Champagne, Saar, Sicily, Loire, SLO DaleW Wine 7 09-10-2013 02:47 PM
Grand Cru Burgundies Bill S. Wine 0 08-02-2012 05:05 PM
TN: SOBER with Champagnes, Burgundies, Bordeaux, Calis, Loire, Alsace DaleW Wine 1 13-09-2011 05:09 PM
TN: '96 & '92 Burgundies, '00 Crozes, '97 VP DaleW Wine 0 10-12-2006 10:46 PM