Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Arv comes to NY- Piedmonts, Rhones, Ornellaia and more

Saturday a nice group gathered in a private room at Fabio Cucina Italiana to welcome Arv and Jenn, former New Yorkers in town for a visit. Arv was one of the founders of our Bordeaux group, but somehow in a free form offline not a single bottle from Bordeaux appeared!

John and Gio greeted us with Champagne
2004 Dom Ruinart BdB (mag)
I thought this was stunning, crisp and clean with citrus and mineral.I liked before, loved this one. A-

We had starters of burrata with tomato & pepper, as well as "crab cake" (not much binder, quite good)

2009 Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie"Chassagne-Montrachet
I really liked this, ripe but balanced, lovely and long. B+/A-

1995 Coulee de Serrant (Joly) Moelleux
Despite Moelleux designation this was only a little sweet, with apricot and lemon fruit, a little dank on finish. B

1998 Knoll "Loibenberg" Gruner Veltliner Federspiel
Not quite as vibrant as previous bottles, but good sweetpea and dry peach flavors, some pepper, good with the crab. B/B+

Then a trio of pastas - a pomodori sauce, a cheese tortellini, and my favorite a fettucine with sausage and truffle. I left my notes behind, but recreated most on train

1978 de Forville Barbaresco (mag)
Double-decanted (after standing for a week), pretty and clear. Fresh red fruits, floral and charming. Held up well for entire night, easily lightest of the Nebbiolos but with elegance and clarity. A-/B+

1978 Borgogno Barolo Riserva
Pretty volatile on the nose, a bit murky with some suspended sediment. There is some deep red cherry and raspberry fruit, and some tar. Just a bit harsh for me. I would have liked to revisit but there were just too many wines.. B-/C+

(I'm not 100% sure I didn't mix these 2 Corderos up, with some of the 750s I was sharing a pour with Betsy)
1978 Cordero di Montezemolo "Monfalletto" Barolo
Surprisingly plush, rounder red fruit, rose petals, leather. B+/A-

1982 Cordero di Montezemolo "Monfalletto" Barolo
Quite tannic, but nice tarry character, blacker fruit, Should have saved for the meat. B

1989 Scavino Barolo Bric del Fiasc (mag)
Very young , just a hint of oak, big ripe and powerful, but not pruney or overripe, liked a lot, just needs time. B+/A-

I liked my main of short ribs, Betsy's veal in a mushroom/Barolo sauce was good not great,

From this point on wines were flying by so fast (and I wasn't spitting enough) that takes are even shakier. From memory ascending order of preference

1995 Chapoutier Cote-Rotie
A touch pruney, a little ashtray, but I didn't give it a chance to improve,..

1996 Ridge Lytton Springs (mag) ,
Brambly, red fruited. Nice, but didn't grab me, others liked more.

2000 Vieux Telegraphe "Le Crau" Chateauneuf-du-Pape (mag).
Rpe and ready to go, some forest floor./

1997 Ornellaia
Surprised how much I liked, ripe red fruits, fat but not flabby, easy to like

1991 Beringer Private Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon ( Mag)
I liked this, fresher than a 750 a few years ago, then saw note saying NP was bringing Montelena and thought I had mixed up. No, it actually WAS the Beringer, just much fresher from 1.5, Black cherry, herbs.

2001 Beaucastel Chateauneuf-du-Pape (mag)
I remember liking this, and that it was a tad animal, but no notes

Palate was shot, but passed around a Riesling. This was supposed to be an apertif, but delay due to spongy cork, strained into a water bottle and served as a pre-port palate cleanser

2002 Leitz Rudesheimer Burg Roseneck Spatlese
Moderately sweet, creamy texture, apple and pit fruits with some quartzy mineral notes.

1985 Dow Vintage Port.
Not as brawny as I expected, coffee and spice over black fruit.

Fun night with a great crowd, nice to reconnect with a bunch of old friends as well as see "regulars"

TN: 2 Piedmonts, 2 Burgundies, 1 Loire DaleW Wine 2 19-02-2013 09:05 PM
1998 Ornellaia Bi!! Wine 0 26-09-2012 12:55 PM
Rhones Bill S. Wine 0 30-05-2010 11:06 PM
TN: 9 blind Rhones, see how... DaleW Wine 6 09-02-2010 05:18 PM
Rhones, mostly Bill S. Wine 0 07-02-2010 08:12 PM