Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Schlossed in the rain

We really didn't need more rain, but we got it anyway!

2005 Nigl "Privat" Gruner Veltliner (screwcap)
I'm apparently pretty insensitive to most reductive aromas, but did get a little sulphur and egg salad on opening this. But seemed to blow off (without any decanting or copper). Big, dry but with sweet fruit, white pit fruit, green pea, white pepper. Quite long, very appealing. Did a very nice job pairing with a slightly challenging dish, eggplant/artichoke/fontina panini. A-/B+

1996 Schloss Schonborn "Hochheimer Daubhaus" Riesling*Spatlese
I liked this more than a recent bottle, but still not loving. Good acids, muted apple fruit, a hint of mineral. Just not a lot of excitement there. Did fairly well with a chicken/broccoli stirfry and rice with furikake. B-

2009*Schloss*Lieser Riesling (screwcap)
A bit offdry, peaches, cherry and slate, medium acid, friendly. B

2010 d'Oupia Minervois rose
Full for rose, sweet cherries and strawberries, moderate acids, good length.. Both this and the Schloss Lieser were good with a shrimp/pepper/rice noodle stirfry. B+

Nice for rain to end and to eat on patio.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Rain and such George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 27-05-2016 05:33 PM
Rain George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 3 20-04-2016 03:28 PM
Rain George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 11 16-12-2015 03:03 PM
RAIN !!! ImStillMags General Cooking 9 16-10-2012 02:45 AM