Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Good showings, except one corked wine

Mostly me cooking this week, Betsy has been playing a ballet gig where
rehearsals end at 7, so we've had late dinners, on the patio in the lovely cool weather.

With broiled lemon sole, cauliflower with pimenton, snow peas and salad, the
2008 Drouhin Vaudon (Joseph Drouhin) Chablis 1er Cru.
This is a generic 1er, a combination of Mont de Tonnerre, Mont Milieu,
and 2 vineyards I'd never heard of. Crisp, steely, a bit austere at first
but opens up. Classy, minerally, very good. B+

With grilled tofu 2 ways (one in a kecap manis sauce, other in a lemon marinade),
corn, asparagus, and pizza Margherita, the NV Pinon Touraine Rose
and the X bottling of the Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois.

The NV Pinon is the newest release,the 2007 version. Sweet red fruit
with an attractive bitter streak, very nice wine but I think I liked the
previous version a tad better (heretic!). B

NV (2010) Lapierre "X" Raisins Gaulois. Joy juice! UNcomplicated, fresh,
friendly, fun. Bright berry and black cherry fruit, good acids, holds well
overnight, at least as good as the IX for me. B+

With grilled lemon/basil chicken, potato salad, and hot & sour coleslaw,
the 2008 Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc. At first pour I think Craig has oversold
this to me- it seems austere and tight. But with food this showed quite
nicely- intense citrus fruit, no apparent oak but plenty of apparent
structure, lovely wine. I think I might hold these and concentrate on
drinking my 09 Pernots, which seem more forward. Great suggestion
from Craig. B+/A-

Dave prefers red, so there was also the 2009 G. Descombes Morgon.
He drinks a glass, I take a small pour after dinner- muted, not showing
much at all. I assume it is closed down, but when I sample the folllowing
day, the real issue is apparent- it's corked. Apparently just below my
sensory threshold for TCA on day 1, just "fruit scalping" but the damp
cardboard is there in background on day 2. NR

With pork tenderloin in a mustard/soy/tamarind sauce (I admit it,
loosely based on a Paula Deen recipe- the horror!), whole wheat pearl
couscous, and leftover slaw, the 2009 JJ Christoffel Erben
"Urziger Wurzgarten" Riesling Kabinett. Big, sweet, could easily be Spatlese,
but has truly zippy acidity. Peaches, cherries, good length, very nice wine. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:41:41 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
wrote:

>Mostly me cooking this week, Betsy has been playing a ballet gig where
>rehearsals end at 7, so we've had late dinners, on the patio in the lovely cool weather.
>
>With broiled lemon sole, cauliflower with pimenton, snow peas and salad, the
>2008 Drouhin Vaudon (Joseph Drouhin) Chablis 1er Cru.
>This is a generic 1er, a combination of Mont de Tonnerre, Mont Milieu,
>and 2 vineyards I'd never heard of. Crisp, steely, a bit austere at first
>but opens up. Classy, minerally, very good. B+
>
>With grilled tofu 2 ways (one in a kecap manis sauce, other in a lemon marinade),
>corn, asparagus, and pizza Margherita, the NV Pinon Touraine Rose
>and the X bottling of the Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois.
>
>The NV Pinon is the newest release,the 2007 version. Sweet red fruit
>with an attractive bitter streak, very nice wine but I think I liked the
>previous version a tad better (heretic!). B
>
>NV (2010) Lapierre "X" Raisins Gaulois. Joy juice! UNcomplicated, fresh,
>friendly, fun. Bright berry and black cherry fruit, good acids, holds well
> overnight, at least as good as the IX for me. B+
>
>With grilled lemon/basil chicken, potato salad, and hot & sour coleslaw,
>the 2008 Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc. At first pour I think Craig has oversold
> this to me- it seems austere and tight. But with food this showed quite
>nicely- intense citrus fruit, no apparent oak but plenty of apparent
>structure, lovely wine. I think I might hold these and concentrate on
>drinking my 09 Pernots, which seem more forward. Great suggestion
>from Craig. B+/A-
>
>Dave prefers red, so there was also the 2009 G. Descombes Morgon.
> He drinks a glass, I take a small pour after dinner- muted, not showing
>much at all. I assume it is closed down, but when I sample the folllowing
> day, the real issue is apparent- it's corked. Apparently just below my
>sensory threshold for TCA on day 1, just "fruit scalping" but the damp
>cardboard is there in background on day 2. NR
>
>With pork tenderloin in a mustard/soy/tamarind sauce (I admit it,
> loosely based on a Paula Deen recipe- the horror!), whole wheat pearl
> couscous, and leftover slaw, the 2009 JJ Christoffel Erben
> "Urziger Wurzgarten" Riesling Kabinett. Big, sweet, could easily be Spatlese,
> but has truly zippy acidity. Peaches, cherries, good length, very nice wine. B+/A-

Arrgghhh! Based on your positives I went searching for "Raisins
Galois" (which unfortunately sounds like a red wine gone bad with a
strong cigarette floating in it), and found the only dealers on
wine-searcher.com which have it don't ship to Texas. I hate you! (Not
really, but occasionally there are pangs of incredible envy.)

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote in
.
com:
the 2009 JJ Christoffel Erben
> "Urziger Wurzgarten" Riesling Kabinett. Big, sweet, could easily be
> Spatlese, but has truly zippy acidity. Peaches, cherries, good
> length, very nice wine. B+/A-

Most wines sold as Kabinetts fit in the definition of Spatlese, at least
when it comes to must weight (and specially from top sites such as Urziger
Wurzgarten). 2004 and 2008 are the last vintages that allowed for some real
Kabinetts lately.

Best,

s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 5, 4:24*pm, Ed Rasimus > wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jun 2011 10:41:41 -0700 (PDT), DaleW >
> wrote:
>

> >Mostly me cooking this week, Betsy has been playing a ballet gig where
> >rehearsals end at 7, so we've had late dinners, on the patio in the lovely cool weather. *

> >With broiled lemon sole, cauliflower with pimenton, snow peas and salad, the
> >2008 Drouhin Vaudon (Joseph Drouhin) Chablis 1er Cru.
> >This is a generic 1er, a combination of Mont de Tonnerre, Mont Milieu,
> >and 2 vineyards I'd never heard of. Crisp, steely, a bit austere at first
> >but opens up. Classy, minerally, very good. B+

> >With grilled tofu 2 ways (one in a kecap manis sauce, other in a lemon marinade),
> >corn, asparagus, and pizza Margherita, the NV Pinon Touraine Rose
> >and the X bottling of the Marcel Lapierre Raisins Gaulois.

> >The NV Pinon is the newest release,the 2007 version. Sweet red fruit
> >with an attractive bitter streak, very *nice wine but I think I liked the
> >previous version a tad better (heretic!). B

> >NV (2010) Lapierre "X" Raisins Gaulois. Joy juice! UNcomplicated, fresh,
> >friendly, fun. Bright berry *and black cherry fruit, good acids, holds well
> > overnight, at least as good as the IX for me. B+

> >With grilled lemon/basil chicken, potato salad, and hot & sour coleslaw,
> >the 2008 Fourrier Bourgogne Blanc. At first pour I think Craig has oversold
> > this to me- it seems austere and tight. But with food this showed quite
> >nicely- intense citrus fruit, no apparent oak but plenty of apparent
> >structure, lovely wine. I think I might hold these and concentrate on
> >drinking my 09 Pernots, which seem more forward. Great suggestion
> >from Craig. B+/A-

> >Dave prefers red, so there was also the 2009 G. Descombes Morgon.
> > He drinks a glass, I take a small pour after dinner- muted, not showing
> >much at all. I assume it is closed down, but when I sample the folllowing
> > day, the real issue is apparent- it's corked. Apparently just below my
> >sensory threshold for TCA on day 1, just "fruit scalping" but the damp
> >cardboard is there in background on day 2. NR

> >With pork tenderloin in a mustard/soy/tamarind sauce (I admit it,
> > loosely based on a Paula Deen recipe- the horror!), whole wheat pearl
> > couscous, and leftover slaw, the 2009 JJ Christoffel Erben
> > "Urziger Wurzgarten" Riesling Kabinett. Big, sweet, could easily be Spatlese,
> > but has truly zippy acidity. Peaches, cherries, good length, very nice wine. B+/A-

> Arrgghhh! Based on your positives I went searching for "Raisins
> Galois" (which unfortunately sounds like a red wine gone bad with a
> strong cigarette floating in it), and found the only dealers on
> wine-searcher.com which have it don't ship to Texas. I hate you! (Not
> really, but occasionally there are pangs of incredible envy.)- Hide quoted text -

Someone posted this recently on another forum:
http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/home/pre...1/20110603.asp

Sorry!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mon, 6 Jun 2011 05:48:55 -0700 (PDT), "
> [...]

>> >sensory threshold for TCA on day 1, just "fruit scalping" but the damp
>> >cardboard is there in background on day 2. NR

>> >With pork tenderloin in a mustard/soy/tamarind sauce (I admit it,
>> > loosely based on a Paula Deen recipe- the horror!), whole wheat pearl
>> > couscous, and leftover slaw, the 2009 JJ Christoffel Erben
>> > "Urziger Wurzgarten" Riesling Kabinett. Big, sweet, could easily be Spatlese,
>> > but has truly zippy acidity. Peaches, cherries, good length, very nice wine. B+/A-

>> Arrgghhh! Based on your positives I went searching for "Raisins
>> Galois" (which unfortunately sounds like a red wine gone bad with a
>> strong cigarette floating in it), and found the only dealers on
>> wine-searcher.com which have it don't ship to Texas. I hate you! (Not
>> really, but occasionally there are pangs of incredible envy.)- Hide quoted text -

>Someone posted this recently on another forum:

Not quite as bad as that paints it. The law prohibits "retailers" from
shipping into the state, but has no difficulty with wineries shipping
directly. There is also a twist which many outlets use which specifies
that the purchaser is "taking possession" within their state and then
having it shipped to themselves. Hard to contest that and in large
measure the state doesn't try.

Another restriction is a limit of one case per month for private
consumption. That, of course, is impossible to regulate without
considerable intrusion into UPS/FEDEX data and a lot of tracking
effort. Never encountered a challenge based on that restriction.

Usually I can find what I seek and a willing outlet to ship to me.

TN: Good Morgon, Sancerre, Rheinhessen etc but the Pomerol is corked DaleW Wine 0 26-06-2016 09:34 PM
Corked NZ wine James Silverton[_4_] Wine 20 25-09-2008 08:56 PM
How much has corked wine affected your perceptions? Joseph Coulter Wine 6 01-02-2006 05:34 AM
Corked wine nyc sommelier 54 Wine 2 19-03-2004 01:37 PM
How to confirm the wine is corked? Eric lee Wine 24 29-11-2003 07:07 AM