Eric lee

Default How to confirm the wine is corked?

I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
It smell like rotten egg. But slowly fade off with time in the glass. I
smell the cork but it smell fine. It's the first time I've tried un-oak
Tampranillo, just wondering is it normal or the wine is corked.

Question, How corked wine smell and when the wine is corked, does the cork
itself smell bad too?
I've drunk many wine and I've never encounter faulty one before.

Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Eric lee,

le/on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:05:23 +0800, tu disais/you said:-

>I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
>It smell like rotten egg.

H2S, often caused by sulphur dropping onto the bottom of a barrel, when the
sulphur "candle" is burnt in it to sterilise it. However as your Tempranillo
isn't oaked that sounds improbable.

> But slowly fade off with time in the glass.

This is called "blowing off" and quite often happens with some minor faults.

> I smell the cork but it smell fine.

Doesn't prove anything at all and in general doesn't give much information
even if the wine were corked.

> It's the first time I've tried un-oak Tampranillo, just wondering is it normal or the wine is corked.

No it's not normal and from your description the wine is _definitely_ not
corked.

>Question, How corked wine smell and when the wine is corked, does the cork
>itself smell bad too?

People describe a corked wine smell in many ways, but most often have the
words "wet" & "mouldy" associated. So "Wet dog" "wet cardboard" "mouldy
cardboard" are all used fairly frequently. A very slightly corked wine may
not have much corked smell (at first certainly) but the smell does NOT go
away, it gets worse and that's the MOST distinctive characteristic of a
corked wine.

>I've drunk many wine and I've never encounter faulty one before.

Well, you've been pretty lucky, or else you're one of the people like me who
are very insensitive to TCA. However, MY perception of a slightly corked
wine is that it "isn't showing well", and that's happened to me quite a few
times.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Mark Willstatter

"Eric lee" > wrote in message >...
> I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
> It smell like rotten egg. But slowly fade off with time in the glass. I
> smell the cork but it smell fine. It's the first time I've tried un-oak
> Tampranillo, just wondering is it normal or the wine is corked.
>
> Question, How corked wine smell and when the wine is corked, does the cork
> itself smell bad too?
> I've drunk many wine and I've never encounter faulty one before.

Eric, "rotten egg" odors are an indication of the presence of hydrogen
sulfide, a "reductive" wine fault that can result from - among other
things - malnourished yeast during fermentation or improper handling
of the wine when it is on the lees (dead yeast cells). As you
observed, the smell of hydrogen sulfide often "blows off" with
exposure to air, at least in relatively minor cases. A subtly corked
bottle, on the other hand, might be detectable only to those familiar
with a given wine as an absence of fruit. Aromas in more extreme
examples of corkiness are most often described along the lines of
"musty" and/or "damp cardboard". People vary widely in their ability
to detect TCA, the chemical responsible for corked bottles but just
about everyone can smell hydrogen sulfide. A corked bottle tends to
get worse, not better, with air. The rotten egg odors you noticed
cannot be called "normal" but your bottle was not likely corked, both
because the smell is wrong and because it declined with time - unless
you were unfortunate enough to find a bottle that was corked in
*addition* to having a hydrogen sulfide problem!

- Mark W.
Steve Slatcher

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:03:28 +0100, Ian Hoare
> wrote:

>Salut/Hi Eric lee,
>
> le/on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:05:23 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
>>It smell like rotten egg.

>H2S, often caused by sulphur dropping onto the bottom of a barrel, when the
>sulphur "candle" is burnt in it to sterilise it. However as your Tempranillo
>isn't oaked that sounds improbable.

You're right that it's Hydrogen Sulphide, but that would not be caused
by a sulphur candle in the barrel; that would give Sulphur Dioxide
taint.

The combination of nitrogen deficiency in the must, use of sulphur
dioxide before fermentation, and certain types of yeast give H2S
taint.

Can be removed by putting a copper coin in the glass.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Mike Tommasi

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> wrote:
>The combination of nitrogen deficiency in the must, use of sulphur
>dioxide before fermentation, and certain types of yeast give H2S
>taint.

Why is nitrogen needed in the must? Is it dissolved in the must? And
how does its deficiency yield H2S?

Mike

Steve Slatcher

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:35:16 +0100, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> wrote:
>>The combination of nitrogen deficiency in the must, use of sulphur
>>dioxide before fermentation, and certain types of yeast give H2S
>>taint.

>Why is nitrogen needed in the must? Is it dissolved in the must? And
>how does its deficiency yield H2S?

The deficiency is apparently related to certain soils and grape
varieties, and one solution is to treat with diammonium phoshate, so I
presume the nitrogen is chemically bound rather than dissolved.

Beyond that, I do not know. My source of information is The Oxford
Companion to Wine, which says quite a bit more about the issue, but
does not directly answer your questions. If you are really keen to
find out, this article has a couple of references to scientific
journals. Let me know if you want the references.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Steve Slatcher,

le/on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, tu disais/you said:-

>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:03:28 +0100, Ian Hoare
> wrote:
>
>>Salut/Hi Eric lee,
>>
>> le/on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 02:05:23 +0800, tu disais/you said:-
>>
>>>I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
>>>It smell like rotten egg.

>>H2S, often caused by sulphur dropping onto the bottom of a barrel, when the
>>sulphur "candle" is burnt in it to sterilise it. However as your Tempranillo
>>isn't oaked that sounds improbable.

>You're right that it's Hydrogen Sulphide, but that would not be caused
>by a sulphur candle in the barrel; that would give Sulphur Dioxide
>taint.

With respect, I think you ought to read what I said. I _was_ aware that
burning sulphur gives sulphur dioxide, and that in fact this is what is
intended - to sterilise the barrel. You were probably not aware that
sometimes, drops of molten sulphur heated by the combustion of the "candle",
can dribble off the bottom and fall to the bottom of the barrel, where the
flames go out. This _unconverted_ sulphur can - I repeat - give H2S
contamination.
--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Eric lee

Thanks guys for your help,

After all, that bottle is bad and I'm quite disappointed as wanted to try a
young Tampranillo which show varietals characteristic after reading
recommendation in wine book by Jancis Robinson. It took me a hard time
looking for minimum oak influence copies. As it's cheap and not a mainstream
style. Not many merchant willing to carry I guess...

However, I still haven't give up yet, That bottle is a Vina Allbali
Tampranillo 2002 from Valdepena, Spain. Not even a Crianza class so I guess
it's not wooded at most old wood.

Should I go back and get another bottle or another vintage of the same wine,
If not any suggestion? How about Corona by Torres, but it's still age for 6
months in wood which is good enough to be crianza although it's not labelled
so. Would I able to taste the fruit unadulterated?

"Mark Willstatter" > wrote in message
om...
> "Eric lee" > wrote in message

> > I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
> > It smell like rotten egg. But slowly fade off with time in the glass. I
> > smell the cork but it smell fine. It's the first time I've tried un-oak
> > Tampranillo, just wondering is it normal or the wine is corked.
> >
> > Question, How corked wine smell and when the wine is corked, does the

cork
> > itself smell bad too?
> > I've drunk many wine and I've never encounter faulty one before.

> Eric, "rotten egg" odors are an indication of the presence of hydrogen
> sulfide, a "reductive" wine fault that can result from - among other
> things - malnourished yeast during fermentation or improper handling
> of the wine when it is on the lees (dead yeast cells). As you
> observed, the smell of hydrogen sulfide often "blows off" with
> exposure to air, at least in relatively minor cases. A subtly corked
> bottle, on the other hand, might be detectable only to those familiar
> with a given wine as an absence of fruit. Aromas in more extreme
> examples of corkiness are most often described along the lines of
> "musty" and/or "damp cardboard". People vary widely in their ability
> to detect TCA, the chemical responsible for corked bottles but just
> about everyone can smell hydrogen sulfide. A corked bottle tends to
> get worse, not better, with air. The rotten egg odors you noticed
> cannot be called "normal" but your bottle was not likely corked, both
> because the smell is wrong and because it declined with time - unless
> you were unfortunate enough to find a bottle that was corked in
> *addition* to having a hydrogen sulfide problem!
>
> - Mark W.

Eric lee

Have found a solution, I have decant it and the sulphur smell has gone, and
the fruit come through. The wine is powerful enough to last through the
aeration process.

"Eric lee" > wrote in message
> Thanks guys for your help,
>
> After all, that bottle is bad and I'm quite disappointed as wanted to try

> young Tampranillo which show varietals characteristic after reading
> recommendation in wine book by Jancis Robinson. It took me a hard time
> looking for minimum oak influence copies. As it's cheap and not a

mainstream
> style. Not many merchant willing to carry I guess...
>
> However, I still haven't give up yet, That bottle is a Vina Allbali
> Tampranillo 2002 from Valdepena, Spain. Not even a Crianza class so I

guess
> it's not wooded at most old wood.
>
> Should I go back and get another bottle or another vintage of the same

wine,
> If not any suggestion? How about Corona by Torres, but it's still age for

6
> months in wood which is good enough to be crianza although it's not

labelled
> so. Would I able to taste the fruit unadulterated?
>
> "Mark Willstatter" > wrote in message
> om...
> > "Eric lee" > wrote in message

> > > I have recently open a bottle of Spanish un-oak Tampranillo.
> > > It smell like rotten egg. But slowly fade off with time in the glass.

> > > smell the cork but it smell fine. It's the first time I've tried

un-oak
> > > Tampranillo, just wondering is it normal or the wine is corked.
> > >
> > > Question, How corked wine smell and when the wine is corked, does the

> cork
> > > itself smell bad too?
> > > I've drunk many wine and I've never encounter faulty one before.

> > Eric, "rotten egg" odors are an indication of the presence of hydrogen
> > sulfide, a "reductive" wine fault that can result from - among other
> > things - malnourished yeast during fermentation or improper handling
> > of the wine when it is on the lees (dead yeast cells). As you
> > observed, the smell of hydrogen sulfide often "blows off" with
> > exposure to air, at least in relatively minor cases. A subtly corked
> > bottle, on the other hand, might be detectable only to those familiar
> > with a given wine as an absence of fruit. Aromas in more extreme
> > examples of corkiness are most often described along the lines of
> > "musty" and/or "damp cardboard". People vary widely in their ability
> > to detect TCA, the chemical responsible for corked bottles but just
> > about everyone can smell hydrogen sulfide. A corked bottle tends to
> > get worse, not better, with air. The rotten egg odors you noticed
> > cannot be called "normal" but your bottle was not likely corked, both
> > because the smell is wrong and because it declined with time - unless
> > you were unfortunate enough to find a bottle that was corked in
> > *addition* to having a hydrogen sulfide problem!
> >
> > - Mark W.

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> > wrote:
> >The combination of nitrogen deficiency in the must, use of sulphur
> >dioxide before fermentation, and certain types of yeast give H2S
> >taint.

> Why is nitrogen needed in the must? Is it dissolved in the must? And
> how does its deficiency yield H2S?

Mike,
I suspect that the role of nitrogen in the must is as a nutrient for
the yeast. A low level of nitrogen would lead to early death of the
yeast, which seems to be one of the primary causes of H2S.

Mark Lipton

Steve Slatcher

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 22:26:21 +0100, Ian Hoare
> wrote:

>Salut/Hi Steve Slatcher,
>
> le/on Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, tu disais/you said:-
>
>>On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 23:03:28 +0100, Ian Hoare
> wrote:
>>
>>>Salut/Hi Eric lee,

>>>H2S, often caused by sulphur dropping onto the bottom of a barrel, when the
>>>sulphur "candle" is burnt in it to sterilise it. However as your Tempranillo
>>>isn't oaked that sounds improbable.

>>You're right that it's Hydrogen Sulphide, but that would not be caused
>>by a sulphur candle in the barrel; that would give Sulphur Dioxide
>>taint.

>With respect, I think you ought to read what I said.

OK. Guilty as charged. Though for some reason it weas only on the
2nd re-reading I saw what you were saying - dispite the fact it was
clearly there in black and white.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Mark Willstatter

Mark Lipton > wrote in message >...
> Mike Tommasi wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, Steve Slatcher
> > > wrote:
> > >The combination of nitrogen deficiency in the must, use of sulphur
> > >dioxide before fermentation, and certain types of yeast give H2S
> > >taint.

> > Why is nitrogen needed in the must? Is it dissolved in the must? And
> > how does its deficiency yield H2S?

> Mike,
> I suspect that the role of nitrogen in the must is as a nutrient for
> the yeast. A low level of nitrogen would lead to early death of the
> yeast, which seems to be one of the primary causes of H2S.
>
> Mark Lipton

Mark, that's right - yeast need a long list of nutrients but the most
important ones are oxygen and nitrogen. The need for oxygen is one of
the reasons the cap is "punched down" in making reds, although that
task is often accomplished these days by pumping the wine over the
cap, sometimes even after being aerated. Nitrogen is also often added
(usually in the form of diammonium phosphate, as has already been
noted), sometimes after lab analysis for nitrogen in the must (there's
a technical name for the test that would mean something to you but
escapes *me*), sometimes routinely, especially for varieties that are
known for producing low-nitrogen musts, like Zinfandel and Syrah.

- Mark W.
Vino

On 24 Nov 2003 14:19:19 -0800, (Mark Willstatter)
wrote:

>Mark Lipton > wrote in message >...
>> Mike Tommasi wrote:
>>
>> > On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:30:48 +0000, Steve Slatcher
>> >
>> > Why is nitrogen needed in the must? Is it dissolved in the must? And
>> > how does its deficiency yield H2S?

>> Mike,
>> I suspect that the role of nitrogen in the must is as a nutrient for
>> the yeast. A low level of nitrogen would lead to early death of the
>> yeast, which seems to be one of the primary causes of H2S.
>>
>> Mark Lipton

>Mark, that's right - yeast need a long list of nutrients but the most
>important ones are oxygen and nitrogen. The need for oxygen is one of
>the reasons the cap is "punched down" in making reds, although that
>task is often accomplished these days by pumping the wine over the
>cap, sometimes even after being aerated. Nitrogen is also often added
>(usually in the form of diammonium phosphate, as has already been
>noted), sometimes after lab analysis for nitrogen in the must (there's
>a technical name for the test that would mean something to you but
>escapes *me*), sometimes routinely, especially for varieties that are
>known for producing low-nitrogen musts, like Zinfandel and Syrah.
>
>- Mark W.

It has always been my understanding that yeast did not NEED oxygen as
a nutrient, although for reproductive reasons it would prefer its
presence. It has also been my understanding that if oxygen were
present in sufficient amounts, no alcohol would be produced, only
water and CO2.

I have also never heard that "punching down" the cap while making reds
was for any other purpose than increasing the contact between the
liquid and the skins, thus facilitating the extraction of various
substances from the skins.

Vino
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Steve Slatcher,

le/on Mon, 24 Nov 2003 19:03:42 +0000, tu disais/you said:-

>OK. Guilty as charged. Though for some reason it weas only on the
>2nd re-reading I saw what you were saying - dispite the fact it was
>clearly there in black and white.

It's amazing how often on these NGs one reacts to what one THINKS one reads
and not what is actually written. ;-))) That's the main reason I use an
offline Newsreader. It enables me to re-read my replies and make sure that
I'm - more or less - answering the message!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:44:55 GMT, Vino > wrote:

>I have also never heard that "punching down" the cap while making reds
>was for any other purpose than increasing the contact between the
>liquid and the skins, thus facilitating the extraction of various
>substances from the skins.

Alright, thanks for the info about nitrogen, although nobody I know
ever has the need to add diammonium phosphate.

Now here is another question for the chem wizes, what about the smell
of reduced wine, typical of certain varieties when the must spends too
much time in the barrel or the bottle. Mourvedre tends to reduction,
syrah does not. Smells faintly like rotten eggs, but not quite, more
like burnt rubber. The yeast are the beasties doing this reduction.
What is the reaction going on? Which molecule is responsible for the
smell?

I ask because this smell is more and more present. Try opening 10
bottles of Domaine Tempier, at least 3 have this smell and require a
few hours decanting before it goes away.

It seems to be more present because the new generation of oenologists
has been taught that air is some kind of ghastly monster to be avoided
at all cost: none is allowed in at any stage of winemaking...
everything is done in perfectly anerobic conditions.

Mike

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Now here is another question for the chem wizes, what about the smell
> of reduced wine, typical of certain varieties when the must spends too
> much time in the barrel or the bottle. Mourvedre tends to reduction,
> syrah does not. Smells faintly like rotten eggs, but not quite, more
> like burnt rubber. The yeast are the beasties doing this reduction.
> What is the reaction going on? Which molecule is responsible for the
> smell?

Mike,
That's almost certainly the smell of a thiol (mercaptan). These are
the organic relatives of H2S, and can be equally noxious. Skunk
"perfume" is one such thiol, and the odorant used in natural gas is
another. The funny thing about thiols is that at low levels, many
people find them pleasant: the odor of freshly brewed coffee is primarily
due to a thiol, and many of the "tertiary" aromas of wine are also due to
thiols. The coffee odorant (thiophene-2-thiol) smells like burnt rubber
at higher concentration, and is often found in wine. Thiols are thought
to arise post-fermentation from yeasts during "sur lie" aging:

http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/tom/taste6.htm

> It seems to be more present because the new generation of oenologists
> has been taught that air is some kind of ghastly monster to be avoided
> at all cost: none is allowed in at any stage of winemaking...
> everything is done in perfectly anerobic conditions.

Hopefully, the pendulum will swing yet again, just as it has on the topic
of filtration and fining.

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 11:32:09 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Mike,
> That's almost certainly the smell of a thiol (mercaptan). These are
>the organic relatives of H2S, and can be equally noxious. Skunk
>"perfume" is one such thiol, and the odorant used in natural gas is
>another. The funny thing about thiols is that at low levels, many
>people find them pleasant: the odor of freshly brewed coffee is primarily
>due to a thiol, and many of the "tertiary" aromas of wine are also due to
>thiols. The coffee odorant (thiophene-2-thiol) smells like burnt rubber
>at higher concentration, and is often found in wine. Thiols are thought
>to arise post-fermentation from yeasts during "sur lie" aging:

Thanks Mark, I knew you would precipitate an answer...

When are you and your better half coming over here to smell some of
those reduced wines? ;-)

Mike
Mark Willstatter

Vino > wrote in message >. ..

> It has always been my understanding that yeast did not NEED oxygen as
> a nutrient, although for reproductive reasons it would prefer its
> presence. It has also been my understanding that if oxygen were
> present in sufficient amounts, no alcohol would be produced, only
> water and CO2.
>
> I have also never heard that "punching down" the cap while making reds
> was for any other purpose than increasing the contact between the
> liquid and the skins, thus facilitating the extraction of various
> substances from the skins.
>
> Vino

Vino, there are multiple reasons for punching down the cap. The most
basic, as you say, is to facilitate extraction of goodies from the
skins. A second is that a dry cap is a perfect medium for aerobic
bacteria, notably acetobacter that want to produce volatile acidity
(turn the wine to vinegar, in other words). For that reason it is
important to keep the cap moist. The last reason, as I said before,
is to provide the yeast oxygen and prevent them from producing
hydrogen sulfide.

As for your point about oxygen not being a yeast nutrient, I'm not an
expert about exactly how a yeast uses oxygen, I'm only familiar with
what goes on from a winemaking perspective. What I know is that if
the yeast don't get enough oxygen, they make H2S. Whether that's
because they need it for reproduction or because they need it as a
nutrient amounts to the same thing for practical purposes. As we all
know, oxygen is the enemy of wine once it is fermented but during
fermentation it is necessary. In small batches, the exposed area is
large compared to the volume of the must and punching down generally
introduces the required oxygen. In commercial operations, also as I
mentioned before, you get lots of air introduced during what is called
"pump over" when wine is pumped from beneath the cap and hosed back on
top of it. In some cases when even more aeration is desired, the
fermenting wine is actually shot through the air in a special aeration
device before being pumped on top of the must! I hope that helps.

- Mark W.
Mark Willstatter

Mike Tommasi > wrote in message >. ..
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:44:55 GMT, Vino > wrote:
>

> >I have also never heard that "punching down" the cap while making reds
> >was for any other purpose than increasing the contact between the
> >liquid and the skins, thus facilitating the extraction of various
> >substances from the skins.

> Alright, thanks for the info about nitrogen, although nobody I know
> ever has the need to add diammonium phosphate.
>
> Now here is another question for the chem wizes, what about the smell
> of reduced wine, typical of certain varieties when the must spends too
> much time in the barrel or the bottle. Mourvedre tends to reduction,
> syrah does not. Smells faintly like rotten eggs, but not quite, more
> like burnt rubber. The yeast are the beasties doing this reduction.
> What is the reaction going on? Which molecule is responsible for the
> smell?
>
> I ask because this smell is more and more present. Try opening 10
> bottles of Domaine Tempier, at least 3 have this smell and require a
> few hours decanting before it goes away.
>
> It seems to be more present because the new generation of oenologists
> has been taught that air is some kind of ghastly monster to be avoided
> at all cost: none is allowed in at any stage of winemaking...
> everything is done in perfectly anerobic conditions.
>
> Mike

Mike, Mark Lipton would probably better able to answer this question
but the layman's version is that the two problems are related - one
being just an advanced example of the other. The burnt rubber smell
comes from a class of chemicals called mercaptans. A mercaptan
molecule is the reductive analog of alcohol, in other words an alcohol
molecule with sulfur replacing oxygen - just as hydrogen sulfide (H2S)
is the reductive analog of water. Mercaptan is what can result when a
H2S problem is not dealt with early; that is why most winemakers
prefer prevent H2S formation in the first place (by adding DAP and/or
providing the fermenting most with ample oxygen) or or at least deal
with it as soon as it is detected. In general, my observation is that
this sort of fault is actually much *less* common than in years past
but it sounds like your experience is different!

- Mark W.
JEP

(Mark Willstatter) wrote in message . com>...

> As for your point about oxygen not being a yeast nutrient, I'm not an
> expert about exactly how a yeast uses oxygen, I'm only familiar with
> what goes on from a winemaking perspective. What I know is that if
> the yeast don't get enough oxygen, they make H2S. Whether that's
> because they need it for reproduction or because they need it as a
> nutrient amounts to the same thing for practical purposes.

Yeast use oxygen in a number of ways. I'm not going to get into if it
is actually a nutrient or not because I think that's semantics.

First, they use it in the production of Sterol and Fatty acid
desaturation. Both of these are important for the survival of the
yeast as the alcohol increases. They effect the membrane fluidity and
hence the ability of the cell to control the movement of chemicals
across the cell wall. I believe this is especially important during
the growth phase as half of the Sterols and Fatty acids go to the new
cell when budding occurs and can be depleted rapidly.

They also use it in the degradation of some nitrogen compounds. This
is the case where DAP will help, because I think most (if not all)
yeasts can use DAP without oxygen requiring degradation.

Third, yeast can respirate to create energy. In reality, this doesn't
happen much during wine fermentation because yeast don't respirate if
there is a high level of sugar (at the beginning of fermentation) even
if there is oxygen and respiration is inhibited towards the end of
fermentation by a lack of oxygen and the presence of alcohol.

Andy

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Thanks Mark, I knew you would precipitate an answer...

Chemists are known for their precipitation... ;-)

> When are you and your better half coming over here to smell some of
> those reduced wines? ;-)

Stay tuned, Mike. I may be over there this upcoming summer.

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi

On Thu, 27 Nov 2003 05:54:13 GMT, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Mike Tommasi wrote:
>

>> Thanks Mark, I knew you would precipitate an answer...

>Chemists are known for their precipitation... ;-)
>

>> When are you and your better half coming over here to smell some of
>> those reduced wines? ;-)

>Stay tuned, Mike. I may be over there this upcoming summer.

Isn't the Lord St Helier planning to be here also?

Mike
Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> Isn't the Lord St Helier planning to be here also?

So it is rumored. I have heard rumblings from another (unnamed) afw
reg, too. Could be fun...

Mark Lipton

Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:16:20 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Mike Tommasi wrote:
>
>> Isn't the Lord St Helier planning to be here also?

>So it is rumored. I have heard rumblings from another (unnamed) afw
>reg, too. Could be fun...

Now we just have to get the Tour de France to pass by my town...

Mike