Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: A Tale of 2 Pinots (NYS and Bourgogne AC)

Betsy was in city for taxes and opera, I was in charge of dinner for
Dave and me. I decided on a coq au vin meets cacciatore style dish,
and pondered the wines. I was thinking PN, but had none that I wanted
to sacrifice most of a bottle. Therefore, opened 2 and used a cup of
each for the chicken. Then we sampled both with dinner, and afterwards

2005 Warm Lake Pinot Noir (Niagara Escarpment)
My first Niagara PN, courtesy of Howie Hart. Light color, high
acidity, a bit of prickliness. Obviously cooler climate (reminds me a
bit of good Alsace PN or Spatburgunder). Raspberries, red plums, a
hint of vanilla. Good length, a nice wine. B

2001 Michel Lafarge Bourgogne
So 2001 has a much better rep in the CdNuits than the CdBeaune, mostly
due to hail. Savigny seems pretty solid, but Pommard and Volnay are
spotty, and these vines are just outside Volnay lines. Well, this is
one CdB that I'd drink all week. Lighter framed, with clean zippy
acidity and pure red cherry fruit. Actually this little Bourgogne AC
still has a little tannic grip, and overall the wine is a lovely
example of Burgundian balance. Pure, precise, and pretty. B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

Couple of Pinots Bi!! Wine 4 12-03-2009 05:11 PM
A Chard and Two Pinots Bi!! Wine 1 10-05-2007 03:25 AM
Pinots and parrots Max Hauser Wine 5 13-03-2007 01:12 PM
TN: Pinots on Fri night DaleW Wine 0 12-02-2005 10:42 PM
TN: Whose nose knows Pinots? Max Hauser Wine 5 24-08-2004 06:41 AM