Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Pinots and parrots

Apropos brooding wines, here's something I originally wrote some years ago
based on casual experience of various people's pet birds and various
people's Pinot wines. (Original title "Parrots in Burgundy" which, though
ambiguous, did get it read.)

--
If you've spent any time around both parrots and the wines of Burgundy, you
can't help but see parallels.

Moved to a new environment, the birds typically become indignant and
difficult for a while before settling down -- preening themselves, grumbling
as if to protest such treatment. The wines, likewise, are "off" for a
while after travel, until they settle.

Both are quirky, bulbous, sometimes expensive, and leave awkward
precipitates. Some are bright and cheerful, others indefinitely gloomy. A
few are just bad to the bone, and get threatened with (though rarely used
for) cooking. (A parrot I knew once succeeded in teaching me to mimic her
strange noises, even though perfectly capable of imitating mine. I imagine
her summing up of humans as slow, but trainable.)

That is why I notice some of the bird in the character of the wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Max Hauser wrote:
> If you've spent any time around both parrots and the wines of Burgundy, you
> can't help but see parallels.

Max, Interesting! Similar parallels with parakeets.

.. . . Pete/Houston
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Peter Creasey" in :
> . . .
> Max, Interesting! Similar parallels with parakeets.
>
> . . . Pete/Houston

Greetings Pete! Good to see you here.

I hope that you will have opportunity to share some of your observations
here about Pinots. And/or parakeets.

Cheers -- Max

Posted to alt.food.wine

Max Hauser wrote:
> Greetings Pete! Good to see you here.
> I hope that you will have opportunity to share some of your observations

Hi Max,

I actually don't here as often as I would wish. Most of my posting
these days is on Mouthfuls. Perhaps you might want to register and
participate there...here's a gateway that ought to work if you're
interested

http://mouthfulsfood.com/forums//ind...od.com/forums/

Watch for the Leflaive Macon Verge '04. The Leflaive folks bought a
plot in Macon and this is their first bottling. A lovely, affordable
quaffer!
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Peter Creasey" in t :

> ... Most of my posting these days is on Mouthfuls. Perhaps you might want
> to register and participate there...

Yes, Mouthfuls is one of several established food fora active today, and
relatively civil. In using it in recent years I saw fairly limited traffic
volume on food topics of interest (and a conspicuous implicit regional
focus, apparently among its operators and participants but especially in its
US forum layout, on the Northeast).

One thing that happened in the last decade is that the Internet got Popular
but another, much less noted, is that it got fragmented. In the old days
all the wine traffic was on the wine newsgroup and all the food stuff was on
RFC (earlier net.cooks) or the regional food fora. Life was simpler ...

Posted to alt.food.wine

Max Hauser wrote:
> (and a conspicuous implicit regional
> focus, apparently among its operators and participants but especially in its
> US forum layout, on the Northeast).

Max, Good assessment, in my view!

I might express it even more strongly, especially with reference to OA.
I have been surprised at the ill-feeling toward non-Northeasterners
that was particularly prevalent on OA. MF is more congenial.

Thanks for the email about your "unusual dinner"...very interesting!

--

Couple of Pinots Bi!! Wine 4 12-03-2009 05:11 PM
A Chard and Two Pinots Bi!! Wine 1 10-05-2007 03:25 AM
Parrots Sheldon General Cooking 1 24-04-2006 07:08 PM
Pickled Peppers and Parrots (Muffuletta) Max Hauser General Cooking 3 18-08-2005 07:01 AM
TN: Whose nose knows Pinots? Max Hauser Wine 5 24-08-2004 06:41 AM