Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Couple of Pinots

We got together with a few of our neighbors for a last fling before
returning north and we decided on a Pinot Noir theme. A couple of
whites to start with.

1998 Dauvissat Chablis "La Forest" 1er-No oxidation but not a whole
lot going on. A bit of almond and citrus on the nose, a firm
minerality on the palate. "B-"

2005 Hanzell Chardonnay-deep nose of orange marmalade wilth toast.
Full and rich on the palate. A bit of toasted oak but just a hint.
Lemon curd, and pie crust flavors. Smooth and rich without being over
the top. "B+"

2004 Kongsgaard Chardonnay-Tight knit nose of lemon and stones. Quite
burgundian on the palate with restained citrus and minerals. Just a
faint hint of age on the palate with a finish of old apples.

2006 Ken Wright Savoya Oregon Pinot Noir-Deep purple color, not much
nose to speak of, flavors of candied apple, cola, vanilla and black
raspberry. Too much oak for my palate. Many picked as their wotn. "B
+"

2006 Penner Ash Willamette Valley Pinot Noir-very similar to the Ken
Wright only just a bit less of everthing. Not as balanced and not as
focused. "B-"

2004 Robert Groffier Bonnes Mares-Light red in the glass. Effusive
nose of forest floor, mushrooms and sweet cherries. Huge on the
palate. Cherry, red raspberry, exotic spices, and earthy mineral
notes. Drinking well. My wotn. Drink soon. "A"

2005 Domaine Dujac Charmes Chambertain-Infanticide. Deep burgundy red
in the glass. Bright red and black fruit flavors. Full bodied and
rich but far to young to develop much. I beleive this wine will be
outstanding in ten years but too primary right now to show much of
anything but ripe fruit. 'B+/A-"

2005 SQN Arita Hills Over and Out-SQN's last Pinot bottling. Deep red/
purple color. Very big and thick in the glass. Quite ripe, plenty of
black cherry, blueberry and oak notes. I kept calling it juicy since
it literally made my mouth water. Delicious,but too big for my
tastes. "A-"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 9:46*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> * *We got together with a few of our neighbors for a last fling before
> returning north and we decided on a Pinot Noir theme. *A couple of
> whites to start with.
>
> 1998 Dauvissat Chablis "La Forest" 1er-No oxidation but not a whole
> lot going on. *A bit of almond and citrus on the nose, a firm
> minerality on the palate. "B-"
>
> 2005 Hanzell Chardonnay-deep nose of orange marmalade wilth toast.
> Full and rich on the palate. *A bit of toasted oak but just a hint.
> Lemon curd, and pie crust flavors. *Smooth and rich without being over
> the top. "B+"
>
> 2004 Kongsgaard Chardonnay-Tight knit nose of lemon and stones. *Quite
> burgundian on the palate with restained citrus and minerals. *Just a
> faint hint of age on the palate with a finish of old apples.
>
> 2006 Ken Wright Savoya Oregon Pinot Noir-Deep purple color, not much
> nose to speak of, flavors of candied apple, cola, vanilla and black
> raspberry. *Too much oak for my palate. *Many picked as their wotn. "B
> +"
>
> 2006 Penner Ash Willamette Valley Pinot Noir-very similar to the Ken
> Wright only just a bit less of everthing. *Not as balanced and not as
> focused. *"B-"
>
> 2004 Robert Groffier Bonnes Mares-Light red in the glass. *Effusive
> nose of forest floor, mushrooms and sweet cherries. *Huge on the
> palate. *Cherry, red raspberry, exotic spices, and earthy mineral
> notes. *Drinking well. *My wotn. *Drink soon. *"A"
>
> 2005 Domaine Dujac Charmes Chambertain-Infanticide. *Deep burgundy red
> in the glass. *Bright red and black fruit flavors. *Full bodied and
> rich but far to young to develop much. *I beleive this wine will be
> outstanding in ten years but too primary right now to show much of
> anything but ripe fruit. *'B+/A-"
>
> 2005 SQN Arita Hills Over and Out-SQN's last Pinot bottling. *Deep red/
> purple color. *Very big and thick in the glass. *Quite ripe, plenty of
> black cherry, blueberry and oak notes. *I kept calling it juicy since
> it literally made my mouth water. *Delicious,but too big for my
> tastes. "A-"

Wow, nice lineup. Too bad about the Dauvissat. The Dujac sounds like
it will be great. Groffier is always a little too Dugat-ty for me, but
great quality.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 2:07�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 9:46�am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > � �We got together with a few of our neighbors for a last fling before
> > returning north and we decided on a Pinot Noir theme. �A couple of
> > whites to start with.

> > 1998 Dauvissat Chablis "La Forest" 1er-No oxidation but not a whole
> > lot going on. �A bit of almond and citrus on the nose, a firm
> > minerality on the palate. "B-"

> > 2005 Hanzell Chardonnay-deep nose of orange marmalade wilth toast.
> > Full and rich on the palate. �A bit of toasted oak but just a hint.
> > Lemon curd, and pie crust flavors. �Smooth and rich without being over
> > the top. "B+"

> > 2004 Kongsgaard Chardonnay-Tight knit nose of lemon and stones. �Quite
> > burgundian on the palate with restained citrus and minerals. �Just a
> > faint hint of age on the palate with a finish of old apples.

> > 2006 Ken Wright Savoya Oregon Pinot Noir-Deep purple color, not much
> > nose to speak of, flavors of candied apple, cola, vanilla and black
> > raspberry. �Too much oak for my palate. �Many picked as their wotn. "B
> > +"

> > 2006 Penner Ash Willamette Valley Pinot Noir-very similar to the Ken
> > Wright only just a bit less of everthing. �Not as balanced and not as
> > focused. �"B-"

> > 2004 Robert Groffier Bonnes Mares-Light red in the glass. �Effusive
> > nose of forest floor, mushrooms and sweet cherries. �Huge on the
> > palate. �Cherry, red raspberry, exotic spices, and earthy mineral
> > notes. �Drinking well. �My wotn. �Drink soon. �"A"

> > 2005 Domaine Dujac Charmes Chambertain-Infanticide. �Deep burgundy red
> > in the glass. �Bright red and black fruit flavors. �Full bodied and
> > rich but far to young to develop much. �I beleive this wine will be
> > outstanding in ten years but too primary right now to show much of
> > anything but ripe fruit. �'B+/A-"

> > 2005 SQN Arita Hills Over and Out-SQN's last Pinot bottling. �Deep red/
> > purple color. �Very big and thick in the glass. �Quite ripe, plenty of
> > black cherry, blueberry and oak notes. �I kept calling it juicy since
> > it literally made my mouth water. �Delicious,but too big for my
> > tastes. "A-"

> Wow, nice lineup. Too bad about the Dauvissat. The Dujac sounds like
> it will be great. Groffier is always a little too Dugat-ty for me, but
> great quality.- Hide quoted text -

By "Dugat-y" I assume you mean over extracted or heavy? In this case
the 2004 Groffier was quite tradiionally Borgogne-ish especially for
Bonnes Mares. Very aromatic, quite elegant and stylish with very
tradional weight and balance. Perhaps the best 2004 I've had showing
no green streak and very pure pinot fruit.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 2:31*pm, wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:07 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Mar 11, 9:46 am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > We got together with a few of our neighbors for a last fling before
> > > returning north and we decided on a Pinot Noir theme. A couple of
> > > whites to start with.

> > > 1998 Dauvissat Chablis "La Forest" 1er-No oxidation but not a whole
> > > lot going on. A bit of almond and citrus on the nose, a firm
> > > minerality on the palate. "B-"

> > > 2005 Hanzell Chardonnay-deep nose of orange marmalade wilth toast.
> > > Full and rich on the palate. A bit of toasted oak but just a hint.
> > > Lemon curd, and pie crust flavors. Smooth and rich without being over
> > > the top. "B+"

> > > 2004 Kongsgaard Chardonnay-Tight knit nose of lemon and stones. Quite
> > > burgundian on the palate with restained citrus and minerals. Just a
> > > faint hint of age on the palate with a finish of old apples.

> > > 2006 Ken Wright Savoya Oregon Pinot Noir-Deep purple color, not much
> > > nose to speak of, flavors of candied apple, cola, vanilla and black
> > > raspberry. Too much oak for my palate. Many picked as their wotn. "B
> > > +"

> > > 2006 Penner Ash Willamette Valley Pinot Noir-very similar to the Ken
> > > Wright only just a bit less of everthing. Not as balanced and not as
> > > focused. "B-"

> > > 2004 Robert Groffier Bonnes Mares-Light red in the glass. Effusive
> > > nose of forest floor, mushrooms and sweet cherries. Huge on the
> > > palate. Cherry, red raspberry, exotic spices, and earthy mineral
> > > notes. Drinking well. My wotn. Drink soon. "A"

> > > 2005 Domaine Dujac Charmes Chambertain-Infanticide. Deep burgundy red
> > > in the glass. Bright red and black fruit flavors. Full bodied and
> > > rich but far to young to develop much. I beleive this wine will be
> > > outstanding in ten years but too primary right now to show much of
> > > anything but ripe fruit. 'B+/A-"

> > > 2005 SQN Arita Hills Over and Out-SQN's last Pinot bottling. Deep red/
> > > purple color. Very big and thick in the glass. Quite ripe, plenty of
> > > black cherry, blueberry and oak notes. I kept calling it juicy since
> > > it literally made my mouth water. Delicious,but too big for my
> > > tastes. "A-"

> > Wow, nice lineup. Too bad about the Dauvissat. The Dujac sounds like
> > it will be great. Groffier is always a little too Dugat-ty for me, but
> > great quality.- Hide quoted text -

> By "Dugat-y" I assume you mean over extracted or heavy? *In this case
> the 2004 Groffier was quite tradiionally Borgogne-ish especially for
> Bonnes Mares. *Very aromatic, quite elegant and stylish with very
> tradional weight and balance. *Perhaps the best 2004 I've had showing
> no green streak and very pure pinot fruit.

Actually, Dugat was a bad example, maybe I should have said Le Moine-
esque or Girardin-y, as I'm referring mostly to oak (Dugat has the
oak, but also the extraction). I just find that most Groffiers have a
lot of that charred oak edge (I've not had the Bonnes Mares).
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 11, 4:37�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Mar 11, 2:31�pm, wrote:

> > > Wow, nice lineup. Too bad about the Dauvissat. The Dujac sounds like
> > > it will be great. Groffier is always a little too Dugat-ty for me, but
> > > great quality.- Hide quoted text -

> > By "Dugat-y" I assume you mean over extracted or heavy? �In this case
> > the 2004 Groffier was quite tradiionally Borgogne-ish especially for
> > Bonnes Mares. �Very aromatic, quite elegant and stylish with very
> > tradional weight and balance. �Perhaps the best 2004 I've had showing
> > no green streak and very pure pinot fruit.

> Actually, Dugat was a bad example, maybe I should have said Le Moine-
> esque or Girardin-y, as I'm referring mostly to oak (Dugat has the
> oak, but also the extraction). I just find that most Groffiers have a
> lot of that charred oak edge (I've not had the Bonnes Mares).- Hide quoted text -

No charred oak notes. Basically a very traditionally styled Pinot
that looks and smells like "pre-Parker" Burgundy. Perfumed nose,
smooth elegant fruit, delightful yet powerful and complex.

TN: Back to NY- young Nebbiolo, couple Kabs, couple Chardonnays, etc DaleW Wine 9 20-08-2014 08:58 PM
A Chard and Two Pinots Bi!! Wine 1 10-05-2007 03:25 AM
Pinots and parrots Max Hauser Wine 5 13-03-2007 02:12 PM
TN: Lagrange, de Pez, Brunello, couple Burgs, couple Austrian stickies, Port DaleW Wine 9 19-01-2006 02:33 PM
TN: Pinots on Fri night DaleW Wine 0 12-02-2005 11:42 PM