Foxsrus1

Default Chill Gamay Beaujolais?

or not?
Robèrt Koopman

"Foxsrus1" wrote :

> or not?

Some say drink this between 11-13C (is 51-55F(?)), so yes

Regards,

Robèrt

Robèrt Koopman

"Foxsrus1" wrote :

> or not?

Some say drink this between 11-13C (is 51-55F(?)), so yes

Regards,

Robèrt

Timothy Hartley

In message > you wrote:

> or not?

I would say that it depended on style and age. I would not
chill a good old Morgon or Moulin, I would be more inclined to serve a
young simple AoC Beaujolais at cellar temperature and perhaps a
Chiroubles or young Fleurie. However even some of the southern
Beaujolais - from around Bois d‘Oingt and Theizé can age well and
would be better at cool room temerature than chilled, in my view.

Timothy Hartle
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Foxsrus1,

le/on 11 Sep 2004 04:30:29 GMT, tu disais/you said:-

>or not?

I'm somewhat at a loss to work out what wine you're talking about. All red
Beaujolais is made from the Gamay grape.

Anyway, many Beaujolais seem to work well at cellar temperature - say 45 to
50F. I'd not freeze its poor socks off, by the way, cool, not icy is the
order of the day. If you have a top Beaujolais Cru such as Moulin à Vent or
a Morgon with some age (yes, Cru Beaujolais DO age well, becoming more and
more Burgundian as they age) then you should serve it at "room temperature"
but that's not an over central heated room at 85 or 90Fm, it's the room
temperature in a large house in the "good old days", say 62-65F

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Timothy Hartley

In message >
Ian Hoare > wrote:

> Salut/Hi Foxsrus1,
>
> le/on 11 Sep 2004 04:30:29 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >or not?

> I'm somewhat at a loss to work out what wine you're talking about. All red
> Beaujolais is made from the Gamay grape.
>
> Anyway, many Beaujolais seem to work well at cellar temperature - say 45 to
> 50F. I'd not freeze its poor socks off, by the way, cool, not icy is the
> order of the day. If you have a top Beaujolais Cru such as Moulin à Vent or
> a Morgon with some age (yes, Cru Beaujolais DO age well, becoming more and
> more Burgundian as they age) then you should serve it at "room temperature"
> but that's not an over central heated room at 85 or 90Fm, it's the room
> temperature in a large house in the "good old days", say 62-65F

I had assumed the poster was distinguishing between red Beaujolais and the white
and rosé which is sometimes seen - and which can be quite drinkable.
Otherwise I agree with Ian as is apparent from my post.
Timothy Hartley
Timothy Hartley

In message >
Ian Hoare > wrote:

> Salut/Hi Foxsrus1,
>
> le/on 11 Sep 2004 04:30:29 GMT, tu disais/you said:-
>
> >or not?

> I'm somewhat at a loss to work out what wine you're talking about. All red
> Beaujolais is made from the Gamay grape.
>
> Anyway, many Beaujolais seem to work well at cellar temperature - say 45 to
> 50F. I'd not freeze its poor socks off, by the way, cool, not icy is the
> order of the day. If you have a top Beaujolais Cru such as Moulin à Vent or
> a Morgon with some age (yes, Cru Beaujolais DO age well, becoming more and
> more Burgundian as they age) then you should serve it at "room temperature"
> but that's not an over central heated room at 85 or 90Fm, it's the room
> temperature in a large house in the "good old days", say 62-65F

I had assumed the poster was distinguishing between red Beaujolais and the white
and rosé which is sometimes seen - and which can be quite drinkable.
Otherwise I agree with Ian as is apparent from my post.
Timothy Hartley
Tom S

"Ian Hoare" > wrote in message
news
> If you have a top Beaujolais Cru such as Moulin à Vent or
> a Morgon with some age (yes, Cru Beaujolais DO age well, becoming more and
> more Burgundian as they age) then you should serve it at "room

temperature"
> but that's not an over central heated room at 85 or 90Fm, it's the room
> temperature in a large house in the "good old days", say 62-65F

Hello, Ian -
Brrr! Those "good old days" were too cold for me! :^)
Any time it dips below 70°F I get chilly.

As an aside: although I like warm weather, it's been a bit too much of a
good thing lately here. I've taken to keeping the opened bottle of Port in
the 'fridge.

Tom S

Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare wrote:

> I'm somewhat at a loss to work out what wine you're talking about. All red
> Beaujolais is made from the Gamay grape.

Ian,
Though the headers don't reveal a location, I'll hazard a guess that
the OP is from the US, where light-bodied red wines are produced with
"Gamay Beaujolais" on the label. The grape used is NOT true Gamay
(though originally thought to be Gamay) but a clone of Pinot Noir, which
may help explain why Europeans would not be familiar with it... FWIW,
the name will cease to be legally used in 2007:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36987
[Brought to you, ironically, by the people who gave us SPAM :P]

Mark Lipton
Mark Lipton

Ian Hoare wrote:

> I'm somewhat at a loss to work out what wine you're talking about. All red
> Beaujolais is made from the Gamay grape.

Ian,
Though the headers don't reveal a location, I'll hazard a guess that
the OP is from the US, where light-bodied red wines are produced with
"Gamay Beaujolais" on the label. The grape used is NOT true Gamay
(though originally thought to be Gamay) but a clone of Pinot Noir, which
may help explain why Europeans would not be familiar with it... FWIW,
the name will cease to be legally used in 2007:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36987
[Brought to you, ironically, by the people who gave us SPAM :P]

Mark Lipton

Foxsrus1

<<
Ian,
Though the headers don't reveal a location, I'll hazard a guess that
the OP is from the US, where light-bodied red wines are produced with
"Gamay Beaujolais" on the label. The grape used is NOT true Gamay
(though originally thought to be Gamay) but a clone of Pinot Noir, which
may help explain why Europeans would not be familiar with it... FWIW,
the name will cease to be legally used in 2007:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36987
[Brought to you, ironically, by the people who gave us SPAM :P]

Mark Lipton
----------------------
Right you are...Florida (waiting for another hurricane)
it's an accessible inexpensive wine... California... from the "Vendange"
cellars so you folks will probably sneer your disapproval...but it's
nice...and it is a "California Pinot Noir".

Hunt

In article >,
says...

><<
>Ian,
> Though the headers don't reveal a location, I'll hazard a guess that
>the OP is from the US, where light-bodied red wines are produced with
>"Gamay Beaujolais" on the label. The grape used is NOT true Gamay
>(though originally thought to be Gamay) but a clone of Pinot Noir, which
>may help explain why Europeans would not be familiar with it... FWIW,
>the name will cease to be legally used in 2007:

http://www.hormel.com/kitchen/glossary.asp?id=36987
>[Brought to you, ironically, by the people who gave us SPAM :P]
>
>Mark Lipton
>----------------------
>Right you are...Florida (waiting for another hurricane)
>it's an accessible inexpensive wine... California... from the "Vendange"
>cellars so you folks will probably sneer your disapproval...but it's
>nice...and it is a "California Pinot Noir".

First, may Ivan go someplace ELSE!

Second, if I recall correctly, the term "Gamay Beaujolais" will soon be phased
out of US wine lingo, along with "Johannisberg Riesling." There were several C
Coast CA producers, who called their grape Gamay Beaujolais, but I have not
seen it in a while. As I recall the few (J Lohr comes to mind), they were
light, Noveaux Beaujolais in style, and if this is the wine, I would chill it
even below cellar temp.

Those few that I tasted, were very floral, with light strawberry fruit, and
good for picnic wines, if one did not have a Tavel.

Hunt

RobertsonChai

Hunt sez:

>Second, if I recall correctly, the term "Gamay Beaujolais" will soon be
>phased
>out of US wine lingo, along with "Johannisberg Riesling." There were several
>Coast CA producers, who called their grape Gamay Beaujolais, but I have not
>seen it in a while. As I recall the few (J Lohr comes to mind), they were
>light, Noveaux Beaujolais in style, and if this is the wine, I would chill it
>
>even below cellar temp.
>
>Those few that I tasted, were very floral, with light strawberry fruit, and
>good for picnic wines, if one did not have a Tavel.

Shoot, you guys (and the US gummint) have blown my cover!!!!

'Gamay Beaujolais' , in California, has for 30 years been known by experts as a
lighter clone of Pinot Noir----but NOT for the rest of der vein-drinkin'
population!

For many years, when I was a California winemaker, I cherished the thought of
coming home from the supermarket with an interesting, but cheap, "burgundy".

I'm not talking about nouveau, carbonic macerated Gamay---with its unctious
strawberry aromas and popcicle flavors.

That's France and bicyclettes, and helicopters in November---and gratefully,
that 1980s custom is dead. But I once used it as a foil for purchasing
California Gamay Beaujolais, PRECISELY because other customers thought it was
the wrong thing.

We're talking about Gamay Beaujolais, a clone of Pinot Noir, which is made into
a "straight" wine, albeit light.

California 'Gamay Beaujolias', when it's bad, is just bad wine. But when it's
good---REALLY good, as in the old days of Beaulieu Napa Valley Gamay
Beaujolais, in the 1980s---it resembled a poor man's Volnay, or Monthelie, but
at $3. ! ! !

I regret and resent that this "winemakers' secret" is now being dissected and
put to rest.

Even some of the the current versions of Gamay Beaujolais, from mass producers,
can be delightful, in the context of a light French Burgundy.

So what's going on in this world? Is the Pinot Noir world now forced to
emulate bold and tannic Chambertin (at consequent prices)?

Why can't we have a cheap, light Pinot Noir for quaffing?

--Bob
Timothy Hartley

Just as a footnote does this discussion about the
meaning of Beaujolais Gamay prove the old saw about
a people divided by a common langauge?

Timothy Hartley

Timothy Hartley

Just as a footnote does this discussion about the
meaning of Beaujolais Gamay prove the old saw about
a people divided by a common langauge?

Timothy Hartley

Ketchup debate: To chill or not to chill graham[_4_] General Cooking 79 11-02-2017 08:57 PM
TN: Gamay (not legally Beaujolais), Spatburgunder/PN from Pfalz,Riesling (Saar er I mean Mosel) DaleW Wine 0 08-03-2012 07:26 PM
TN: Gamay from Beaujolais and Loire, plus a southern VdP DaleW Wine 0 13-12-2008 05:56 PM
Merlot chill no chill? DotCom Wine 5 25-07-2005 09:15 PM
Oaking gamay/beaujolais style reds glad heart Winemaking 3 07-02-2004 01:26 AM