DotCom

Default Merlot chill no chill?

Hello,
We brought some wine to a party some white that was chilled and some room
temp Merlot. The red sat out at what was a very warm home so room temp was
already hot. When we left, no one drank the red and someone stuck it in our
ice chest to take back home with us. We did not discover this until we
arrived home 3 hours later and of course by that time the Merlot was quite
chilled! So then I did not know whether to stick it in the frig since it
was already ice cold, or put it out at room temp again as it's supposed to
be. I decided to leave it out at room temp but now I am wondering if this
wine will go bad going from room temp, to hotter room temp to ice cold back
the room temp. Anyone have this ever happen or know what will happen to
this wine?
TIA
Peggy

Jose

I don't know what will happen to the wine, but what I do with my opened
wine is stick it in the fridge (after corking with VacuVin). When I
want a drink of red, I pour out a glass, pop it in the microwave for
five to ten seconds (depending on the nuke's power) and then pour that
into a wine glass. It gently takes the chill off and doesn't seem to
affect the taste (at least no more than drinking it a week after it's
been opened has already affected it).

I believe (but haven't verified empirically) that warming and cooling
repeatedly, such as repeatedly allowing the bottle to come to
temperature by itself and then putting it back in the fridge) isn't good
for it, and storing at room temperature once opened isn't good either
(chemical reactions occur slower at cooler temps, and volitile compounds
evaporate less quickly).

I do wonder whether sucking the air out and thus lowering the pressure
using the vacuvin device also reduces the volitile compounds (sucking
the nose out, as it were).

Jose
--
Nothing takes longer than a shortcut.
Emery Davis

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 16:26:36 GMT, "DotCom" > said:

[...]
]

Hi Peggy,

Your bottle will be fine, don't worry about it. Let it go back to
whatever temperature you prefer. Open as needed.

You might try it slightly chilled even, and find it a pleasant change.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to
Ken Blake

In ,
DotCom > typed:

> We did
> not discover this until we arrived home 3 hours later and of
> course
> by that time the Merlot was quite chilled! So then I did not
> know
> whether to stick it in the frig since it was already ice cold,
> or put
> it out at room temp again as it's supposed to be. I decided to
> leave
> it out at room temp but now I am wondering if this wine will go
> bad
> going from room temp, to hotter room temp to ice cold back the
> room
> temp. Anyone have this ever happen or know what will happen to
> this
> wine?

Three points:

1. Leave it out of the refrigerator. If you did this repeatedly,
it might cause a problem, but going back and and forth in
temperature once or twice won't hurt it.

2. You say "room temp ... as it's supposed to be." But be aware
that when you are advised to drink red wines at room temperature,
that doesn't mean the room temperature that most US houses are
kept at, but more like the temperature in British country
houses--around 60 degress F. It's often been said that most
Americans drink reds too warm and whites too cold.

3. Over and above what "room temperature" means, what temperature
to drink a red wine at depends on the particular wine and also on
*your* taste. To most people, bigger red wines usally taste
better somewhat warmer than lighter ones, so for example you
might want a Shiraz to be warmer than a Beaujolais (which is
often served lightly chilled).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

DotCom

Ahhhhh
Thank you all very much.
Peggy

AyTee

| I do wonder whether sucking the air out and thus lowering the
pressure
| using the vacuvin device also reduces the volitile compounds (sucking

| the nose out, as it were).

I have wondered about this issue as well. In fact, I stopped using
vacuvin. Now I simply recork and refrigerate -- sometimes in a
half-bottle, so less head space.

Andy

Ketchup debate: To chill or not to chill graham[_4_] General Cooking 79 11-02-2017 08:57 PM
Tic Tac Chill Julie Bove Diabetic 3 11-12-2009 09:50 PM
EVERYONE DRINK SOME TEA AND CHILL [email protected] Tea 6 29-05-2007 03:34 PM
Chill then Fine, or Fine then Chill - All in a Corny? [email protected] Winemaking 5 12-05-2006 04:26 AM
let's all chill out Momzilla Vegan 4 17-06-2004 08:13 PM