Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Gamay from Beaujolais and Loire, plus a southern VdP

Friday with a quick dinner of leftovers, the 2007 Familie Iche "Les
Heretiques" Vin de Pays de l'Herault. Juicy, forward, earthy, nice.
Dark berries, decent acids for the south, not trying to be anything
more than what it is - a nice ripe and slightly rustic red. I miss the
days this was $6, but at $9 still a very good value. B

Later, I went over to Marc's for our monthly local tasting group.
Theme was Gamay, blind as usual.

Wine #1 : black cherries and raspberries, nice balance of ripeness and
acids, a nicely structured Beaujolais with good length, a bit of a
coffee note makes me confused for a moment. I like a lot. All agree a
bigger Beaujolais, I take a stab at Julienas or Brouilly. It's the
2006 Diochon "Vieilles Vignes" Moulin-a-Vent. B+

Wine #2: This is mine, so no guesses. Out of magnum, redder fruit,
bright acids, a pretty good dose of horse's ass. Too bretty for one
taster, a couple of others say they like, couple others question what
we are talking about. It's just under my limit, much more and I
wouldn't drink this, as it is I revisit a couple of times during
night. Holding up well for it's age, the one guess is late 90s, it's
the 1989 Pierre Ferraud (Domaine Rolland) Brouilly. B/B-

Wine #3- again, a rather structured and ripe Beaujolais. I like,
remark it's similar to the first, so I'm guessing 2006. Rob tries to
throw false hints, but it is similar, it's also the 2006 Diochon
"Vieilles Vignes" Moulin-a-Vent. B+/B

Roger and Rob both bought at local store, where there is limited
selection of non-DuBoeuf Beaujolais. Turns out Alex ALSO brought the
same wine, so I tell him to put cork back in, and we'll use my backup
bottle.

Wine #4- Dark color, black and red fruit, moderate acidity, light
tannins. I'm not loving this, but not bad. I'm thinking Moulin-a-Vent
or Morgon, but I'm in wrong region, it's the Loire, though without
that potted plant/geranium thing I often get in Loire Gamay. NV
Puzelat "Le Telquel" B/B-

Wine #5- Red candied fruit, a little herbal note, not impressed, I'm
thinking '03 Beaujolais, wrong region again, once I know I do get
just a hint of the pottled plant thing. It's the 2005 Bellevue
Touraine Gamay, C+

Wine #6 - my backup substituted for third Diochon. Nice ripe red and
black cherries, some smoke, decent finish. 2006 Brun (Terres Dorees)
Cote de Brouilly. B+/B

Wine #7 - maraschino cherries with pine needles and green pepper,
short, really my least favorite of the night. 2007 Cloister de Clerget
Beaujolais-Villages. C

Fun night with the guys, spirited debates about music and life.

TN: Gamay (not legally Beaujolais), Spatburgunder/PN from Pfalz,Riesling (Saar er I mean Mosel) DaleW Wine 0 08-03-2012 07:26 PM
TN: 1979 Gruaud, plus 3 roses and a Loire gamay DaleW Wine 0 23-07-2009 07:12 PM
TN: 2 Beaujolais (1 pink), 1 Loire DaleW Wine 0 05-02-2009 04:27 PM
Chill Gamay Beaujolais? Foxsrus1 Wine 15 12-09-2004 03:13 PM
Oaking gamay/beaujolais style reds glad heart Winemaking 3 07-02-2004 01:26 AM