pavane

Default This seems like as good a place as any (What liquor to buy?)

"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

> list things ... uniquely English?)

Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

pavane

pavane

"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

> list things ... uniquely English?)

Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

pavane

Mike Tommasi

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:54:50 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
>> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
>> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

>> list things ... uniquely English?)
>>

>Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

English?

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 12:54:50 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
>> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
>> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

>> list things ... uniquely English?)
>>

>Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

English?

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Pete Fraser

"pavane" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> > My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors

> > should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

> > list things ... uniquely English?)
> >

> Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

Even the name's a clue.
Scotch is from Scotland.

Pete Fraser

"pavane" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> > My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors

> > should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

> > list things ... uniquely English?)
> >

> Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.

Even the name's a clue.
Scotch is from Scotland.

pavane

"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> > > My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any

liquors
> > > should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be

looking
> > > list things ... uniquely English?)
> > >

> > Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.
> >

> Even the name's a clue.
> Scotch is from Scotland.

So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...

pavane

"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message

> "pavane" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >
> > "Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> > > My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any

liquors
> > > should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be

looking
> > > list things ... uniquely English?)
> > >

> > Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.
> >

> Even the name's a clue.
> Scotch is from Scotland.

So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...

Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:48:20 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pavane" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>liquors

>looking
>> > >

>> > Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.
>> >

>> Even the name's a clue.
>> Scotch is from Scotland.
>>

>So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
>worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...

Would you serve it with a Welsh haggis?

;-)))

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:48:20 GMT, "pavane"
> wrote:

>"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message
>>
>> "pavane" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>liquors

>looking
>> > >

>> > Single Malt Scotch, the more expensive the better.
>> >

>> Even the name's a clue.
>> Scotch is from Scotland.
>>

>So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
>worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...

Would you serve it with a Welsh haggis?

;-)))

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
pavane

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:48:20 GMT, "pavane"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "pavane" > wrote in message
> >> .. .

> >liquors

> >looking

> >> Even the name's a clue.
> >> Scotch is from Scotland.
> >>

> >So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
> >worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...
> >

> Would you serve it with a Welsh haggis?

Gosh yes! But I didn't know they used the Welsh for haggis,
thought it was still little sheep and the like.

Remember: only three months until Haggis Season and the
Great Haggis Hunt! http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

pavane

pavane

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 01:48:20 GMT, "pavane"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Pete Fraser" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> "pavane" > wrote in message
> >> .. .

> >liquors

> >looking

> >> Even the name's a clue.
> >> Scotch is from Scotland.
> >>

> >So you want him to ask for gin? There ain't no English whisk(e)y
> >worth mentioning, eh? Not hardly. Your suggestion, then...
> >

> Would you serve it with a Welsh haggis?

Gosh yes! But I didn't know they used the Welsh for haggis,
thought it was still little sheep and the like.

Remember: only three months until Haggis Season and the
Great Haggis Hunt! http://haggishunt.scotsman.com/

pavane

Dan Gravell

Jamal Chapultapec wrote:

> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking to
> list things ... uniquely English?)

Plymouth Gin?

Dan Gravell

Jamal Chapultapec wrote:

> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors I
> should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking to
> list things ... uniquely English?)

Plymouth Gin?
pavane

"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> Dan Gravell > wrote in
> :
>
> > Jamal Chapultapec wrote:
> >
> >> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any
> >> liquors I should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so
> >> I'd be looking to list things ... uniquely English?)

> > Plymouth Gin?

> OK, onto the list it goes. Thanks!
>
> All those responses and this is the first useful one.

Sorry, we thought you were looking for good stuff.

How about Beefeater Gin, Boodles Gin, Tanqueray Gin,
Bombay Gin, Gordon's Gin, Raffles Gin, London Hill Gin,
McGuiness Gin, Hendrick's Gin (oops, oh my goodness,
sorry...that is from Scotland. Geez!), Greenall's Gin,
Bombadier Military Gin, Bellringer Gin, Bafferts Gin, and
don't forget the Schweppes tonic. Guinness Stout would
make a marvelous chaser but it is from Ireland, perish the
thought, we must maintain the Racial Purity in this highly
subdivided Island. So sorry we wasted your time.

pavane

pavane

"Jamal Chapultapec" > wrote in message
> Dan Gravell > wrote in
> :
>
> > Jamal Chapultapec wrote:
> >
> >> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any
> >> liquors I should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so
> >> I'd be looking to list things ... uniquely English?)

> > Plymouth Gin?

> OK, onto the list it goes. Thanks!
>
> All those responses and this is the first useful one.

Sorry, we thought you were looking for good stuff.

How about Beefeater Gin, Boodles Gin, Tanqueray Gin,
Bombay Gin, Gordon's Gin, Raffles Gin, London Hill Gin,
McGuiness Gin, Hendrick's Gin (oops, oh my goodness,
sorry...that is from Scotland. Geez!), Greenall's Gin,
Bombadier Military Gin, Bellringer Gin, Bafferts Gin, and
don't forget the Schweppes tonic. Guinness Stout would
make a marvelous chaser but it is from Ireland, perish the
thought, we must maintain the Racial Purity in this highly
subdivided Island. So sorry we wasted your time.

pavane

Hunt

In article >, says...

:

>> "Hunt" > escreveu na mensagem
>>> In article >,

>> says...

>>> I'd suggest that he look into the Ports. Though obviously not English
>>> in origin, were it not for Britain, Port would not exist, as it does
>>> today.

>> He
>>> will also be exposed to Ports that are just not available outside
>>> England,

>> or
>>> Oporto. Both in the retail outlets, or in duty free, there should be

>> wonderful
>>> wines available. If you are in the US, the selection will exceed all
>>> but

>> the
>>> best Web sellers, and offer some wonderful wines.
>>>
>>> Hunt
>>>

>> That is indeed a good ideia. Also please remember that real Ports are
>> only those comming from Porto (Oporto) in Portugal.
>>
>> In the US he risks buying a Californian Port for mistake...

>Any particular brands you'd suggest?

That depends almost solely on what is available in your area of residence. You
might want to do a quick check of available brands and then point your father
toward ones that are NOT available to you, as the cost is likely greater in
UK. However, vintage years, and bottlers that are unavailable would be worth
the price. I usually look for older Taylor Fladgate, Fonseca, Dow, Croft,
Grahams, and a few more of the upper tiers of producers (though these
producers newer offerings are available to me). Then there are tons of lower
tier producers, that don't see much distribution in the US. Also, many of
the more popular producers offer a wider range of single quinta (basically
single vineyard) Ports, that also don't get wide distribution in US. These are
often produced in years that the house does not declare a "vintage," though
believe that with certain limitations, their single quinta Ports are worthy of
a separate vintage (very simplified example). I'd not go for any Tawnys,
unless you can find a rare producer, that is just not in US, though I love
Tawnys as a rule. Same for the "branded" "Boardroom," "Special Ruby," etc.

Let me know what you have access to, and I'll be glad to give you a list of
some houses, that I have acquired in London, or its environs.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >, says...

:

>> "Hunt" > escreveu na mensagem
>>> In article >,

>> says...

>>> I'd suggest that he look into the Ports. Though obviously not English
>>> in origin, were it not for Britain, Port would not exist, as it does
>>> today.

>> He
>>> will also be exposed to Ports that are just not available outside
>>> England,

>> or
>>> Oporto. Both in the retail outlets, or in duty free, there should be

>> wonderful
>>> wines available. If you are in the US, the selection will exceed all
>>> but

>> the
>>> best Web sellers, and offer some wonderful wines.
>>>
>>> Hunt
>>>

>> That is indeed a good ideia. Also please remember that real Ports are
>> only those comming from Porto (Oporto) in Portugal.
>>
>> In the US he risks buying a Californian Port for mistake...

>Any particular brands you'd suggest?

That depends almost solely on what is available in your area of residence. You
might want to do a quick check of available brands and then point your father
toward ones that are NOT available to you, as the cost is likely greater in
UK. However, vintage years, and bottlers that are unavailable would be worth
the price. I usually look for older Taylor Fladgate, Fonseca, Dow, Croft,
Grahams, and a few more of the upper tiers of producers (though these
producers newer offerings are available to me). Then there are tons of lower
tier producers, that don't see much distribution in the US. Also, many of
the more popular producers offer a wider range of single quinta (basically
single vineyard) Ports, that also don't get wide distribution in US. These are
often produced in years that the house does not declare a "vintage," though
believe that with certain limitations, their single quinta Ports are worthy of
a separate vintage (very simplified example). I'd not go for any Tawnys,
unless you can find a rare producer, that is just not in US, though I love
Tawnys as a rule. Same for the "branded" "Boardroom," "Special Ruby," etc.

Let me know what you have access to, and I'll be glad to give you a list of
some houses, that I have acquired in London, or its environs.

Hunt

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>"Hunt" > escreveu na mensagem
>> In article >,

>says...
>> >
>> >My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any liquors

>> >should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so I'd be looking

>> >list things ... uniquely English?)

>> I'd suggest that he look into the Ports. Though obviously not English in
>> origin, were it not for Britain, Port would not exist, as it does today.

>He
>> will also be exposed to Ports that are just not available outside England,

>or
>> Oporto. Both in the retail outlets, or in duty free, there should be

>wonderful
>> wines available. If you are in the US, the selection will exceed all but

>the
>> best Web sellers, and offer some wonderful wines.
>>
>> Hunt
>>

>That is indeed a good ideia. Also please remember that real Ports are only
>those comming from Porto (Oporto) in Portugal.
>
>In the US he risks buying a Californian Port for mistake...
>
>Compliments
>Ricardo

www.portugalregional.pt

Absolutely. I use the difference in capitalization to differentiate Port from
port (whether CA, WA, OZ, or wherever that port-style wines are produced).

If one is looking for Port (that wonderful Oporto liquid), then accidently
picking up one for CA, or where ever else it is produced, would be a mistake.
However, that said, there are many good port-style wines produced outside of
Oporto. The buyer just needs to know that it WILL be different, though may be
quite good.

Hunt

Cggeorgecox

>>> My father is going to England for a business trip. Are there any
>>> liquors I should ask him to pick up for me? (I live in the U.S., so
>>> I'd be looking to list things ... uniquely English?)

>> Plymouth Gin?

>OK, onto the list it goes. Thanks!

Plymouth Gin is available here in the USA, kentucky anyway

George

Ricardo Ferreira

"Hunt" > escreveu na mensagem
> In article >,

says...

> >"Ricardo Ferreira" > wrote in
> :
> >

> >> "Hunt" > escreveu na mensagem

> >> says...

> >> He
> >> or
> >> wonderful
> >> the

> >> That is indeed a good ideia. Also please remember that real Ports are
> >> only those comming from Porto (Oporto) in Portugal.
> >>
> >> In the US he risks buying a Californian Port for mistake...

> >Any particular brands you'd suggest?

> That depends almost solely on what is available in your area of residence.

You
> might want to do a quick check of available brands and then point your

father
> toward ones that are NOT available to you, as the cost is likely greater

in
> UK. However, vintage years, and bottlers that are unavailable would be

worth
> the price. I usually look for older Taylor Fladgate, Fonseca, Dow, Croft,
> Grahams, and a few more of the upper tiers of producers (though these
> producers newer offerings are available to me). Then there are tons of

lower
> tier producers, that don't see much distribution in the US. Also, many of
> the more popular producers offer a wider range of single quinta (basically
> single vineyard) Ports, that also don't get wide distribution in US. These

are
> often produced in years that the house does not declare a "vintage,"

though
> believe that with certain limitations, their single quinta Ports are

worthy of
> a separate vintage (very simplified example). I'd not go for any Tawnys,
> unless you can find a rare producer, that is just not in US, though I love
> Tawnys as a rule. Same for the "branded" "Boardroom," "Special Ruby," etc.
>
> Let me know what you have access to, and I'll be glad to give you a list

of
> some houses, that I have acquired in London, or its environs.
>
> Hunt

If possible I'd also suggest to try a Lagrima. It's not a brand it's a
type. Several brands present Lagrima ports. Generally they have an image
of Christ on the label. The word Lágrima means tear. It is said to be such
a specialty (very sweet) that they started calling it the "Tears of Christ".
I think it's always white.

Ricardo

www.portugalregional.pt

Coffee with Liquor - What is good? [email protected] General Cooking 56 06-02-2013 01:23 AM
Good sushi rolls place Does NOT necessarily = good sashimi Nanzi[_2_] Sushi 1 06-04-2011 03:32 AM
Seems as good a place as any. Adam Funk General Cooking 4 05-11-2007 10:03 PM
Good place to buy tea Aloke Prasad Tea 1 17-03-2005 03:06 AM
Good lunch at an "old" place jmcquown General Cooking 0 20-02-2004 11:53 PM