Dale Williams

Default TN: Rex Goliath Pinot Noir

Betsy's working tonight, and David and I were having leftovers (his paternal
grandmother had brought him dinner the night before- she's Japanese and cooks a
good if slightly bizarre combo of Japanese, Polish, and "american" cuisines). I
stared at the mostly filled bottle of Villa Puccini oakjuice, but couldn't
convince myself to try again- maybe it'll be used for cooking. Instead I
thought it was time to try the 2001 HRM Rex Goliath Giant 47 Pound Rooster
Central Coast Pinot Noir (hey,. maybe longest non-German wine name I've ever
typed). It got some good press here, and the price is hard to beat ($5.99 at
Varmax before 10% discount, whee hoo!). Dick, Ed, and Mark S. have all weighed
in, it's my turn.

Nice hint of damp earth at the nose, ripe ripe (ok, overripe) red fruit on the
palate. Kind of raspberry meets cherry cough syrup. Descriptors are sounding
like I like it less than I actually do. Plenty of fruit, light vanilla-ey oak.
Finish is quite short, but what do you want for $5.40?

Good points:
Tastes like pinot (albeit overripe Pinot)
Earth
Clear fruit
$5.40

Bad Points:
Too soft, better acidity would definitely help here
Short finish

Verdict: B, which at this price point means I'll probably buy more. Good wine
to have around in the "cheap enough to cook with, good enough to put out on
table at big party" category.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party
where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Ed Rasimus

On 02 Apr 2004 02:16:37 GMT, amnspam (Dale Williams)
wrote:

>Betsy's working tonight, and David and I were having leftovers (his paternal
>grandmother had brought him dinner the night before- she's Japanese and cooks a
>good if slightly bizarre combo of Japanese, Polish, and "american" cuisines). I
>stared at the mostly filled bottle of Villa Puccini oakjuice, but couldn't
>convince myself to try again- maybe it'll be used for cooking. Instead I
>thought it was time to try the 2001 HRM Rex Goliath Giant 47 Pound Rooster
>Central Coast Pinot Noir (hey,. maybe longest non-German wine name I've ever
>typed). It got some good press here, and the price is hard to beat ($5.99 at
>Varmax before 10% discount, whee hoo!). Dick, Ed, and Mark S. have all weighed
>in, it's my turn.
>
>Nice hint of damp earth at the nose, ripe ripe (ok, overripe) red fruit on the
>palate. Kind of raspberry meets cherry cough syrup. Descriptors are sounding
>like I like it less than I actually do. Plenty of fruit, light vanilla-ey oak.
>Finish is quite short, but what do you want for $5.40?
>
>Good points:
>Tastes like pinot (albeit overripe Pinot)
>Earth
>Clear fruit
>$5.40
>
>Bad Points:
>Too soft, better acidity would definitely help here
>Short finish
>
>Verdict: B, which at this price point means I'll probably buy more. Good wine
>to have around in the "cheap enough to cook with, good enough to put out on
>table at big party" category.

And, if you liked that, be sure to try the Merlot (which I've come to
like more than the PN as I've worked through my second case), and the
Cabernet Sauvigon (which starts a bit harsh but with an hour of airing
becomes quite respectable), and the Chardonnay (which has all the
blatant in-your-face punch of an Aussie Chard.)

All have come across to me as incredible value at the price point and
perfect for that "open another bottle" or "time for a taste with a
good book before the fireplace" moment.

Of course, I've only had a little more than six cases worth of
experience with the wine so far, and it may not hold up to long term
cellaring.....but so what?

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Dale Williams

In article >, Ed Rasimus
> writes:

>And, if you liked that, be sure to try the Merlot (which I've come to
>like more than the PN as I've worked through my second case), and the
>Cabernet Sauvigon (which starts a bit harsh but with an hour of airing
>becomes quite respectable), and the Chardonnay (which has all the
>blatant in-your-face punch of an Aussie Chard.)
>
>All have come across to me as incredible value at the price point

Will keep an eye out, though I think my store only had the PN. Thanks.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Larry

want for $5.40?

>Good points:
>Tastes like pinot (albeit overripe Pinot)
>Earth
>Clear fruit
>$5.40
>
>Bad Points:
>Too soft, better acidity would definitely help here
>Short finish
>
>Verdict: B, which at this price point means I'll probably buy more. Good wine
>to have around in the "cheap enough to cook with, good enough to put out on
>table at big party" category.

I was in Orlando, FL during March break and couldn't find it at an ABC
store. Was I looking in the wrong place?

Larry
Southern Ontario

pavane

"Larry" > wrote in message
> I was in Orlando, Fl during March Break and couldn't find this
> 'treasure" I went to an ABC store. Was I looking in the wrong
> places?
>
> Larry
> Southern Ontario

Yes, you should have looked in a Publix supermarket.

pavane

Dick R

Default TN: Rex Goliath Pinot Noir & CS - hi Ed

Hi Ed,
I had tried the 47 pound CS and had a neutral opinion.
I think I'll revisit, and pour the wine before I grill
the steaks, ground beast, or whatever. Thanks for the tip.
Dick

<snip>

Rex Goliath Pinot 2002 Mike P Wine 4 10-01-2005 10:22 PM
Rex Goliath 47lb er Pinot- Finally! Larry Wine 5 15-07-2004 01:39 AM
Pinot Noir ernie Winemaking 4 10-04-2004 10:08 PM
Rex Goliath 47 Pound Rooster Pinot Noir Dick R Wine 18 02-12-2003 05:20 AM
Rex Goliath Pinot Noir Ed Rasimus Wine 9 16-11-2003 12:25 AM