cherie

Default 2000 Louis Bernard Chateauneuf du-Pape

Full, earthy, and oh-so-smooth. Very nice. I give it an A-. I won't
tell you what I ate with it for dinner, because I would probably get
scolded. Any suggestions for the perfect accompaniment, or other
opinions on this wine?

-Cherie
Dale Williams

>Any suggestions for the perfect accompaniment

My personal favorite match for CdP is lamb roasted with lots of garlic & herbs.

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Bill Spohn

>My personal favorite match for CdP is lamb roasted with lots of garlic &
>herbs.

Yes - I've heard it isn't baaaad.
Max Hauser

Default Chteauneuf quotation ( 2000 Louis Bernard)

"cherie" in om...
> Any suggestions for the perfect accompaniment, or other
> opinions on this wine?

Below are not my words but another's, fairly timeless, and very good in my
opinion.

--------
The Prince of Eurasia, intoxicated by all these natural scents, not one of
which was masked by a criminal sauce, but whose seasonings, on the contrary,
were designed to emphasize their natural essential graces, the Prince of
Eurasia, I repeat, began to understand. His wit was, moreover, urged on to
these discoveries by a marvellous Chteauneuf-du-Pape which blew into the
soul like a good ocean wind into a sail, all the sunshine it had stolen, all
the fervour of that baked earth of the Rhone Valley, its spiritual
mother-country, and which, in waves of enlaced tannin and raspberry, brought
to the brain a marvellous lucidity.

-- Marcel Rouff, _The Passionate Epicure; La Vie et la Passion de
Dodin-Bouffant, Gourmet,_ Delamain, Poutelleau et Cie., 1925. English
translation by Claude [sic], E. P. Dutton, 1962. US LCC number 62-7803.

Jenny saves labels, I save quotations.

(Those words appeared in a highly educational context. Marcella Hazan cited
the instructive story in her _Bollito Misto_ recipe, vol. 1 of her
English-language Italian cookbooks, ISBN 0394405102, pp. 322-324.) The 1962
translation of Rouff influenced many anglophones who were adults then and
wrote about food, it appears in their writing. This book is cherished as a
modern classic by food fanatics and has been steadily available used since
1962. Someday soon, if not already, a paperback reprint edition will surely
appear, and many younger people will then know this book. Today, sadly,
good food writing commands attention according not to its esteem, or impact,
but its display in chain bookstores. Anyway, better in my opinion for a new
population of readers to enjoy Rouff, than to prevent, as Housman did, some
of them claiming "to have known it all along.")

cherie

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message >...
> "cherie" in om...
> > Any suggestions for the perfect accompaniment, or other
> > opinions on this wine?

> Below are not my words but another's, fairly timeless, and very good in my
> opinion.
>
> --------
> The Prince of Eurasia, intoxicated by all these natural scents, not one of
> which was masked by a criminal sauce, but whose seasonings, on the contrary,
> were designed to emphasize their natural essential graces, the Prince of
> Eurasia, I repeat, began to understand. His wit was, moreover, urged on to
> these discoveries by a marvellous Chteauneuf-du-Pape which blew into the
> soul like a good ocean wind into a sail, all the sunshine it had stolen, all
> the fervour of that baked earth of the Rhone Valley, its spiritual
> mother-country, and which, in waves of enlaced tannin and raspberry, brought
> to the brain a marvellous lucidity.
>
> -- Marcel Rouff, _The Passionate Epicure; La Vie et la Passion de
> Dodin-Bouffant, Gourmet,_ Delamain, Poutelleau et Cie., 1925. English
> translation by Claude [sic], E. P. Dutton, 1962. US LCC number 62-7803.

That is really, really wonderful.
Thanks,
Cherie
Max Hauser

"cherie" in om...

> That is really, really wonderful.

What struck me about that language in Rouff is that it's basically right, or
"slam dunk." This is not flowery advertising copy, this is a writer and
translator with the skill to render this tiny and beautiful part of life
into words. (It also appears inside a classic and simple parable. The
"Prince of Eurasia" hears of this retiree Dodin-Bouffant and his great
palate, tries to impress Dodin with an ostentatious meal. In return, Dodin
invites the Prince to a simple dinner of humble courses that teach the
Prince a lesson. Add some tacky elements, vengeful in-laws, and someone
will surely pen an opera around it ... Sorry. :-) Rouff has further
situations in the book with comparable language.

The sort of Rhône-wine experience described there is the kind of experience,
with variations, that many wine enthusiasts encounter and that keeps them
coming back for more. I participate in co-operative tasting groups where we
take turns hosting and sharing costs to taste wines, often new releases. I
have had the experience of coming to these, tired from a long day of
impossible problems and difficult people, and started sniffing a group of
glasses with some moderate-priced but good red Burgundies or whatever, and
by God I am transported to different climes. It brings out the Rouff in
people. I would have thought this silly if I read it before such
experience. Not all wines are so interesting or sensual but enough of them
are to keep us coming back for more!

--Max

(By the way cherie if you are using Google to see current postings, as
distinct from using its excellent archives, just in case you are unaware of
this, Google's display of recent postings can lag by several hours, as its
instructions explain. Other conduits to these same newsgroups, unrelated to
Google, will show you a more current picture. This may come up if you get
involved in any rapid exchanges. Sorry for this probably unnecessary and,
to the group, familiar aside.)

cherie

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message >...

> (By the way cherie if you are using Google to see current postings, as
> distinct from using its excellent archives, just in case you are unaware of
> this, Google's display of recent postings can lag by several hours, as its
> instructions explain. Other conduits to these same newsgroups, unrelated to
> Google, will show you a more current picture. This may come up if you get
> involved in any rapid exchanges. Sorry for this probably unnecessary and,
> to the group, familiar aside.)

Max, I have used the archives a few times to see if postings exist on
this or that, but I have mostly just using Google's display of recent
postings. I know they lag several hours, but I do not know of another
way. Help?

-Cherie
Max Hauser

Default How to read newsgroups ( Chteauneuf quotation)

"cherie" in om...
> "Max Hauser" in >...
> >

> > (By the way cherie if you are using Google to see current postings, as
> > distinct from using its excellent archives, just in case you are unaware

of
> > this, Google's display of recent postings can lag by several hours, as

its
> > instructions explain. Other conduits to these same newsgroups,

unrelated to
> > Google, will show you a more current picture. ...

> Max, I have used the archives a few times to see if postings exist on
> this or that, but I have mostly just using Google's display of recent
> postings. I know they lag several hours, but I do not know of another
> way. Help?

I am no expert on this subject and this may be my last comment on it because
it is perennial, and specialized newsgroups like this one are also poor
places for generic questions about newsgroups. It seems though that most
tools for browsing or reading mail have a "read news" tool; you need only go
through a self-service set-up process similar to what you do with a mail
account. Internet Explorer (tm), say what you all will about it, has a
decent little news reader (under "Tools"), that's one of the ones I use.
(Such readers, by the way, long predate the "WWW" interfaces to the
Internet. It is the "Web pages" that are relatively new.) You will need
access to a "news server," perhaps via your ISP or email provider. MUCH
MUCH more information and help and advice will be available from whatever
local resources you use for other computer set-up and failing that, you can
probably find out most of what you would need by patient perusal of
newsgroups and their archives online. (Separating the customary newsgroup
dross and armchair expertise will be a valuable further introduction to
newsgroups.) WWW searches for "Internet History" may give you some useful
background but as with other factual subjects they also return
authoritative-looking misinformation and nonsense often merely copied from
other uninformed sources, with extra distortions added for finesse. And if
by any chance you haven't already, please get to know the very useful
RFC1855 guideline (you can search for it by any search engine), maybe the
original introductory document for text communication by Internet (updated
much later, 1995), though if I am mistaken on that point, I will likely be
corrected (and possibly even if not). Best wishes -- Max

cherie

"Max Hauser" > wrote in message >...
> "cherie" in om...
> > "Max Hauser" in >...
> > >

> > > (By the way cherie if you are using Google to see current postings, as
> > > distinct from using its excellent archives, just in case you are unaware

> of
> > > this, Google's display of recent postings can lag by several hours, as

> its
> > > instructions explain. Other conduits to these same newsgroups,

> unrelated to
> > > Google, will show you a more current picture. ...

> > Max, I have used the archives a few times to see if postings exist on
> > this or that, but I have mostly just using Google's display of recent
> > postings. I know they lag several hours, but I do not know of another
> > way. Help?

> I am no expert on this subject and this may be my last comment on it because
> it is perennial, and specialized newsgroups like this one are also poor
> places for generic questions about newsgroups. It seems though that most
> tools for browsing or reading mail have a "read news" tool; you need only go
> through a self-service set-up process similar to what you do with a mail
> account. Internet Explorer (tm), say what you all will about it, has a
> decent little news reader (under "Tools"), that's one of the ones I use.
> (Such readers, by the way, long predate the "WWW" interfaces to the
> Internet. It is the "Web pages" that are relatively new.) You will need
> access to a "news server," perhaps via your ISP or email provider. MUCH
> MUCH more information and help and advice will be available from whatever
> local resources you use for other computer set-up and failing that, you can
> probably find out most of what you would need by patient perusal of
> newsgroups and their archives online. (Separating the customary newsgroup
> dross and armchair expertise will be a valuable further introduction to
> newsgroups.) WWW searches for "Internet History" may give you some useful
> background but as with other factual subjects they also return
> authoritative-looking misinformation and nonsense often merely copied from
> other uninformed sources, with extra distortions added for finesse. And if
> by any chance you haven't already, please get to know the very useful
> RFC1855 guideline (you can search for it by any search engine), maybe the
> original introductory document for text communication by Internet (updated
> much later, 1995), though if I am mistaken on that point, I will likely be
> corrected (and possibly even if not). Best wishes -- Max

Thanks Max, I appreciate the help--and I will leave it at that--since
I do realize that this is not the proper forum.
Thanks again,
-Cherie
cherie

Emery Davis > wrote in message >...
]

> Cherie, you just need a news server, and to set up your email program.
> Go to news.individual.net, and follow instructions. I've used this service
> since M. Pronay suggested it and find it excellent. It drops very few articles,
> is quick, and spam is pretty much absent.
>
> HTH.
>
> -E

Ok, I will try it! Thanks!
-Cherie

VRAC vs. Kirkland's Chateauneuf du Pape Dee Dee Wine 7 07-09-2007 03:37 PM
Chateauneuf-du-Pape at Costco Dee Dee Wine 2 25-06-2007 01:19 PM
2004 Chateauneuf du Pape Bill S. Wine 4 09-04-2007 02:25 PM
Chateauneuf du Pape 1998 MaxMustermann Wine 14 11-01-2006 05:07 PM
making chateauneuf du pape LG1111 Winemaking 3 27-07-2004 04:41 PM