Posted to alt.food.wine
MaxMustermann

Default Chateauneuf du Pape 1998

Hi all,

What do you guys about the above?

Thanks,
Max

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"MaxMustermann" > wrote:

> What do you guys about the above?

What this sentence?

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:21:03 +0100
Michael Pronay > wrote:

] "MaxMustermann" > wrote:
]
] > What do you guys about the above?
]
] What this sentence?
]

<g> He's outdone you Michael. You missed only one word (is)
whereas he's swallowed two: 'do' and 'think' I assume.

As an anglophone living in France I stand as always in awe of
your (meant widely) excellent command of written English.

Max. '98 is widely regarded as an excellent vintage in CdP.
The year was hot but clement enough for a large production.
The young wines sometimes reminded me of '90 when they
were young, with perhaps even more forward fruit. To my
tastes '90 was better but perhaps marginally so, neither
year holding so much promise as the marvelous '89.

Even in a good year quality of course varies by producer. If
you have some specific domains in mind I'm sure we'll be glad
to offer advice (if we have any.)

Many of the more imposing '98 CdPs will be in deep delta wave
sleep around now, in my view needing around 5 years to wake
up speaking in generalities. Of course this is not uniformly
true, and only tasting will tell the tale. We drank a pleasant
Roger Perrin from the vintage recently, several hours of
air was enough to get it to roll over and sit up.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

Emery Davis > wrote:

> ] "MaxMustermann" > wrote:
> ]
> ] > What do you guys about the above?
> ]
> ] What this sentence?

> <g> He's outdone you Michael. You missed only one word (is)
> whereas he's swallowed two: 'do' and 'think' I assume.

If my count is right, he only swallowed one: "think". The "do" is
there.

> As an anglophone living in France I stand as always in awe of
> your (meant widely) excellent command of written English.

Thank you very much!

> Max. '98 is widely regarded as an excellent vintage in CdP.
>
> [further explanations to the vintage snipped]

And again that's the evidence that my command of the English
language is nowhere where I would like to have it. I saw the
posting as a question to the quality of a specific wine - which
is impossible to answer given that Max stated no producer.

Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank and
customer card ads in Austria.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Vilco

Mi e' parso che Michael Pronay abbia scritto:

> Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank
> and customer card ads in Austria.

LOL, in Italy we have "Mario Rossi", and an uncle of mine has
that exact name and surname
--
Vilco
Think Pink , Drink Rose'

Posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"Vilco" > wrote:

>> Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank
>> and customer card ads in Austria.

> LOL, in Italy we have "Mario Rossi", and an uncle of mine has
> that exact name and surname

JFTMOR, our new electronic medicare card (where Max Mustermann even
holds a doctor's degree):

<http://www.chipkarte.at/mediaDB/79826.JPG>

Btw, "Max Mustermann" is also used in Germany.

Am I right that it's "John Doe" in the US? How about UK?

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 14:48:51 +0100
Michael Pronay > wrote:

] Emery Davis > wrote:
]
] > ] "MaxMustermann" > wrote:
] > ]
] > ] > What do you guys about the above?
] > ]
] > ] What this sentence?
]
] > <g> He's outdone you Michael. You missed only one word (is)
] > whereas he's swallowed two: 'do' and 'think' I assume.
]
] If my count is right, he only swallowed one: "think". The "do" is
] there.

Right you are!

]
] > As an anglophone living in France I stand as always in awe of
] > your (meant widely) excellent command of written English.
]
] Thank you very much!
]
] > Max. '98 is widely regarded as an excellent vintage in CdP.
] >
] > [further explanations to the vintage snipped]
]
] And again that's the evidence that my command of the English
] language is nowhere where I would like to have it. I saw the
] posting as a question to the quality of a specific wine - which
] is impossible to answer given that Max stated no producer.
]

Maybe, but you write practically flawlessly. I only wish my
written French was as good. Speaking I do well enough with,
at least!

] Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank and
] customer card ads in Austria.
]

Ah ha. There's a Max Mustermann posting on rec.gardens also.
I had assumed it was the same, but maybe not.

Yes in american it is John Doe. The Brits version I can't quite
think of just now. John Blood? Doesn't quite ring true.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine
Jose

> Am I right that it's "John Doe" in the US? How about UK?

Dunno about the UK, but in the Dominican Republic is's Fulano de Tal.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> ] Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank and
> ] customer card ads in Austria.
> ]
>
> Ah ha. There's a Max Mustermann posting on rec.gardens also.
> I had assumed it was the same, but maybe not.
>
> Yes in american it is John Doe. The Brits version I can't quite
> think of just now. John Blood? Doesn't quite ring true.

How about John Bull?

Actually, in America John Doe isn't much used in credit card ads anymore.
It has become very common to "rent" the names of celebrities instead - and
not just movie stars. I've seen sports figures, politicians, astronauts,
writers etc.

Just a question to drag this back on topic a bit:
What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one of
my favorite red wines.

BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Emery Davis

Hi Tom,

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:46:52 GMT
"Tom S" > wrote:

] "Emery Davis" > wrote in message
] ...
[]
] > Yes in american it is John Doe. The Brits version I can't quite
] > think of just now. John Blood? Doesn't quite ring true.
]
] How about John Bull?
]

That sounds good to me!

] Actually, in America John Doe isn't much used in credit card ads anymore.
] It has become very common to "rent" the names of celebrities instead - and
] not just movie stars. I've seen sports figures, politicians, astronauts,
] writers etc.
]
] Just a question to drag this back on topic a bit:
] What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
] Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one of
] my favorite red wines.
]

I think there will be some excellent '03s. As usual with this bizarre
summer an expert hand is required. I haven't gone tasting yet
so I can't comment in particular, but I'm betting the V.T. will be
a classic big boned CdP young. Whether there is sufficient
acidity for the long term, maybe you can try a bottle and let
us know!

] BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.
]

La Crau is a commune in the Var, which presumably doesn't
apply. However it is also used to describe the (formerly) desert
region formed by the river Durance delta as it joins the Rhone.
That at least puts you in the right area, so I'm guessing the
vineyard is located in this rocky flatland. (Larousse is great
for this kind of minutia!)

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ian Hoare

On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 16:26:26 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>"Vilco" > wrote:
>
>>> Btw, "Max Mustermann" ist the dummy name for credit, bank
>>> and customer card ads in Austria.

>> LOL, in Italy we have "Mario Rossi", and an uncle of mine has
>> that exact name and surname

>JFTMOR, our new electronic medicare card (where Max Mustermann even
>holds a doctor's degree):
>
><http://www.chipkarte.at/mediaDB/79826.JPG>
>
>Btw, "Max Mustermann" is also used in Germany.
>
>Am I right that it's "John Doe" in the US? How about UK?

John Smith

In France, M. Dupont.

--
All the best
Ian Hoare
Posted to alt.food.wine
Joe \Beppe\Rosenberg

I use ta call on all dose guys....now dey zoloft in every ting. I hoid
zoloft goes good with Pord but arou here de only "Pord" youse can buy iz
Gallos. I've been invited to one dese Expo things--dey wan to do a riff on
what da French kings and odders ate with Antoinets cake, Whoops got to
goooooo.

J. Murray Fefferman
World oldest cork-dork

as channeled thru
"Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> Hi Tom,
>
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:46:52 GMT
> "Tom S" > wrote:
>
> ] "Emery Davis" > wrote in message
> ] ...
> []
> ] > Yes in american it is John Doe. The Brits version I can't quite
> ] > think of just now. John Blood? Doesn't quite ring true.
> ]
> ] How about John Bull?
> ]
>
> That sounds good to me!
>
> ] Actually, in America John Doe isn't much used in credit card ads

anymore.
> ] It has become very common to "rent" the names of celebrities instead -

and
> ] not just movie stars. I've seen sports figures, politicians,

astronauts,
> ] writers etc.
> ]
> ] Just a question to drag this back on topic a bit:
> ] What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
> ] Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one

of
> ] my favorite red wines.
> ]
>
> I think there will be some excellent '03s. As usual with this bizarre
> summer an expert hand is required. I haven't gone tasting yet
> so I can't comment in particular, but I'm betting the V.T. will be
> a classic big boned CdP young. Whether there is sufficient
> acidity for the long term, maybe you can try a bottle and let
> us know!
>
> ] BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.
> ]
>
> La Crau is a commune in the Var, which presumably doesn't
> apply. However it is also used to describe the (formerly) desert
> region formed by the river Durance delta as it joins the Rhone.
> That at least puts you in the right area, so I'm guessing the
> vineyard is located in this rocky flatland. (Larousse is great
> for this kind of minutia!)
>
> -E
>

> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to ecom
> by removing the well known companies

Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

>What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
>Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one of
>my favorite red wines.

That's a good price, alright. I think it's less that what I paid
Premier Cru at their pre-arrival price. I saw it on the shelf at Whole
Foods in Seattle a couple days ago for $43, which is still below the
$46-$55 I saw for the 2000 and 2001. (What did rather shock me was
seeing Vieux Donjon on the Whole Foods shelf at $54. The 1998 sold at
$25.)

So was this the Richmond Costco?

JJ
Posted to alt.food.wine
Tom S

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:46:52 GMT, "Tom S" >
> wrote:
>
>>What sort of vintage is 2003 for CdP? I see that Costco has Vieux
>>Telegraphe on the shelf for $37US, which looks like a good price for one
>>of
>>my favorite red wines.

> That's a good price, alright. I think it's less that what I paid
> Premier Cru at their pre-arrival price.
>
> So was this the Richmond Costco?

No. Burbank.

Tom S
www.chateauburbank.com

Posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Emery Davis wrote:

> I think there will be some excellent '03s. As usual with this bizarre
> summer an expert hand is required. I haven't gone tasting yet
> so I can't comment in particular, but I'm betting the V.T. will be
> a classic big boned CdP young. Whether there is sufficient
> acidity for the long term, maybe you can try a bottle and let
> us know!

I've generally been steering clear of the '03s, but mostly out of
prejudice: I'm wary of overripe flavors and am still saturated with the
'98-'01s ;-)

> ] BTW, what does "La Crau" translate to in English? TIA.
> ]
>
> La Crau is a commune in the Var, which presumably doesn't
> apply. However it is also used to describe the (formerly) desert
> region formed by the river Durance delta as it joins the Rhone.
> That at least puts you in the right area, so I'm guessing the
> vineyard is located in this rocky flatland. (Larousse is great
> for this kind of minutia!)

La Crau is the name of the plateau that runs between Chateauneuf and
Bedarrides. It's home to some of the largest galets in the region and
is generally considered to be the prime terroir of the region. But you
knew all that, didn't you?

Mark Lipton
(Just returned from India, Singapore and SF)

Chateauneuf du Pape Domain des Trois Plantiers 1998 info? Scott Gordo Wine 5 18-10-2007 01:21 PM
Chateauneuf-du-Pape at Costco Dee Dee Wine 2 25-06-2007 01:19 PM
2004 Chateauneuf du Pape Bill S. Wine 4 09-04-2007 02:25 PM
E. Guigal Chateauneuf-du-Pape 2001 Ben Snyder Wine 4 25-08-2006 01:54 PM
making chateauneuf du pape LG1111 Winemaking 3 27-07-2004 04:41 PM