Default Types of Barolo?

Read the following
http://www.tastings.com/insiders_clu...%3A%20Bar olo

and it looks like there are different types of Barolo (maybe different
areas in Piedmont)? A quick web search turns up nothing. What, if any,
information can be extracted from words such as:

Normale
Aborina
Brunate
Ginestra
Rocche

and others?

TIA,
Bob
Joe Beppe Rosenberg

These are names of specific vineyards except for Normale which means normal
or not Riserva. The authorized Barolo communes are Barolo, Serralunga d'
Alba, Castiglione Falletto, La Morra and Monforte d' Alba.

--
Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
> wrote in message ...
> Read the following

http://www.tastings.com/insiders_clu...%3A%20Bar olo

> and it looks like there are different types of Barolo (maybe different
> areas in Piedmont)? A quick web search turns up nothing. What, if any,
> information can be extracted from words such as:
>
> Normale
> Aborina
> Brunate
> Ginestra
> Rocche
>
> and others?
>
> TIA,
> Bob

I appreciate the info. Does the specific vineyard have any meaning (like
"Growths" to Bordeaux, or altitiude/direction of sun that will have a
direct bearing on the quality of the wine produced there)? Or is a
producer and year good enough (for a newbie)?

I think http://www.westcoastwine.net/barolo&barbaresco1.html addresses
this some, but still interested in the groups thoughts.

Thanks again,
Bob

Joe Beppe Rosenberg > wrote:
: These are names of specific vineyards except for Normale which means normal
: or not Riserva. The authorized Barolo communes are Barolo, Serralunga d'
: Alba, Castiglione Falletto, La Morra and Monforte d' Alba.

: --
: Joe "Beppe" Rosenberg
: > wrote in message ...
:> Read the following
:>
: http://www.tastings.com/insiders_clu...%3A%20Bar olo
:>
:> and it looks like there are different types of Barolo (maybe different
:> areas in Piedmont)? A quick web search turns up nothing. What, if any,
:> information can be extracted from words such as:
:>
:> Normale
:> Aborina
:> Brunate
:> Ginestra
:> Rocche
:>
:> and others?
:>
:> TIA,
:> Bob

Michael Pronay

"Joe Beppe Rosenberg" > wrote:

> These are names of specific vineyards except for Normale which
> means normal or not Riserva.

"Annata" would be the right term for that.

M.
PM

"Normale" frequently appears on producers' and importers' lists to
indicate the producer's basic offering (not on the label, which
usually just says "Barolo") without a vinyard designation. As such it
would usually (normally?) not be a riserva. But for the most part,
the single-vinyard bottlings are not riservas, either.

Peter Masters

Michael Pronay > wrote in message >...
> "Joe Beppe Rosenberg" > wrote:
>
> > These are names of specific vineyards except for Normale which
> > means normal or not Riserva.

> "Annata" would be the right term for that.
>
> M.

gerald

The method of making Barolo has changed radically over the past 100 or
so years. Between the 1930's and the 60's, the wine sat on the skins
for a long period of time, and were then kept in a sealed barrell for
a very long time. In the 70's and 80's the new kids began using
techniques typical of French fine wine producing. This produced a
radically different wine.

I do not think any labeling on the bottle indicates who did what when.

On 6 Nov 2003 08:45:55 -0500, > wrote:

>Read the following
>http://www.tastings.com/insiders_clu...%3A%20Bar olo
>
>and it looks like there are different types of Barolo (maybe different
>areas in Piedmont)? A quick web search turns up nothing. What, if any,
>information can be extracted from words such as:
>
>Normale
>Aborina
>Brunate
>Ginestra
>Rocche
>
>and others?
>
>TIA,
>Bob

Michael Pronay

> wrote:

> What, if any, information can be extracted from words
> such as:
>
> Normale

Regular (basic) bottling.

> Aborina
> Brunate
> Ginestra
> Rocche

Individual vineyard sites the producer bottles either in all or only
in good years.

> and others?

Which?

M.