Old 07-10-2003, 07:29 PM
D. Gerasimatos

Default 1986 Bordeaux

In article ,
Ian Hoare wrote:
Salut/Hi John T,

le/on Thu, 6 Nov 2003 09:30:00 -0800, tu disais/you said:-

1990 Dom Perignon

As it happens I've got a mag of this (cadeau from my brother) from your
comment, I'd guess it should be left a while yet. Agree?

I agree. Leave it 5+ years.

That's odd.
We had the 90 Dom at a dinner two years back and felt it was opening up and
was stunning, packed with bisquit and length.

I had a bottle too for New Year's Eve celebrations 1999/2000. I'm not
experienced enough with this wine to know if it had more to show, I liked
it very much, btw. However, this IS a mag, and a mag does have the
reputation of taking longer to come round.

I had a bottle of the 1990 Dom in August 2002. It was one of the best
wines of the 1990 vintage that I've had so far. That includes Veuve
Clicquot La Grande Dame, Pol Roger Winston Churchill, Bollinger Grand
Annee,

I tend to like a fuller, more yeasty style of champagne, but this Dom was
fantastic. I liked it much better than the 1988, which I almost had to
choke down in comparison. It was fruity, yet complex, with a long and
glorious finish. It had a certain quality that filled the mouth. It wasn't
as acidic as others, so I'd say it was more balanced. My experience with
Dom is limited to the 88, 90, and 93. I wouldn't even buy the other two,
but the 90 is worth twice its price. I've seen it for under $100.

Dimitri

Old 07-10-2003, 08:27 PM
Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi D. Gerasimatos,

I was reading, and re-reading your article, trying to work out what was
wrong....

le/on Tue, 7 Oct 2003 18:29:34 +0000 (UTC), tu disais/you said:-

John said

1990 Dom Perignon

I commented...

As it happens I've got a mag of this (cadeau from my brother) from your
comment, I'd guess it should be left a while yet. Agree?

Bill said

I agree. Leave it 5+ years.

I said again
I had a bottle too for New Year's Eve celebrations 1999/2000.

And then you said....
I had a bottle of the 1990 Dom in August 2002. It was one of the best
wines of the 1990 vintage that I've had so far. That includes Veuve
Clicquot La Grande Dame, Pol Roger Winston Churchill, Bollinger Grand
Annee,

And I looked at this list, and wondered????????????

Then I realised that I've been quietly raving. It's not the Dom that I had,
neither in bottle nor in mag. It was the Bollinger Grande Année. Duh. Sigh,
put it down to old age, or to the fact that I'm trying to replace all our
1st floor windows and keep hitting my hand with a club hammr, when I try to
shift the last masonry pin!

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare

Sometimes oi just sits and thinks
Sometimes oi just sits.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:38 PM
D. Gerasimatos

In article ,
Ian Hoare wrote:

[snip!]

Then I realised that I've been quietly raving. It's not the Dom that I had,
neither in bottle nor in mag. It was the Bollinger Grande Année. Duh. Sigh,
put it down to old age, or to the fact that I'm trying to replace all our
1st floor windows and keep hitting my hand with a club hammr, when I try to
shift the last masonry pin!

The Bollinger Grand Annee is probably my second favorite, but I did like
the Dom better. I would usually opt for Bollinger, but the 1990 Dom is
Dom at its finest. I have not had the 1985. Dom usually seems to be
overrated, but the 1990 is an exceptional effort.

Dimitri

TN: 1986 Bordeaux (plus Champagne and 2 white Burgs) DaleW Wine 0 29-01-2016 09:23 PM
75 Bordeaux, Old Napa Cabs and a Great 82 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 6 27-05-2010 08:30 PM
1986 Bordeaux [email protected] Wine 2 28-01-2009 02:13 PM
1986 Bordeaux Bill S. Wine 0 11-04-2006 03:29 PM
TN: 1986 Bordeaux at the Orchard, NYC DaleW Wine 3 22-03-2006 07:14 AM