Default 1986 Bordeaux

Bill Spohn > wrote:
: My notes from a dinner tasting of 1986 Bordeaux. A vintage that some say will

Hello Bill --

nice tasting
(and notes)

: Vieux Chateau Certan - darker, with an excellent nose of currant with a touch
: of nutmeg, smooth entry, the wine firm in the middle but not hard, with good
: length. My best of flight choice.

I tried this about 4-5 years ago and maybe it was still not showing much.
Mine was closed without aromatics and didn't seem to show too much class.

: Pichon Lalande - I don't recall ever tasting a wine from this house and a
: decent vintage that I didn't like - a lot (well OK, the 1990 was an exception,
: but I'll allow one error every century). Marvellous depth and complexity in the
: nose, with perfumed oak, ripe fruit and spice. Excellent balance and
: concentration, and it drinks beautifully now, but really needs time to hit its
: real potential. Of the wines in this flight, I judged it to be the best in
: terms of current enjoyment.

I'd have to disagree with you on the drinkability of this: VERY tight and
tough and tannic at the moment (had earlier this summer), this unyeilding
wine shows enormous potential, but I'm not going to open another bottle of
this for another 8-10 years (seriously!). Lots of stuff going on
underneath the denseness, but I'm letting this sleep for awhile longer.

Mark S