Bill Spohn

Default 1986 Bordeaux

>>1990 Dom Perignon
>
>As it happens I've got a mag of this (cadeau from my brother) from your
>comment, I'd guess it should be left a while yet. Agree?

I agree. Leave it 5+ years.

>Interesting. Actually the problem with an unsweetened sorbet is to end up
>with a decent texture. How d'ya achieve it?

Periodic mixing as it is freezing results in a granite that is made up of quite
small crystalls of flavoured ice - not as smooth as a sorbet in which you have
mixed sugar, but then it serves the purpose of cleansing the palate much better
and any shortcoming in texture is easily forgiven.

>>Talbot - I love this house - rough and ready,

>I always have slight reservations over Cordier.

Ahh - a house that produces some excellent ageworthy wines - Talbot, Meyney,
Grand Puy Ducasse, a good selection of Sauternes.

Good trivia question - when did they last use the oddball bottle that looked
like Haut Brion? I think it was early 70s.

>>The last flight was served with a wild mushroom and cheese tart which in my
>>opinion admirably served the wines.

>Fascinating, any idea what cheeses were used? I find that Gruyère, Cheddar,
>Parmesan are all cheeses which go very well indeed with red Bordeaux. And
>I'd hesitate to argue with Dale over wild mushrooms.

It was Chevre and mixed mushrooms including chanterelles. Delicate flavours
that didn't affect the wines.

>Actually I'd hesitate a long time before serving Sauternes with apple tart.

I wouldn't do it. IMNSHO, Sauternes do not improve by being drunk with food,
though many tolerate it passably.