Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 02:53 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

Saturday early dinner with Betsy before she headed to city for opening
night. With osso buco, escarole, and a green salad, the 2000 Mauro
Molino "Vigna Gancia" Barolo. Modern styled with some apparent oak,
but not as heavily extracted as some de Grazia wines. Red berries,
leather, a bit of vanilla. Medium bodied, moderately tannic. Over the
evening it held pretty steady, but a glass next night was pruney and
surprisingly seemed more tannic. On night 1, B.

Sunday she played a matinee while I planned dinner. With a salt cod
stew over polenta, with sides of carrots and cauliflower with
pimenton, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" Meursault 1er, Big, very
sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
but not my style. B-/C+
\
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

On Nov 9, 9:53*am, DaleW wrote:
Saturday early dinner with Betsy before she headed to city for opening
night. With osso buco, escarole, and a *green salad, the 2000 Mauro
Molino "Vigna Gancia" Barolo. Modern styled with some apparent oak,
but not as heavily extracted as some de Grazia wines. Red berries,
leather, a bit of vanilla. Medium bodied, moderately tannic. Over the
evening it held pretty steady, but a glass next night was pruney and
surprisingly seemed more tannic. On night 1, B.

Sunday she played a matinee while I planned dinner. *With a salt cod
stew over polenta, with sides of carrots and cauliflower with
pimenton, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" *Meursault 1er, Big, very
sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
but not my style. B-/C+
\
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**


I had a note on the Meursault that said this is 30% new oak, but
tastes like more to me
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2009, 04:43 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 131
Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

Hi Dale,
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:53:54 -0800 (PST), DaleW
wrote:

, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" Meursault 1er, Big, very
sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
but not my style. B-/C+


But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.

Sorry my friend, but really! Even a Meursault village wine from 2006
isn't going to be ready yet (in my oenogerontophile opinion).
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2009, 05:19 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,849
Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

IanH wrote:


But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.


Granted, Ian, but Dale (like many of us) is fairly gun-shy right now
about premature oxidation concerns w.r.t. White Burgundy. I have given
up cellaring any Chablis because of some very unhappy signs of PremOx in
'02 and '04 PC Chablis. For background, you can see:

http://oxidised-burgs.wikispaces.com

There's no data there about Bouzereau's '95s, so I'll keep my fingers
crossed that you have an unsullied experience with it.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
--
alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 16-11-2009, 05:22 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,930
Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

On Nov 16, 11:43�am, IanH wrote:
Hi Dale,
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:53:54 -0800 (PST), DaleW
wrote:

, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" �Meursault 1er, Big, very
sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
but not my style. B-/C+


But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.

Sorry my friend, but really! Even a Meursault village wine from 2006
isn't going to be ready yet (in my oenogerontophile opinion).
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges


Hi Ian. Glad to see your posts! In fairness to Dale, I think many of
us fear the premox problem and are drinking our white burgs younger.
I just opened a 2002 O. Leflaive that was suffering from premox badly.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Max International - MaxGXL the flagship product of Max International.MaxGXL is your glutathione booster DAVID SMITH Barbecue 0 12-11-2009 10:53 AM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] General Cooking 0 26-05-2005 04:05 PM
How Dare Could America Industrial Property Office Be In Conspiracy With Jungang International Patent Office To Make An Extravagant International Crime ? [email protected] General Cooking 0 22-05-2005 05:47 PM
TN: Rhones, Barolo, GruVe, and a pre-modern Quinault DaleW Wine 10 05-05-2005 01:55 AM
TN: Rhones, Barolo, GruVe, and a pre-modern Quinault DaleW Wine 0 01-05-2005 08:03 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017