Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: modern/international Barolo and Meursault

Saturday early dinner with Betsy before she headed to city for opening
night. With osso buco, escarole, and a green salad, the 2000 Mauro
Molino "Vigna Gancia" Barolo. Modern styled with some apparent oak,
but not as heavily extracted as some de Grazia wines. Red berries,
leather, a bit of vanilla. Medium bodied, moderately tannic. Over the
evening it held pretty steady, but a glass next night was pruney and
surprisingly seemed more tannic. On night 1, B.

Sunday she played a matinee while I planned dinner. With a salt cod
stew over polenta, with sides of carrots and cauliflower with
pimenton, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" Meursault 1er, Big, very
sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
but not my style. B-/C+
\
Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
consistency.**
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 9, 9:53*am, DaleW > wrote:
> Saturday early dinner with Betsy before she headed to city for opening
> night. With osso buco, escarole, and a *green salad, the 2000 Mauro
> Molino "Vigna Gancia" Barolo. Modern styled with some apparent oak,
> but not as heavily extracted as some de Grazia wines. Red berries,
> leather, a bit of vanilla. Medium bodied, moderately tannic. Over the
> evening it held pretty steady, but a glass next night was pruney and
> surprisingly seemed more tannic. On night 1, B.
>
> Sunday she played a matinee while I planned dinner. *With a salt cod
> stew over polenta, with sides of carrots and cauliflower with
> pimenton, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" *Meursault 1er, Big, very
> sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
> Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
> this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
> been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
> dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
> fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
> but not my style. B-/C+
> \
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an
> excellent*wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I
> wouldn't*drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I
> offer no*promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of
> consistency.**

I had a note on the Meursault that said this is 30% new oak, but
tastes like more to me
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Dale,
On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:53:54 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

>, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" Meursault 1er, Big, very
>sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
>Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
>this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
>been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
>dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
>fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
>but not my style. B-/C+

But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.

Sorry my friend, but really! Even a Meursault village wine from 2006
isn't going to be ready yet (in my oenogerontophile opinion).
--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

IanH wrote:

> But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
> integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
> to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
> like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.

Granted, Ian, but Dale (like many of us) is fairly gun-shy right now
about premature oxidation concerns w.r.t. White Burgundy. I have given
up cellaring any Chablis because of some very unhappy signs of PremOx in
'02 and '04 PC Chablis. For background, you can see:

http://oxidised-burgs.wikispaces.com

There's no data there about Bouzereau's '95s, so I'll keep my fingers
crossed that you have an unsullied experience with it.

Cheers!
Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 16, 11:43�am, IanH > wrote:
> Hi Dale,
> On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 06:53:54 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
> wrote:
>
> >, the 2006 Girardin "Les Perrieres" �Meursault 1er, Big, very
> >sweet, plenty of oak. Betsy peeks at label and says "this is white
> >Burgundy? Tastes like California Chardonnay." Quite primary, maybe
> >this will show more Perrieres character in time. Probably would have
> >been better with something like lobster, needed more acidity for this
> >dish. With time some hazelnut and mineral battles through the candied
> >fruit and vanilla to give a hint. Big wine that would impress many,
> >but not my style. B-/C+

> But Dale, this is a BABY. At 3 years old, it's hardly begun to
> integrate. I've got a Michel Bouzereau Genevrieres 95 that'm beginning
> to think I ought to drink up soon. If you treat great white Burgundy
> like a Califunny chardonnay, you can expect it taste like one.
>
> Sorry my friend, but really! Even a Meursault village wine from 2006
> isn't going to be ready yet (in my oenogerontophile opinion).
> --
> All the best
> Fatty from Forges

Hi Ian. Glad to see your posts! In fairness to Dale, I think many of
us fear the premox problem and are drinking our white burgs younger.
I just opened a 2002 O. Leflaive that was suffering from premox badly.