Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Monoterpenes in pinot gris

Hello,
Does anybody know the content of monoterpenes in pinot gris juice compared
with e g that of riesling, or muscat?
Googled so I have to put my eyes in ice water to make them quit steaming ...
Cheers and TIA
Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 14, 6:53*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> Hello,
> Does anybody know the content of monoterpenes in pinot gris juice compared
> with e g that of riesling, or muscat?
> Googled so I have to put my eyes in ice water to make them quit steaming ....
> Cheers and TIA
> Nils

None of the articles I found (e.g. http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/tom...ing-petrol.htm)
mentions terpenes as being particularly associated with pinot gris.
So, my guess is that PG does not have much terpene content compared to
muscat varieties, riesling and gewurztraminer. It must be difficult to
measure terpenes quantitatively, because thet are such volatile
compounds.
Posted to alt.food.wine

AyTee wrote:

> None of the articles I found (e.g. http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/tom...ing-petrol.htm)
> mentions terpenes as being particularly associated with pinot gris.
> So, my guess is that PG does not have much terpene content compared to
> muscat varieties, riesling and gewurztraminer. It must be difficult to
> measure terpenes quantitatively, because thet are such volatile
> compounds.

Monoterpenes are molecules derived from two isoprene units, giving them
10 carbons. Well-known monoterpenes are the pinenes (alpha and beta,
Pine-Sol constituents), limonene (oil of lemon), geraniol (rose oil),
camphor, menthol, thujone (from wormwood and other herbs), etc. They
are typically aromatic liquids. They are easily analyzed using gas
chromatography (GC), but I doubt that anyone (aside from Gallo, perhaps)
has done an exhaustive analysis of wine terpenes by GC.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

I finally found some data on a German site,
http://www.lwg.bayern.de/analytik/we.../linkurl_2.pdf
which indicates that the monoterpene content is about an order of magnitude
less in PG than in Riesling.
Different sources give different baselines for Riesling, which at least in
part should be due to the provenance of the must, as it ahs been
demonstrated to what extent monoterpene content varies according to
exposure, canopy managment, and other factors.
This places PG on the same level as CabSauv and SauvBl.
The aroma profile of PG apparently depends to a larger part on volatile
thiols and other flavor compounds, but research is incomplete.

My interest is due to an upcoming lecture on "aromatic white wines" in which
Alsace PG is included.

Thank you for taking an interest.

Cheers

Nils
"Mark Lipton" > skrev i meddelandet
> AyTee wrote:
>>
>> None of the articles I found (e.g.
>> http://www.wine-pages.com/guests/tom...ing-petrol.htm)
>> mentions terpenes as being particularly associated with pinot gris.
>> So, my guess is that PG does not have much terpene content compared to
>> muscat varieties, riesling and gewurztraminer. It must be difficult to
>> measure terpenes quantitatively, because thet are such volatile
>> compounds.

> Monoterpenes are molecules derived from two isoprene units, giving them
> 10 carbons. Well-known monoterpenes are the pinenes (alpha and beta,
> Pine-Sol constituents), limonene (oil of lemon), geraniol (rose oil),
> camphor, menthol, thujone (from wormwood and other herbs), etc. They
> are typically aromatic liquids. They are easily analyzed using gas
> chromatography (GC), but I doubt that anyone (aside from Gallo, perhaps)
> has done an exhaustive analysis of wine terpenes by GC.
>
> Mark Lipton
>
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Trying to ID this Organge NSW Pinot Gris [email protected] General 0 30-11-2008 11:03 AM
TN: German Pinot Gris DaleW Wine 4 24-07-2008 03:07 PM
pinot gris kit not clearing Don S Winemaking 4 14-02-2005 05:06 PM
Pinot gris is a chimera Mike Tommasi Wine 10 23-06-2004 03:19 PM
Pinot Gris - where is it best? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 12 01-05-2004 03:45 AM