Nils Gustaf Lindgren

Default Pinot Gris - where is it best?

Hello;
Some places , more than others, appear to be the best place to grow a
certain variety of grape - e g, Syrah in Northern Rhone, Viognier, ditto,
Mourvedre in Bandol, Riesling in Germany (yes yes yes and Austria),
Sangiovese in Tuscany, and so on and so forth - always with an eye open for
other possibilities, such as growing Shiraz in the land of Oz etc.
I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot
Gris/Grigio/Grauburgunder/Ruländer? So far, I tend to prefer the Alsatian
PG´s, even though I´ve had some worthy products from NE Italy (Veneto and
Alto Adige). I once found a bottle of Rulandske (sp?) on the Prague airport,
which apparently is an off-dry PG (the wine, not the airport), what in
Germania would perhaps be called Ruländer , but, it was definitely
sub-standard compared to Alsace and NE Italy.
Have I missed something? The joys of Hungarian PG (I know they grow it
there, under the name ... grey friar, or similar), for instance?

Cheers!

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Michael Pronay

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> Have I missed something?

Austrian pinot gris, of course. If you can find Josef Lentsch's,
give him a try.

> The joys of Hungarian PG (I know they grow it there, under the
> name ... grey friar, or similar), for instance?

Szürkebarat.

M.
Mark Lipton

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

> I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot
> Gris/Grigio/Grauburgunder/Ruländer? So far, I tend to prefer the Alsatian
> PG´s, even though I´ve had some worthy products from NE Italy (Veneto and
> Alto Adige).

Nils,
To me, this is a near-impossible question because of the variability
in styles. In Alsace, you have the "blockbuster" style PGs: highly
extracted, rich, usually off-dry to sweet; in Italy, you have two
different styles: the (more common) light, crisp, bone-dry version found
throughout the North and a richer style epitomized by Livio Felluga's
PG. Then again, you have the PGs of Oregon: medium-rich, dry, often
lightly oaked (I've recently had a similar PG from NZ). I've even had
one good PG from California! ;-) How to choose among such riches?

Mark Lipton
(holding a collection of PGs in reserve for a comparitive tasting --
coming to the US any time soon?)
Robert Stevahn

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:06:10 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:

>I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot Gris

Oregon. Try the current release King Estate Reserve, or even the
regular King Estate.

I happen to live in the vicinity of California/Oregon/Washington, so
that tends to be where I find my favorite wines.

-- Robert
Larry Coon

Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:

> Have I missed something?

Oregon? Seems everybody there makes at least one Pinot Noir
and at least one Pinot Gris. It's been a few years since I
was up there, and I was concentrating on PN at the time, but
I remember buying a few bottles of Lange PG, and a couple
of assorted others.

Roy

Robert Stevahn wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:06:10 GMT, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> > wrote:
>
> >I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot Gris

> Oregon. Try the current release King Estate Reserve, or even the
> regular King Estate.
>
> I happen to live in the vicinity of California/Oregon/Washington, so
> that tends to be where I find my favorite wines.

Don't have much experience with Alsatian PG, so can't comment much on
comparisons, but have had a number of Oregon PG's. The King Estate is
decent. My favorite is the WillaKenzie Estate PG. Big, rich, chock
full of character. The St. Innocent ("Vitae Spring") is well-regarded,
though it's not quite my style. A bit more austere. Unfortunately, I
suspect they're not available in your area.

--
Regards,

- Roy

=*=*=
Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
- Mark Twain
The truth is rarely pure, and never simple. - Oscar Wilde

Ian Hayward

This one is quite delicious:

http://www.wairauriverwines.com/wines/pinotgris.htm

I'm surprised that NZ does not produce more PG, given their proven expertise with
some of the other cool-climate classics. Perhaps they do, but just don't want to
export it.
Unsurprisingly, that doyen of weird varieties Brown Brothers produces some excellent
PG in Oz.
Regards,
Ian

"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote in message
> Hello;
> Some places , more than others, appear to be the best place to grow a
> certain variety of grape - e g, Syrah in Northern Rhone, Viognier, ditto,
> Mourvedre in Bandol, Riesling in Germany (yes yes yes and Austria),
> Sangiovese in Tuscany, and so on and so forth - always with an eye open for
> other possibilities, such as growing Shiraz in the land of Oz etc.
> I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot
> Gris/Grigio/Grauburgunder/Ruländer? So far, I tend to prefer the Alsatian
> PG´s, even though I´ve had some worthy products from NE Italy (Veneto and
> Alto Adige). I once found a bottle of Rulandske (sp?) on the Prague airport,
> which apparently is an off-dry PG (the wine, not the airport), what in
> Germania would perhaps be called Ruländer , but, it was definitely
> sub-standard compared to Alsace and NE Italy.
> Have I missed something? The joys of Hungarian PG (I know they grow it
> there, under the name ... grey friar, or similar), for instance?
>
> Cheers!
>
> Nils Gustaf
> --
> Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Dale Williams

There's a ton of insipid PG grown in Italy, but the best from Friuli, Alto
Adige, and other northern areas are pretty close to the best overall.

While I enjoy dry Alsatian Pinot Gris (Trimbach's basic is always a good deal),
the best PG from Alsace to me are the dessert wines- ZH Clos Jebsal SGN, for
instance.

The St. Innocent is my favorite Oregon to date.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Mark Lipton

Ian Hayward wrote:
> This one is quite delicious:
>
> http://www.wairauriverwines.com/wines/pinotgris.htm

Although I haven't had it, I'm not at all surprised that it was good.
Their Sauvignons are among the best made in NZ.

> I'm surprised that NZ does not produce more PG, given their proven expertise with
> some of the other cool-climate classics. Perhaps they do, but just don't want to
> export it.

On the basis of my 2001 visit there, it would not appear that much PG is
made there. Perhaps that may be changing, though...

Mark Lipton
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i meddelandet
> Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
> To me, this is a near-impossible question because of the variability
> in styles. In Alsace, you have the "blockbuster" style PGs: highly
> extracted, rich, usually off-dry to sweet; in Italy, you have two
> different styles: the (more common) light, crisp, bone-dry version found
> throughout the North and a richer style epitomized by Livio Felluga's
> PG.

Never came across the latter, will look for it in my favorite shop in
Copenhagen where they have a very good assortment of Italian wines (due, in
part, to one of their sommeliers who has worked several years in Italy and
speaks better Italian than I do, which, OTOH, is not a great achievement).
I don´t know Livio Felluga - where is he based?

Toniught,. we had a Pinot Gris from our friend Dirler in Bergholtz which was
stupendous - not at all like those we buy at Francois Baur, our 'general
provider', much more acidity and even elegance.

> (holding a collection of PGs in reserve for a comparitive tasting --
> coming to the US any time soon?)

He he - my colleagues are, even as we speak, in New Yawk, there to attend
the APA conference, and, presumably, also have a good look at the Big APple.
Me however, well, apart from the yearly tour to Alpes-Maritimes, we have no
such plans - so sorry, but ´we´ll most likely visit the Salone del Gusto in
Torino, late October - admittedly, that is a long way from the USA ...
you could come over here and help us clean out the cellar ))) - we could
even offer either a vertical or a (small) horizontal of Gewurz, or same of
Bandol ...OTOH, as for Bandol, my possibilities are of course only a shadow
of those Mike T could put up ...
As for going to the US, there are two things that attract me - one being
CHristina voicing such a request, the other a standing inivitation by good
guy Dale - your PG tasting now adds a third!
Oh well, we´ll just have to see, don´t we?

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

st.helier

"Ian Hayward" wrote in message ....

> I'm surprised that NZ does not produce more PG, given their
> proven expertise with some of the other cool-climate classics.

> Perhaps they do, but just don't want to export it.

You have hit the nail on the head, Ian.

Pinot Gris is NZs 4th most widely planted white variety (after Sauvignon,
Chardonnay and Riesling), but little would be exported.

It is the "vogue" choice among the wine-drinking ABC (anything but
chardonnay) set in NZ right now.

It suffers from a diverse range of styles, making choice a bit of a
minefield.

--

st.helier

winemonger

Michael Pronay > wrote in message news:

> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
> > Have I missed something?

> Austrian pinot gris, of course. If you can find Josef Lentsch's,
> give him a try.

Just today I had a pinot gris from Tscheppe (ried possnitzberg, 2002)
which was wonderful. I would recommend it highly. They are from the
Styrian region of Austria, where many of the vintners are making great
wines with this varietal.
Vino

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 10:43:25 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Nils Gustaf Lindgren wrote:
>
>> I wonder, where would you seek the best Pinot
>> Gris/Grigio/Grauburgunder/Ruländer? So far, I tend to prefer the Alsatian
>> PG´s, even though I´ve had some worthy products from NE Italy (Veneto and
>> Alto Adige).

>Nils,
> To me, this is a near-impossible question because of the variability
>in styles. In Alsace, you have the "blockbuster" style PGs: highly
>extracted, rich, usually off-dry to sweet; in Italy, you have two
>different styles: the (more common) light, crisp, bone-dry version found
>throughout the North and a richer style epitomized by Livio Felluga's
>PG. Then again, you have the PGs of Oregon: medium-rich, dry, often
>lightly oaked (I've recently had a similar PG from NZ). I've even had
>one good PG from California! ;-) How to choose among such riches?

Mark beat me to it, but I would have responded to the original
question in much the same manner. PG is one of those grapes that is
commercially important in only a (relatively) few places in the world.
(At least that's my sense from perusing wine shops in the USA's
Pacific Northwest.) Of the three that I have some familiarity with
(Oregon, Alsace, and northern Italy), I would be hard pressed to
choose "the best" from among the best of what each region has to
offer. As Mark points out, the styles are very different and there is
no reason why one should have to make such a choice.

Vino
To reply, add "x" between
letters and numbers of
e-mail address.

Monoterpenes in pinot gris Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 4 16-09-2009 06:21 AM
Trying to ID this Orange NSW Pinot Gris [email protected] Wine 3 01-12-2008 04:59 AM
Trying to ID this Organge NSW Pinot Gris [email protected] General 0 30-11-2008 12:03 PM
TN: German Pinot Gris DaleW Wine 4 24-07-2008 03:07 PM
pinot gris kit not clearing Don S Winemaking 4 14-02-2005 06:06 PM