Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: German Pinot Gris

With pork chops, caprese salad,and a green salad the 2007 Keller
Grauburgunder Trocken (Rheinhessen). On minerally end of the Pinot
Gris specturm, though there is a solid body of white peach and spiced
pear fruit. Dry, medium-bodied, good acidity,good finish. This was one
of those wines I occasionally run into that does everything right- but
still doesn't really push my buttons. I think I'm Pinot Gris/Grigio
challenged, I seldom love one (with the exception of a couple of
Alsace SGNs). This is as good a dry PG as I've had, but still can only
muster up enthusiasm to B level. I'm guessing others will like more.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> With pork chops, caprese salad,and a green salad the 2007 Keller
> Grauburgunder Trocken (Rheinhessen). On minerally end of the Pinot
> Gris specturm, though there is a solid body of white peach and spiced
> pear fruit. Dry, medium-bodied, good acidity,good finish. This was one
> of those wines I occasionally run into that does everything right- but
> still doesn't really push my buttons. I think I'm Pinot Gris/Grigio
> challenged, I seldom love one (with the exception of a couple of
> Alsace SGNs). This is as good a dry PG as I've had, but still can only
> muster up enthusiasm to B level. I'm guessing others will like more.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I haven't had any German Pinot Gris just Alsatian. I didn't even know
they made them. Are they similar in taste profile?
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" wrote ...........

> I haven't had any German Pinot Gris just Alsatian. I didn't even
> know they made them. Are they similar in taste profile?

Hi Larry

In German, PG is known as Ruländer or Grauburgunder.

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 23, 5:16*pm, "st.helier" > wrote:
> "Lawrence Leichtman" wrote ...........
>

> > I haven't had any German Pinot Gris just Alsatian. I didn't even
> > know they made them. Are they similar in taste profile?

> Hi Larry
>
> In German, PG is known as Ruländer or Grauburgunder.
>
> st.helier

Germany has a long history of growing Rulander aka Grauburgunder
grapes for wine. The best tends to come from the south Pfalz, and
especially from Baden. One of the best districts is the Kaiserstuhl in
Baden which has volcanic soil and a quite warm(for Germany) climate.
There are several wine villages in this area, many of which make good
to outstanding wine. It tends to be softer than some wines of Germany,
often is sold dry, and has a high alcohol content. It is only a short
distance across the river to Alsace. The dryer versions tend to get
sold as Grauburgunder these days, although one still finds Rulander on
some labels, especially for sweet, late harvest wines. Wines from
Baden can be difficult to find in the US and likely in many other
countries. The Germans are more than willing to drink this wine with
meals. I still have a few bottles of Bickensohler Steinfelsen Rulander
Auslese 1976. This is a quite sweet and tropical auslese with enough
acid to balance and it is not lacking in alcohol ether. A friendly
importer special ordered a case of this for me from Germany in the
late 70s.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> On Jul 23, 5:16*pm, "st.helier" > wrote:
> > "Lawrence Leichtman" wrote ...........
> >

> > > I haven't had any German Pinot Gris just Alsatian. I didn't even
> > > know they made them. Are they similar in taste profile?

> > Hi Larry
> >
> > In German, PG is known as Ruländer or Grauburgunder.
> >
> > st.helier

> Germany has a long history of growing Rulander aka Grauburgunder
> grapes for wine. The best tends to come from the south Pfalz, and
> especially from Baden. One of the best districts is the Kaiserstuhl in
> Baden which has volcanic soil and a quite warm(for Germany) climate.
> There are several wine villages in this area, many of which make good
> to outstanding wine. It tends to be softer than some wines of Germany,
> often is sold dry, and has a high alcohol content. It is only a short
> distance across the river to Alsace. The dryer versions tend to get
> sold as Grauburgunder these days, although one still finds Rulander on
> some labels, especially for sweet, late harvest wines. Wines from
> Baden can be difficult to find in the US and likely in many other
> countries. The Germans are more than willing to drink this wine with
> meals. I still have a few bottles of Bickensohler Steinfelsen Rulander
> Auslese 1976. This is a quite sweet and tropical auslese with enough
> acid to balance and it is not lacking in alcohol ether. A friendly
> importer special ordered a case of this for me from Germany in the
> late 70s.

I will have to try them as I am a fan of Alsatian Pinot Gris.

Monoterpenes in pinot gris Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 4 16-09-2009 06:21 AM
first attempt at pinot gris [email protected] Winemaking 0 27-04-2005 04:16 PM
pinot gris kit not clearing Don S Winemaking 4 14-02-2005 06:06 PM
Honig Pinot Gris jcoulter Wine 0 03-05-2004 12:58 AM
Pinot Gris - where is it best? Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 12 01-05-2004 03:45 AM