Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Wine storage

I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. The remainder
is under $30. My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
for this beginners' collection? Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
wrote:

>I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
>but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. The remainder
>is under $30. My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
>for this beginners' collection? Thanks in advance for any help.

The short answer is, it depends.

Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
$100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)

If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
your storage if you are like most people.)

Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.

Joseph Coulter
Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 8, 7:03*am, Joseph Coulter > wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
> wrote:
>
> >I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
> >but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. *The remainder
> >is under $30. *My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
> >for this beginners' collection? *Thanks in advance for any help.

> The short answer is, it depends.
>
> Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)
>
> If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> your storage if you are like most people.)
>
> Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.
>
> Joseph Coulter
> Joseph Couter cruises and vacationswww.josephcoulter.com

What Joseph said! I read question, formulated response, basically saw
he had written same thing!
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
> wrote:
>
>>I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
>>but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. The
>>remainder
>>is under $30. My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
>>for this beginners' collection? Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

> The short answer is, it depends.
>
> Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)
>
> If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> your storage if you are like most people.)
>
> Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.
>
> Joseph Coulter
> Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> www.josephcoulter.com

I live in the Seattle area. We don't have a basement. I keep my wine in
the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the temperature
in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
part of the house. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the house
year-around.

I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old refigerator.
At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
bottles. And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
years.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 8, 12:31�pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
> > wrote:

> >>I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
> >>but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. �The
> >>remainder
> >>is under $30. �My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
> >>for this beginners' collection? �Thanks in advance for any help..

> > The short answer is, it depends.

> > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)

> > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> > your storage if you are like most people.)

> > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.

> > Joseph Coulter
> > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> >www.josephcoulter.com

> I live in the Seattle area. �We don't have a basement. �I keep my wine in
> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the temperature
> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> part of the house. �Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the house
> year-around.
>
> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old refigerator.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Dead Dick" > wrote:

> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of $100+,
> >>but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. The
> >>remainder
> >>is under $30. My question is, what kind of wine storage would you suggest
> >>for this beginners' collection? Thanks in advance for any help.
> >>

> > The short answer is, it depends.
> >
> > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)
> >
> > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> > your storage if you are like most people.)
> >
> > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.
> >
> > Joseph Coulter
> > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> > www.josephcoulter.com

> I live in the Seattle area. We don't have a basement. I keep my wine in
> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the temperature
> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> part of the house. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the house
> year-around.
>
> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old refigerator.
> At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
> bottles. And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
> years.

It is temperature fluctuation that does ill things to wine. If you store
wine into the 80's the time frame for aging is sped up. Assume that a
house if constant temperature is kept is 75º F so expect a 50% speed up
in aging. If I had more than 5 $100 bottles I would have wine storage as
having those age prematurely would nullify the investment.
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dead Dick" > wrote:
>
>> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

>> > The short answer is, it depends.
>> >
>> > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
>> > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
>> > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)
>> >
>> > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
>> > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
>> > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
>> > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
>> > your storage if you are like most people.)
>> >
>> > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.
>> >
>> > Joseph Coulter
>> > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
>> > www.josephcoulter.com

>> I live in the Seattle area. We don't have a basement. I keep my wine in
>> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the
>> temperature
>> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
>> part of the house. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
>> house
>> year-around.
>>
>> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
>> refigerator.
>> At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
>> bottles. And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
>> years.

> It is temperature fluctuation that does ill things to wine. If you store
> wine into the 80's the time frame for aging is sped up. Assume that a
> house if constant temperature is kept is 75º F so expect a 50% speed up
> in aging. If I had more than 5 $100 bottles I would have wine storage as
> having those age prematurely would nullify the investment.

Thanks for your advice. Now I need to research which wine storage system to
buy, or should I pay a monthly fee to get a storage locker?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Jun 8, 12:31?pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 7 Jun 2009 18:12:30 -0700, "Dead Dick" >
> > wrote:

> >>I don't buy too many expensive bottles of wine; I have a handful of
> >>$100+,
> >>but most of my wine (about 30 bottles) is $30-$50 per bottle. ?The
> >>remainder
> >>is under $30. ?My question is, what kind of wine storage would you
> >>suggest
> >>for this beginners' collection? ?Thanks in advance for any help.

> > The short answer is, it depends.

> > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)

> > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> > your storage if you are like most people.)

> > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.

> > Joseph Coulter
> > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> >www.josephcoulter.com

> I live in the Seattle area. ?We don't have a basement. ?I keep my wine in
> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the temperature
> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> part of the house. ?Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
> house
> year-around.
>
> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
> refigerator.
> At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
> bottles. ?And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
> years.- Hide quoted text -

Consistancy is better than fluctuation. Cool is better than hot....
80F is too hot even for short term storage. Dark is better than
light. Horizontal is better than vertical. What is your budget?

I never considered this when I started buying and drinking wine. I would
usually buy a couples bottles and drink within a week or so. I do store in
closed cases (dark) lying horizontally. I suppose I would budget $500 for
the ability to store my wine.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 8, 11:14�pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> On Jun 8, 12:31?pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
>

> > "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > The short answer is, it depends.

> > > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> > > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> > > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)

> > > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> > > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> > > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> > > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> > > your storage if you are like most people.)

> > > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.

> > > Joseph Coulter
> > > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> > >www.josephcoulter.com

> > I live in the Seattle area. ?We don't have a basement. ?I keep my wine in
> > the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the temperature
> > in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> > part of the house. ?Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
> > house
> > year-around.

> > I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
> > refigerator.
> > At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
> > bottles. ?And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
> > years.- Hide quoted text -

> Consistancy is better than fluctuation. �Cool is better than hot.....
> 80F is too hot even for short term storage. �Dark is better than
> light. �Horizontal is better than vertical. �What is your budget?
>
> I never considered this when I started buying and drinking wine. �I would
> usually buy a couples bottles and drink within a week or so. �I do store in
> closed cases (dark) lying horizontally. �I suppose I would budget $500 for
> the ability to store my wine.- Hide quoted text -

Try checking here for info on units:

www.stratsplace.com/storageunits.html
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in message
On Jun 8, 11:14?pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
> "Bi!!" > wrote in message

> On Jun 8, 12:31?pm, "Dead Dick" > wrote:
>

> > "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

> .. .

> > > The short answer is, it depends.

> > > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
> > > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
> > > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)

> > > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
> > > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
> > > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
> > > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
> > > your storage if you are like most people.)

> > > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.

> > > Joseph Coulter
> > > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
> > >www.josephcoulter.com

> > I live in the Seattle area. ?We don't have a basement. ?I keep my wine
> > in
> > the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the
> > temperature
> > in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> > part of the house. ?Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
> > house
> > year-around.

> > I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
> > refigerator.
> > At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
> > bottles. ?And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
> > years.- Hide quoted text -

> Consistancy is better than fluctuation. ?Cool is better than hot....
> 80F is too hot even for short term storage. ?Dark is better than
> light. ?Horizontal is better than vertical. ?What is your budget?
>
> I never considered this when I started buying and drinking wine. ?I would
> usually buy a couples bottles and drink within a week or so. ?I do store
> in
> closed cases (dark) lying horizontally. ?I suppose I would budget $500 for
> the ability to store my wine.- Hide quoted text -

Try checking here for info on units:

www.stratsplace.com/storageunits.html

Thank you again for all your help. I've seen Eurocave advertised in Wine
Enthusiast, looks like a good unit.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Dead Dick" > wrote:
>
>> "Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message

>> > The short answer is, it depends.
>> >
>> > Where do you live, do you have basement with an unheated area that has
>> > a steady temp? What are you plans for long term storage? (are those
>> > $100 bottles for driniking in 20 years or when the occassion arises?)
>> >
>> > If you have a place for storage in the house that is great. If you,
>> > like me, live in a hot climate, Florida, even a small collection will
>> > benefit from a cooler. What kind and size depends on your needs and
>> > how large a collection you will have (it will grow to the limit of
>> > your storage if you are like most people.)
>> >
>> > Hope that helps a bit starts a dialogue.
>> >
>> > Joseph Coulter
>> > Joseph Couter cruises and vacations
>> > www.josephcoulter.com

>> I live in the Seattle area. We don't have a basement. I keep my wine in
>> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the
>> temperature
>> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
>> part of the house. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
>> house
>> year-around.
>>
>> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
>> refigerator.
>> At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
>> bottles. And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
>> years.

> It is temperature fluctuation that does ill things to wine. If you store
> wine into the 80's the time frame for aging is sped up. Assume that a
> house if constant temperature is kept is 75º F so expect a 50% speed up
> in aging. If I had more than 5 $100 bottles I would have wine storage as
> having those age prematurely would nullify the investment.

Assuming an Arrhenius expression on the kinetics, I'm going to disagree with
you on your assumption that the aging will speed up 50%. I haven't worked
out the math yet, but my experience tells me it won't equate so nicely.

As to your ROI, if the qualifier for ROI is getting the highest amount of
pleasure from drinking said aged $100 bottle, reaching that ROI in 10 years
is a better use of your money then 20 or more.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article > ,
"T.C." > wrote:

> "Lawrence Leichtman" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> >> I live in the Seattle area. We don't have a basement. I keep my wine in
> >> the unheated garage in the winter. During our short summer the
> >> temperature
> >> in the garage can get into the 80's, so I move the wine into the coolest
> >> part of the house. Perhaps it would be better just to leave it in the
> >> house
> >> year-around.
> >>
> >> I have considered buying a refrigerated wine cabinet or an old
> >> refigerator.
> >> At this point, I can't imagine my collection growing to more than 100
> >> bottles. And I probably won't keep more than a handful for more than 10
> >> years.

> > It is temperature fluctuation that does ill things to wine. If you store
> > wine into the 80's the time frame for aging is sped up. Assume that a
> > house if constant temperature is kept is 75º F so expect a 50% speed up
> > in aging. If I had more than 5 $100 bottles I would have wine storage as
> > having those age prematurely would nullify the investment.

> Assuming an Arrhenius expression on the kinetics, I'm going to disagree with
> you on your assumption that the aging will speed up 50%. I haven't worked
> out the math yet, but my experience tells me it won't equate so nicely.
>
> As to your ROI, if the qualifier for ROI is getting the highest amount of
> pleasure from drinking said aged $100 bottle, reaching that ROI in 10 years
> is a better use of your money then 20 or more.

But even in 10 years with fluctuating temps or high temps the wines may
be toast. Actually, with 80º temps the speed up of aging may be more
than 50% and small storage for 30 bottles or less is not that expensive.

Red Wine storage question Joel[_3_] Wine 3 13-10-2010 05:32 PM
Question on Wine storage Joel Sprague Winemaking 19 23-08-2005 01:15 AM
Wine storage [email protected] Wine 6 13-01-2005 10:52 PM
wine storage windsor Wine 6 13-01-2005 10:52 PM
Wine in Box Bladders for Wine Storage gerald Wine 0 25-08-2004 01:31 PM