Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Red Wine storage question

I am trying to determine the best way to store red wine.
I did buy a 6 bottle Cusinart wine cooler with thermoelectric cooler
and it broke after a few months.
Lost the receipt so I was unable to get it replaced under warranty.
After reading many reviews, it became appearant regardless of the
manufacturer that ALL thermoelectric wine coolers fail within a year
so I don't see the point in buying another one.

I typically hold around 6 bottles at a time and drink them within
several months.
Recently I bought a case because I got a really good deal on it.
If I drink the wine within several months does it even matter what the
storage conditions are like?
I have read about using a mini fridge with a separate temperature
controller which I would do but heard that the humidity is too low
which can dry out the cork and the vibration from the compressor hurts
the wine (really?)
Again if I am just storing the wine for a few months is that long
enough for the low humidity and vibration to be more of a problem than
temperature variations?
Also read about lining a closet with insulation to reduce temperature
variations.
Right now I keep the wine in the garage and the temperature can vary
from 40 to 100 degrees although most of the time it is between 60 and
80. If I keep it in the house then probably 65 to 80.

Thanks
Posted to alt.food.wine

When you are holding for a few months temperatures don't matter much if you
are able to keep them below 65F, say. Even 70 is acceptable, but not ideal.
75-80 probably not good at all :-)
When we are talking years or decades 50F is an optimum, 40 will keep wines
for a very long time. But even then, in my cellar, the yearly fluctuation
is 41 to 66 and I've kept bottles for 20 years without problems.
Anders

"Joel" > skrev i melding
>I am trying to determine the best way to store red wine.
> I did buy a 6 bottle Cusinart wine cooler with thermoelectric cooler
> and it broke after a few months.
> Lost the receipt so I was unable to get it replaced under warranty.
> After reading many reviews, it became appearant regardless of the
> manufacturer that ALL thermoelectric wine coolers fail within a year
> so I don't see the point in buying another one.
>
> I typically hold around 6 bottles at a time and drink them within
> several months.
> Recently I bought a case because I got a really good deal on it.
> If I drink the wine within several months does it even matter what the
> storage conditions are like?
> I have read about using a mini fridge with a separate temperature
> controller which I would do but heard that the humidity is too low
> which can dry out the cork and the vibration from the compressor hurts
> the wine (really?)
> Again if I am just storing the wine for a few months is that long
> enough for the low humidity and vibration to be more of a problem than
> temperature variations?
> Also read about lining a closet with insulation to reduce temperature
> variations.
> Right now I keep the wine in the garage and the temperature can vary
> from 40 to 100 degrees although most of the time it is between 60 and
> 80. If I keep it in the house then probably 65 to 80.
>
> Thanks

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 13, 7:29*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> When you are holding for a few months temperatures don't matter much if you
> are able to keep them below 65F, say. *Even 70 is acceptable, but not ideal.
> 75-80 probably not good at all :-)
> When we are talking years or decades 50F is an optimum, 40 will keep wines
> for a very long time. *But even then, in my cellar, the yearly fluctuation
> is 41 to 66 and I've kept bottles for 20 years without problems.
> Anders
>
> "Joel" > skrev i ...
>

> >I am trying to determine the best way to store red wine.
> > I did buy a 6 bottle Cusinart wine cooler with thermoelectric cooler
> > and it broke after a few months.
> > Lost the receipt so I was unable to get it replaced under warranty.
> > After reading many reviews, it became appearant regardless of the
> > manufacturer that ALL thermoelectric wine coolers fail within a year
> > so I don't see the point in buying another one.

> > I typically hold around 6 bottles at a time and drink them within
> > several months.
> > Recently I bought a case because I got a really good deal on it.
> > If I drink the wine within several months does it even matter what the
> > storage conditions are like?
> > I have read about using a mini fridge with a separate temperature
> > controller which I would do but heard that the humidity is too low
> > which can dry out the cork and the vibration from the compressor hurts
> > the wine (really?)
> > Again if I am just storing the wine for a few months is that long
> > enough for the low humidity and vibration to be more of a problem than
> > temperature variations?
> > Also read about lining a closet with insulation to reduce temperature
> > variations.
> > Right now I keep the wine in the garage and the temperature can vary
> > from 40 to 100 degrees although most of the time it is between 60 and
> > 80. If I keep it in the house then probably 65 to 80.

> > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

I beleive Dale and Mark did a little personal test on time/temp
storage and concluded no big deal at room temp for short amounts of
time.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 13, 9:49*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Oct 13, 7:29*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
> wrote:
>

> > When you are holding for a few months temperatures don't matter much if you
> > are able to keep them below 65F, say. *Even 70 is acceptable, but not ideal.
> > 75-80 probably not good at all :-)
> > When we are talking years or decades 50F is an optimum, 40 will keep wines
> > for a very long time. *But even then, in my cellar, the yearly fluctuation
> > is 41 to 66 and I've kept bottles for 20 years without problems.
> > Anders

> > "Joel" > skrev i ...

> > >I am trying to determine the best way to store red wine.
> > > I did buy a 6 bottle Cusinart wine cooler with thermoelectric cooler
> > > and it broke after a few months.
> > > Lost the receipt so I was unable to get it replaced under warranty.
> > > After reading many reviews, it became appearant regardless of the
> > > manufacturer that ALL thermoelectric wine coolers fail within a year
> > > so I don't see the point in buying another one.

> > > I typically hold around 6 bottles at a time and drink them within
> > > several months.
> > > Recently I bought a case because I got a really good deal on it.
> > > If I drink the wine within several months does it even matter what the
> > > storage conditions are like?
> > > I have read about using a mini fridge with a separate temperature
> > > controller which I would do but heard that the humidity is too low
> > > which can dry out the cork and the vibration from the compressor hurts
> > > the wine (really?)
> > > Again if I am just storing the wine for a few months is that long
> > > enough for the low humidity and vibration to be more of a problem than
> > > temperature variations?
> > > Also read about lining a closet with insulation to reduce temperature
> > > variations.
> > > Right now I keep the wine in the garage and the temperature can vary
> > > from 40 to 100 degrees although most of the time it is between 60 and
> > > 80. If I keep it in the house then probably 65 to 80.

> > > Thanks- Hide quoted text -

> I beleive Dale and Mark did a little personal test on time/temp
> storage and concluded no big deal at room temp for short amounts of
> time.

We had some mixed results, but over a bit longer span.
Personally, I think it's unlikely that 75 degrees for 3-4 months will
do any noticable damage to most red wines (assuming not a natural/no
added sulphur cuvee).
But over 80 really dramatically increases chances of wine being
cooked, AND of expansion causing leakage/oxygen ingress.
In OP's case, for 6 bottles there's no sense in any kind of cooling
system. If house really pushes 80, I'd opt for fridge. But in general
I'd just look for coolest/stablest spot- floor of a closet or
whatever, and place blanket over them for insulation. The garage would
probably be fine for 8 months of the year if temps range from 40 to
100.

another pu'er storage question Alex[_3_] Tea 11 02-06-2007 03:50 PM
storage question Richard Neidich Wine 10 20-11-2006 02:26 PM
Question on Wine storage Joel Sprague Winemaking 19 23-08-2005 01:15 AM
Wine storage question skenzer Wine 7 20-09-2004 07:39 AM
Newbie wine question: Storage Vincent Wine 3 13-07-2004 02:25 AM