Default Wine storage

Could someone be so kind as to tell me how long I could keep a bottle of
red wine (Chianti), after I've opened it? I'm the only wine drinkier in
the family and enjoy a glass or two now and then, and hate to see it go
to waste. Thanks much.

I too recently started using the pump (it was 7 bucks on sale at Wal-Mart,
and spare "corks" were about $3 for 3 of them).....it works well, and the
wine tastes almost the same 2-3 days later, depending, of course, on the
wine. I've noticed some keep better than others, and it seems price has zero
to do with "staying power"! ( I don't drink Chianti, rather prefer Merlot,
Grenache, occasional Syrah)......Good Luck!

"Steve Slatcher" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 15 Jan 2004 17:26:01 -0500, wrote:
>
> >Could someone be so kind as to tell me how long I could keep a bottle of
> >red wine (Chianti), after I've opened it? I'm the only wine drinkier in
> >the family and enjoy a glass or two now and then, and hate to see it go
> >to waste. Thanks much.

> It depends. Suck it and see!
>
> If I pump the air out of the bottle and stick the bottle in the fridge
> I have found no problems keeping a young wine for 2 or 3 days. Old
> wines are a lot more fragile and should be drunk as soon after they
> are opened.
>
> HTH
>
> --
> Steve Slatcher

http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher

CabFan

On 11-Jan-2005, "a" > wrote:

> >Which is better for storing wine... too hot or too cold? I have some
> >wine which is already 6 years old and I want to age it for a few more
> >years.
> >
> >I live in a hot sub-tropical climate which is well above the 15ºC
> >reccomended for wine storage. Refrigerating it would be well below 15ºC.
> >
> >I imagine that while the heat will damage the wine, the cold of the
> >fridge will slow the ageing process but not actually damage it. Is this
> >correct?

> Can you get a spare old fridge and adjust the thermostat to maximise the
> temp?
> This would probably give you about 10 deg celcius or so, which would be
> OK.
> Normal 4 deg fridge temps are too low and apparently kill the fruit
> flavours off over time. If the existing themostat doesn't have the range,
> an
> option would be to install another themostat to cut the power to the
> fridge
> when ever the temp gets too low.

The problem with using a standard refrigerator is that they are designed to
*remove* humidity, which you need for wine storage (>50% humidity).
Purple Feet Wines

I'm planning on opening a wine bar with 30-40 wines by the glass.
Although the WineBar systems seem to be most favorable to quality, I
still want the romance of pouring from the bottle.

What's the current thoughts on preserving wine - over night or a few
days? Whites will take care of themselves, but I'm more concerned over
offering a Far Niente or comparable wine - by the glass.

One local high-end resort here uses vacuum process after each pour. Most
vineyards I've talked to use inert gasses.

I want to offer a great selection btg - but don't want to throw my
profits down the drain - appreciate your thoughts.

Bill

Anders Tørneskog

"Purple Feet Wines" > skrev i melding
om...

> What's the current thoughts on preserving wine - over night or a few days?
> Whites will take care of themselves,

Will they?
Well, I had a Mosel TBA in October that had been opened in August... still
extremely good, but you are not going to sell that sort of wine.
Storing reds cold is not an option for selling glasses, unless you zap them
in a microwave...
Vacuum pumps or inert gasses have not really proven their value, I feel, but
there is a lot of white knights fighting for each.
Count on a great deal of spoilage whatever you do. Why not seek out the
very best of BiB wines? They are not all plonk and a selection could form
the backbone of your bread and butter business. Putting in a few prestige
bottle names as well will add oomph to your marketing. The mid range should
be some interesting bottles for the wine conscious types. You'll have to
watch the business closely to see whether this range catches on and makes a
reasonable profit.
I guess you might count on selling 3-4 glasses per bottle (but I'm not in
the business - so I don't know for sure about the economics involved)
hth
Anders

Vincent

"Purple Feet Wines" wrote in message...

> I'm planning on opening a wine bar with 30-40 wines by the glass.
> Although the WineBar systems seem to be most favorable to quality, I
> still want the romance of pouring from the bottle.
>
> What's the current thoughts on preserving wine - over night or a few
> days? Whites will take care of themselves, but I'm more concerned over
> offering a Far Niente or comparable wine - by the glass.
>
> One local high-end resort here uses vacuum process after each pour. Most
> vineyards I've talked to use inert gasses.
>
> I want to offer a great selection btg - but don't want to throw my
> profits down the drain - appreciate your thoughts.
>
> Bill

I can't offer a suggestion on how to preserve the wine, because I don't
think there's really a way. But a friend of mine who owns a restaurant, uses
half bottles of the higher quality wines to minimize waste.

\/

Red Wine storage question Joel[_3_] Wine 3 13-10-2010 05:32 PM
Wine storage Dead Dick Wine 11 10-06-2009 09:39 PM
Question on Wine storage Joel Sprague Winemaking 19 23-08-2005 01:15 AM
wine storage windsor Wine 6 13-01-2005 09:52 PM
Wine in Box Bladders for Wine Storage gerald Wine 0 25-08-2004 01:31 PM