Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Riesling, Champagne, Gewurz, and more with Chinese food

Mark Golodetz organized a Riesling/Champagne (with a few outliers)
dinner at my favorite Westchester Chinese place, Central Seafood in
Hartsdale. A very nice crew of 15 came together, with assorted
Zachonians, multiple Dawsons, mad Croatians, serious cellar designers,
and other friends new and old.

Food quality was a little varied this night, but mostly quite good. I
loved the head-on shrimp, dumplings, one batch of the jalapeno shrimp,
the greens, , chicken, sole with ginger. I liked the lobster, duck,
Dungeness crab, rice. The beef and coriander soup was good once
seasoning adjusted, and one platter of the shrimp was not as good. But
overall quite nice

Many many wines. Rudimentary notes, my apologies for any goofs:

NV Mumm Cramant
As usual, a nice wine. Light yeasty/doughy notes, apple fruit, fresh,
good. B+/B

NV Billecart-Salmon rose
This wasn't showing well, fruit seems a bit flat (wine itself was
plenty bubbly). short, not awful (to me, at least once thought it was
terrible), but not what it should be. B-

(2007 I think) Luneau-Papin "Clos des Allees" Muscadet
Somewhat rounder style of Muscadet, seashells a bit hidden under white
fruit. B

2002 Taittinger Brut
Lemon peel, apples, peaches, fun. B/B+

2006 Rosacroce "Midolini" Sauvignon (Colli Orientali del Friuli)
Different and interesting SB, herbs (mint and cilantro), cat pee, and
lemony fruit. Good length. B+/B

1996*Pol Roger Cuvee Winston Churchill
No notes here, but I certainly liked it, A-

1999 Godme Brut
I didn't take any notes first time around, just a positive checkmark,
but quite a while later this showed very nicely, fresh baked bread
with apple butter. B+

A mystery wine went around. My first guess was Gewurztraminer, but
then someone suggested a Gewurz/Muscat/other stuff field blend, which
seemed plausible. Quite sweet, seems a bit old/tired, short finish.
It's the 2007 Penguin Bay Gewurztraminer (Finger Lakes), C/C+

1971 Scharzhofberger Auslese
Still some sweetness, light petrol, orange creamsicle, minerals,
honey. Revisited after 2 hours still lively. What a vintage. A-

1988 Max. Grunhauser (von Schubert) Herrenberg Riesling Auslese
Good acidity, spices, lively fruit, strong finish. Young but with lots
of complexity. Grunhauser rocks. A-

There was a 1976 Von Simmern Auslese, but I forgot to get vineyard.
Very dark color, but alive on palate, some botryris, moderate acidity,
good finish. B+

1988 Boch Trittenheimer Apotheke Auslese
Light color, but a tiny bit tired on palate, apples and a little
slate. B/B-

2001 Zind Humbrecht "Herrenweg de Turkheim" Gewurztraminer
I love the idea of the indice of sweetness on Olivier's wines, but
they don't seem in practive to match reality. This is a 2, and most ZH
2s I've had are pretty sweet, this is as close to bone dry as he gets.
Flowers, litchis, a bit boring, B-

1989 Hugel Vendagne Tardive
Showing nicely, just a hint of sugar but basically dry, concentrated,
long. A-/B+

1983 Scharzhofberger Auslese
Such a shame. There seemed to be a lovely wine lurking here, orange
marmalade and honey, but there was just enough cardboard to convince
me it was corked.

To make it worse, a 1983 JJ Prum GKA was even more corked. Ack!

1994 Zind Humbrecht "Clos Windsbuhl" Gewurztraminer
Much richer and more interesting than the '01 Herrenweg. Spatlese
level sweetness. Big but not ungainly. I like this (I tend to like ZH
Gewurz and PG more than Riesling). B+

1990 Berres Urziger Wurzgarten Beerenauslese
Quite young, good acids. Less sweet than I expect a BA to be, but
lovely flavors of apples, pit fruits, and Eastern spices. A-/B+

Fun night, thanks to Mark for organizing, and to all for
participating!

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

My (limited, unfortunately) experience of ZH is that they do well over time,
besides, methinks Windsbuhl is a better location than Herrenweg.

Cheers

Nils

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 23, 6:04*am, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> wrote:
> My (limited, unfortunately) experience of ZH is that they do well over time,
> besides, methinks Windsbuhl is a better location than Herrenweg.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

Agreed re Windsbuhl being better location, unfortunately market knows
it too

I goofed, should have listed the '71 Scharzhofberger as Von Volxem,
the '83 as Von Hovel GKA
Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > skrev i melding
>I goofed, should have listed the '71 Scharzhofberger as Von Volxem,
>the '83 as Von Hovel GKA

Nitpicking mode on.
It is Van Volxem! (originally Dutch!)
And Von Hoevel (to be exact in transcribing the letter ö)
Nitpicking mode off

:-) Anders

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Anders Tørneskog" > wrote:

> And Von Hoevel (to be exact in transcribing the letter ö)

Not "ø"?!

<scnr, gdr>

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 24, 7:29*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > skrev i ...
>
> >I goofed, should have listed the '71 Scharzhofberger as Von Volxem,
> >the '83 as Von Hovel GKA

> Nitpicking mode on.
> It is Van Volxem! (originally Dutch!)
> And Von Hoevel (to be exact in transcribing the letter ö)
> Nitpicking mode off
>
> :-) Anders

Thanks, I actually wrote Van Volxem, then thought "wait, German is
Von" and changed it.

As to ö, I have AllChars on my computer, and used to try very hard to
get my diacriticals right. But it seems that not every newsreader/
computer handles well, and leads to lots of ugly garbage when someone
quotes. So I stopped. I'm aware that the proper replacement is oe, but
in the English language wine boards where I post, virtually no one
does that. I've opted for ease of search rather than proper German.