Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Bdx, RIesling, CdP, Champagne and SuperTuscan at Afghan KebabHouse

Headed to the city for a guys night with some old friends last night.
We gathered at Afghan Kebab House on 9th; I hadn't been there in a
while and as always enjoyed it. We shared some pumpkin and spinach
bulanee and a complimentary dish of meat dumplings as an appetizer;
for main course I had lamb kebabs, plus we shared some eggplant and a
lamb stew.

The wines:
NV Deutz Brut Champagne
More elegant than powerful, bright, apples and orange peel with a
biscuity note, quite a nice bottle of NV bubbly. I should drink more
Deutz. Thanks Chris! B++

1993 Gunderloch Nackenheim Rothenberg Spatlese*
Not as petrolly as the '94, though there definitely is some there.
White peaches, lots of citrus, flowers. Not quite as vibrant as the
'94 was, but a nice wine (though maybe a bit better on nose than
palate). Good match with the pumpkin appetizer. B+/B

2004 La Roquete Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Sweet red fruit, decent acidity, some slightly gritty tannins. This
could use some time, but nice potential is my initial impression. A
retry later appeals a bit less, as there is a slight cough syrup note.
I think others like more, and they have more affection for and
experience with CdP than I. But for me, B/B-

1998 Galatrona Petrolo
Merlot SuperTuscan. Okay, this is unabashedly modern/international,
but very well done in the idiom. Dense black plum fruit, with a little
minty note and lots of milk chocolate. The oak has integrated into
those cocoa notes, good length, big warm mouthfeel. I really enjoy the
first glass, not quite so much later- not because wine changed, but
others wines had come between. This is the kind of wine for me that I
love a glass, but not so eager to have a bottle for dinner. Solid B+
for that first glass. Thanks John for a nice wine!

1988 Maximin Grunhauser (Von Schubert) Abtsberg Spatlese
This was another generous offering by John, and maybe bottle I was
most looking forward to. It was a bit of a disappointment at dinner, a
bit mute and tight. One could sense some coiled energy back there, but
not a lot showing. However, I took the remainder with me and had a
small glass on the train home. What a difference an hour makes. This
was great (GREAT) wine. Light yet with a core of fruit that stood out
purely, smoke and wet rocks. There's more, I hope that some of that
greatness remains tonight. B-/B at dinner, A on the train.

1995 Ch. Lagrange (Pomerol)
I seldom see this wine, and tend to think of it as "lesser" compared
to it's St Julien name-share. But that's based on .....I'm not sure
what! Only second time I remember having this, and it showed nicely.
Mature, solid plum fruit, a light leafy note. Some cedar. B+/B

1986 Ch. Meyney (St Estephe)
Arv commented how the whole Cordier stable (Meyney, Gruaud, Talbot)
hit it out of the park in '86. Another nice showing for this old fave.
Sweet dense fruit, some tobacco and cedar, still some tannins though
not at all intrusive. This is coasting effortlessly, could even use a
few more years. A-

1985 Ch. Canon (St Emilion)
Thanks Ramon, my WOTN (at table, we'll leave the Grunhauser on train
out of this), just edges the Meyney, mainly because it is totally and
completely a pointe right now. Despite that ripe '85 fruit, there's a
good backbone of acidity. Tannins are resolved, there beautiful red
fruit- a melange of cherries, red plums, berries. Cigarbox, menthol,
damp earth. A lovely wine. A-

1989 Ch. Oliver (Pessac-Leognan)
Ramon says this is a great introductory Bdx for CA drinkers, I can see
why. Ripe fruit, lighter tannins, low acids. There is an earthy note
that says claret. Nice medium bodied wine, not the classic that WS
called nor the dog that WA predicted. B

Not a wine I wouldn't happily have at my table. Nor a person I
wouldn't happily have at my table! Generous and fun group,

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 18, 10:03�am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> good backbone of acidity. Tannins are resolved, there beautiful red
> fruit- a melange of cherries, red plums, berries. Cigarbox, menthol,
> damp earth. A lovely wine. A-
>
> 1989 Ch. Oliver (Pessac-Leognan)
> Ramon says this is a great introductory Bdx for CA drinkers, I can see
> why. Ripe fruit, lighter tannins, low acids. There is an earthy note
> that says claret. Nice medium bodied wine, not the classic that WS
> called nor the dog that WA predicted. B
>
> Not a wine I wouldn't happily have at my table. Nor a person I
> wouldn't happily have at my table! Generous and fun group,
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

I always prefered the Pomerol from Lagrange. A bit juicier and
fleshy with the merlot content and a good QPR.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2009-02-18 07:03:46 -0800, DaleW > said:

> However, I took the remainder with me and had a
> small glass on the train home. What a difference an hour makes. This
> was great (GREAT) wine. Light yet with a core of fruit that stood out
> purely, smoke and wet rocks. There's more, I hope that some of that
> greatness remains tonight. B-/B at dinner, A on the train.

All wines get an A on the train, if you ask me...

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ronin" > wrote in message
> On 2009-02-18 07:03:46 -0800, DaleW > said:
>>
>> However, I took the remainder with me and had a
>> small glass on the train home. What a difference an hour makes. This
>> was great (GREAT) wine. Light yet with a core of fruit that stood out
>> purely, smoke and wet rocks. There's more, I hope that some of that
>> greatness remains tonight. B-/B at dinner, A on the train.

> All wines get an A on the train, if you ask me...

hmmm. Take the A train?

greybeard

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 18, 10:03*am, DaleW > wrote:
> [...]
> good backbone of acidity. Tannins are resolved, there beautiful red
> fruit- a melange of cherries, red plums, berries. Cigarbox, menthol,
> damp earth. A lovely wine. A-
>
> 1989 Ch. Oliver (Pessac-Leognan)
> Ramon says this is a great introductory Bdx for CA drinkers, I can see
> why. Ripe fruit, lighter tannins, low acids. There is an earthy note
> that says claret. Nice medium bodied wine, not the classic that WS
> called nor the dog that WA predicted. B
>
> Not a wine I wouldn't happily have at my table. Nor a person I
> wouldn't happily have at my table! Generous and fun group,
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

so I saw John at Zachys today, he said Grunhauser was actually '89.
Sorry