Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Great Champagne and Chinese food

Last night a few SOBER folks and SOs had a dinner at our favorite
Chinese (Cantonese) place, CentralSeafood in Hartsdale. Jackson
arranged a great assortment of dishes- whole shrimp in shoyu
(headsucking shrimp!), jalapeno stuffed shrimp, a couple of types of
dumplings, fish and squash soup, fried lobster and crab, beef w/
peppers, crispy garlic chicken, whole fish with scallions and ginger,
and probably something I forgot. Betsy and I loved the food. This is
our traditional Champagne dinner, and we had a stellar lineup.

NV Billecart Salmon Rosé Champagne
One of my offerings. Generally my favorite NV rosé, showed fine
tonight, but overshadowed by its tablemates. Strawberries with a
little blood orange and tangerine, big biscuit note handing out there.
On another night I probably would rate higher, but I always say I am
not consistent, and on this high competition night it gets a B/B+

1996 Deutz "Cuvée William Deutz" Rosé Champagne
So pale I had to doublecheck it was rose. But pale doesn't translate
to lack of flavor. Red berries and mineral, long and tasty. Fairly
delicate mousse. This got better and better through night. A-

1998 Billecart Salmon "Cuvée Nicolas François Billecart" Champagne
My other wine. Very yeasty, with moderate mousse and high acids. This
really seems to need some time. I do enjoy the flavors though- apple
pie and lemon curd, some mineral on finish. Promising, but for now B+

1985 Pol Roger "Cuvee Winston Churchill" Champagne
Boy, the Champagne version of iron fist in velvet glove. You can feel
power, but this is at the same time light, elegant, and delicate.
Apple turnovers and spice, an almost smoky note, long and lingering
finish. I'd call this a pointe for my tastes. Great bubbly. A

Fun night, fun people, fun food, fun wines.