Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Merry Edwards, St. Clair SB

Sunday night, we made a simple dinner of carrot soup, freshly baked
baguettes and charcuterie, Jean asked for a Pinot Noir, so on down to
the cellar and back with a bottle of:

2005 Merry Edwards Pinot Noir "Russian River Valley"
nose: initially, dark toned, closed; opening to floral, smoky red fruit
palate: initially closed down; with time it becomes velvety and
red-toned with crisp acidity.

I was worried at first that this wine was shut down, but open up it did
and revealed a graceful, restrained Pinot Noir more about red than black
fruits. No hurry to open this one, I'd say.

Tonight, we took Andrew out for a Japanese meal after his swimming
lesson, and with our dinner of salt-broiled salmon, edamame and
shabu-shabu, we got a bottle of:

2008 St. Clair Sauvignon Blanc "Vicar's Choice"
nose: white flowers, stones, subtle grapefruit
palate: crisp, delicate, floral, grapefruit, mineral

Quite a nice surprise, this was a more delicate and perfumed example of
Marlborough SB, somewhat reminiscent in the nose of Pinot Blanc. Jean
was reminded of the Matanzas Creek SBs we used to drink in the '80s,
made by none other than... Merry Edwards.

Mark Lipton