Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: B'day dinner- Bon Pasteur, Felsina, Clair, Ellner

Monday was number 47 for me, and Betsy invited some friends over to
celebrate. Food was great, wine was fine, but the friends and love
made the evening special. I feel blessed.

We started with some warmed herbed olives (Alice Waters recipe) and
the NV Charles Ellner "Reserve" Brut Champagne while Betsy finished up
in kitchen. The Champagne was clean and fresh, with light buttermilk
biscuit aromas dancing over the pear/apple fruit. Not anything
special, but fulfilled its role. B

First course was a dandelion/bibb salad with a poached eggs and
lardons, and some roasted red carrots (really- purple on outside, kind
of red in). Wine was the 2005 Francois & Denis Clair "Les Murgers de
Dents de Chien" Saint-Aubin 1er Cru. I have decided until pre-ox
issues are finished my plan for white Burgs is to stick to under $25
bottles for early drinking. This one works nicely. Mineral (chalk,
flint) over a light framework of wood, bright and clean ripe pear
fruit and a little nut and butterscotch on finish. B+/B

Betsy knows I like braised meats as a background for my wines, and she
made a great stracatto for main course, with olive oil mashed
potatoes and some sugar snap peas. The main wine in stratcotto was
Chianti, so I went with Sangiovese for first wine.

1999 Fattoria di Felsina "Fontalloro" (Toscana IGT )
This was a little reticent at first, but once it opened up it just
sang. Pretty and focused acidity, ripe black cherry fruit with an
accent of raspberry.
Cigarbox and spice, good length, ripe easy tannins. This is young, but
with loads of potential. A-

1990 Ch.Le Bon Pasteur (Pomerol)
This was rather difficult at first. I thought it actually showed signs
of heat damage, though I got it from a friend, and have had excellent
bottles from the case. But the stewed notes just totally blew away,
leaving a rather fun wine. Big ripe black plums and blackberries, low-
acid, plush. Develops aromas of Asian spices and a little tobacco.
While I don't count myself as a big Rolland fan, he did well here. B+

Fun night, good friends, great wife.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Monday was number 47 for me, and Betsy invited some friends over to
> celebrate. Food was great, wine was fine, but the friends and love
> made the evening special. I feel blessed.

Happy Birthday, Dale, you young whippersnapper! ;-) It sounds like a
very fun night all round. Funny that you had the Les Murgers des Dents
de Chien in light of our recent exchange.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:

> DaleW wrote:
>> Monday was number 47 for me, and Betsy invited some friends over to
>> celebrate. Food was great, wine was fine, but the friends and love
>> made the evening special. I feel blessed.

Tanjobi omedetou gozaimasu, Dale-san (belated)

Godzilla