Posted to alt.food.wine

Default pairing question

My daughter is looking for a bottle of wine to go with Valentine's Day
dinner. Problem, she needs to pair with a seafood dish with a Fra Divalo
(sp?) sauce.Part of me says go with a Prosecco any other ideas, comments on
Prosecco as a choice?

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter > writes:

> My daughter is looking for a bottle of wine to go with Valentine's Day
> dinner. Problem, she needs to pair with a seafood dish with a Fra Divalo
> (sp?) sauce.Part of me says go with a Prosecco any other ideas, comments on
> Prosecco as a choice?

Fra Divalo means (to me) cooked tomatoes, garlic and red pepper
flakes.

I wouldn't want to drink Prosecco with that sauce (regardless of what
seafood is involved).

Grenache (southern Rhone maybe, or perhaps better yet, Spain) is the
first thing that occurs to me.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 11 Feb 2009 15:23:36 -0800, Doug Anderson
> wrote:

> Joseph Coulter > writes:
>
> > My daughter is looking for a bottle of wine to go with Valentine's Day
> > dinner. Problem, she needs to pair with a seafood dish with a Fra Divalo
> > (sp?) sauce.Part of me says go with a Prosecco any other ideas, comments on
> > Prosecco as a choice?

> Fra Divalo means (to me) cooked tomatoes, garlic and red pepper
> flakes.
>
> I wouldn't want to drink Prosecco with that sauce (regardless of what
> seafood is involved).
>
> Grenache (southern Rhone maybe, or perhaps better yet, Spain) is the
> first thing that occurs to me.

My view is very different from yours. If food is spicy, my first
choice for wine is invariably cold wine, and that means white (or very
occasionally rosé), rather than red.

Prosecco might not be my first choice for a white, but it seems fine
to me.

And by the way, to answer Joseph's question about spelling, it's "Fra
Diavolo," not "Fra Divalo."

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ken Blake > wrote in
news
> On 11 Feb 2009 15:23:36 -0800, Doug Anderson
> > wrote:
>
>> Joseph Coulter > writes:
>>
>> > My daughter is looking for a bottle of wine to go with Valentine's
>> > Day dinner. Problem, she needs to pair with a seafood dish with a
>> > Fra Divalo (sp?) sauce.Part of me says go with a Prosecco any other
>> > ideas, comments on Prosecco as a choice?

>> Fra Divalo means (to me) cooked tomatoes, garlic and red pepper
>> flakes.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to drink Prosecco with that sauce (regardless of what
>> seafood is involved).
>>
>> Grenache (southern Rhone maybe, or perhaps better yet, Spain) is the
>> first thing that occurs to me.

> My view is very different from yours. If food is spicy, my first
> choice for wine is invariably cold wine, and that means white (or very
> occasionally rosé), rather than red.
>
> Prosecco might not be my first choice for a white, but it seems fine
> to me.
>
> And by the way, to answer Joseph's question about spelling, it's "Fra
> Diavolo," not "Fra Divalo."

Grenache is a good idea. Funny, because if the dish in question had been
Paella I may have thought of it myself.

Vermentino as a white would be nice as well, but those pesky tomatoes .
.. .

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" > wrote in message
05.209...
> Ken Blake > wrote in
> news >
>> On 11 Feb 2009 15:23:36 -0800, Doug Anderson
>> > wrote:

>>> Fra Divalo means (to me) cooked tomatoes, garlic and red pepper
>>> flakes.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't want to drink Prosecco with that sauce (regardless of what
>>> seafood is involved).
>>>
>>> Grenache (southern Rhone maybe, or perhaps better yet, Spain) is the
>>> first thing that occurs to me.

>> My view is very different from yours. If food is spicy, my first
>> choice for wine is invariably cold wine, and that means white (or very
>> occasionally rosé), rather than red.
>>
>> Prosecco might not be my first choice for a white, but it seems fine
>> to me.
>>
>> And by the way, to answer Joseph's question about spelling, it's "Fra
>> Diavolo," not "Fra Divalo."
>>

> Grenache is a good idea. Funny, because if the dish in question had been
> Paella I may have thought of it myself.
>
> Vermentino as a white would be nice as well, but those pesky tomatoes .
> . .
>
> --
> Joseph Coulter

Perhaps your daughter has a preference as to white or red; that might make
the decision easier.

For myself, I would prefer a red, tho not heavy, for a highly seasoned
seafood dish which includes tomato. I would not serve rose, though.

My opinion,
Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

FWIW I ended up reccomending a Valpolicella as it is a very appraochable
wine within her budget. I went with the Masi Bonacosta if for no other
reason because I knew she could find that distinctive black bottle!

How will it work? We shall see.

Thanks to those who responded.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:
> FWIW I ended up reccomending a Valpolicella as it is a very appraochable
> wine within her budget. I went with the Masi Bonacosta if for no other
> reason because I knew she could find that distinctive black bottle!
>
> How will it work? We shall see.

I wouldn't think that it'll work too well (not acidic enough). Maybe a
Barbera would be better suited? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see
what she thinks.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton > wrote in
:

> Joseph Coulter wrote:
>> FWIW I ended up reccomending a Valpolicella as it is a very
>> appraochable wine within her budget. I went with the Masi Bonacosta
>> if for no other reason because I knew she could find that distinctive
>> black bottle!
>>
>> How will it work? We shall see.

> I wouldn't think that it'll work too well (not acidic enough). Maybe
> a Barbera would be better suited? Anyway, it'll be interesting to see
> what she thinks.
>
> Mark Lipton

Actually I got frustrated trying to help and settled for something not
to heavy and readily accessible. Babera d'asti or Dolcetto were higher
on my list but she balked at trying to find them even with me on the
phone.

Pairing Question Bi!! Wine 7 04-09-2008 05:18 PM
Food Pairing Question Little Malice[_4_] General Cooking 49 22-12-2007 05:48 PM
yet another food pairing question Timote Wine 8 18-03-2004 06:03 PM
Food pairing question cherie Wine 8 07-03-2004 05:54 PM
pairing question jcoulter Wine 2 24-11-2003 03:07 AM