Timote

Default yet another food pairing question

hello all- thought someone might enjoy chiming in on this one- having dinner
tonight, and thought I could get some help on this!

trying to budget these wines at $20 or under

course 1- salad of mixed greens, candied walnuts, dried cherries w/ a maple
syrup flavored dressing

2- braised rabbit with a red-wine sauce, over sage polenta, with cornbread

3. warm bread pudding with a caramel drizzle

---------------------
was thinkin a nice crisp SB or un-oaked chard for the first course, maybe a
medium-bodied syrah for the rabbit, and a dry brut bottle of buubly ( or even a
liqueur) for the dessert. any opinions? looking to something a bit out of the
ordinary if possible. Thanks so much!!

Mark Lipton

Timote wrote:

> hello all- thought someone might enjoy chiming in on this one- having dinner
> tonight, and thought I could get some help on this!
>
> trying to budget these wines at $20 or under
>
> course 1- salad of mixed greens, candied walnuts, dried cherries w/ a maple
> syrup flavored dressing
>
> 2- braised rabbit with a red-wine sauce, over sage polenta, with cornbread
>
> 3. warm bread pudding with a caramel drizzle
>
> ---------------------
> was thinkin a nice crisp SB or un-oaked chard for the first course, maybe a
> medium-bodied syrah for the rabbit, and a dry brut bottle of buubly ( or even a
> liqueur) for the dessert. any opinions? looking to something a bit out of the
> ordinary if possible. Thanks so much!!

I don't know about pairing with that salad (how much maple syrup in that
dressing?), but with the rabbit, I'd suggest a good Cru beaujolais if you have one
-- very underrated food wines, perfect with rabbit and highly affordable. With
the bread pudding, I'd prefer coffee myself, but de gustibus and all that...

Mark Lipton

RV WRLee

>I don't know about pairing with that salad (how much maple syrup in that
>dressing?), but with the rabbit, I'd suggest a good Cru beaujolais if you
>have one
>-- very underrated food wines, perfect with rabbit and highly affordable.

The salad is problematic with the candied walnuts, cherries and maple syrup.
You might consider a sparkling Chenin Blanc from the Loire. They have just a
hint of sweetness and can be found for under $20.00. I would agree with the
Cru Beaujolais that Mark has recommended.
Bi!!
Timote

ok, thanks to you both- that gives me some good direction..

cheers,

tim
Timote

ok, thanks-
that helps!
well, the cornbread will go on the table with the salad I suppose. I guess that
is a lot of corn- ha. maybe I have some corn vitamin deficiency I didn't know
about.

thanks,

tim
alfaekko

"Timote" > skrev i en meddelelse
> hello all- thought someone might enjoy chiming in on this one- having

dinner
> tonight, and thought I could get some help on this!
>
> trying to budget these wines at $20 or under
>
> course 1- salad of mixed greens, candied walnuts, dried cherries w/ a

maple
> syrup flavored dressing

If the dressing has vinegar in it, try a Fino Sherry, i.e Lustau, straigt
from the fridge.
I has a nice mineral bite to it, and can cope with many kinds of food.

> 2- braised rabbit with a red-wine sauce, over sage polenta, with cornbread

I's try a Pommard, or maybe a Southern Rhone. Gigondas?

> 3. warm bread pudding with a caramel drizzle

Dry bubbly wont go, I think. It will turn sour in the mouth.

A PX sherry from Sanchos Romate or any botrytis wine should do the trick.

Anders

Rich R

"Timote" > wrote in message
> hello all- thought someone might enjoy chiming in on this one- having

dinner
> tonight, and thought I could get some help on this!
>
> trying to budget these wines at $20 or under
>
> course 1- salad of mixed greens, candied walnuts, dried cherries w/ a

maple
> syrup flavored dressing
>
> 2- braised rabbit with a red-wine sauce, over sage polenta, with cornbread
>
> 3. warm bread pudding with a caramel drizzle
>
> ---------------------
> was thinkin a nice crisp SB or un-oaked chard for the first course, maybe

> medium-bodied syrah for the rabbit, and a dry brut bottle of buubly ( or

even a
> liqueur) for the dessert. any opinions? looking to something a bit out of

the
> ordinary if possible. Thanks so much!!

Well you have all the spaces on your tongue tastings things. But you threw
in the rabbit with the red wine sauce. Well, here is what you do:

- use an un-oaked white but not SB. Way to grape-fruitty. Try some fuller
Verdiccio. No oak with the good ones. Will go well with everything you
mentioned, ever rare-butt!!

Rich

*Because **NYC** Could Be BETTER!!

GABRIELLI OF MENDOCINO'S
ZINFANDEL RESERVE

THE ONLY ONE I CAN THINK OF

http://www.gabrielli-winery.com

strong enough to cover the possible gaminees of the rabbit and macho
enough to match up with the bread pudding yet still leave you able to
stand straight out the door.

(-->>BeTTeR LiVinG Thru BetteR LiVING !!<<----)

GABRIELLI WINERY & VINEYARDS OF MENDOCINO For The BIGGEST BOLDEST &
SASSIEST REDS:

Zany & ZaFTiG ZINFANDELS +++ Sassy SYRIAHs +++ SEXY Sangiovese +++
Piquant PINOT NOIRs:
http://www.gabrielli-winery.com

http://community.webtv.net/rosaphilia/h2Rosaphilias