Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] '88 Lafon Volnay

Tonight, to celebrate Jean's return from a grueling two days at
DisneyWorld recruiting grad students, I prepared a meal of rabbit in
mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and Brussells Sprouts sautéed with
bacon and onion. To go with all this I opened:

1988 Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots-de-Milieu
nose: pencil lead and black raspberries
palate: deep fruit, bright acidity, rich mouthfeel

Incredibly young-seeming for a 20-year-old 1er Cru Burgundy, this wine
delivered all that I could have hoped for. Marvelously enjoyable if not
transcendent, it matched the rabbit beautifully.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default '88 Lafon Volnay

On Nov 9, 12:46�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, to celebrate Jean's return from a grueling two days at
> DisneyWorld recruiting grad students, I prepared a meal of rabbit in
> mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and Brussells Sprouts saut�ed with
> bacon and onion. �To go with all this I opened:
>
> 1988 Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots-de-Milieu
> nose: pencil lead and black raspberries
> palate: deep fruit, bright acidity, rich mouthfeel
>
> Incredibly young-seeming for a 20-year-old 1er Cru Burgundy, this wine
> delivered all that I could have hoped for. �Marvelously enjoyable if not
> �transcendent, it matched the rabbit beautifully.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

sounds like a great wine, a great meal, and a lovely combo.
Did you give some air? I still find some '88s tight (but others not).
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> On Nov 9, 12:46?am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > Tonight, to celebrate Jean's return from a grueling two days at
> > DisneyWorld recruiting grad students, I prepared a meal of rabbit in
> > mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and Brussells Sprouts saut?ed with
> > bacon and onion. ?To go with all this I opened:
> >
> > 1988 Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots-de-Milieu
> > nose: pencil lead and black raspberries
> > palate: deep fruit, bright acidity, rich mouthfeel
> >
> > Incredibly young-seeming for a 20-year-old 1er Cru Burgundy, this wine
> > delivered all that I could have hoped for. ?Marvelously enjoyable if not
> > ?transcendent, it matched the rabbit beautifully.
> >
> > Mark Lipton
> > --
> > alt.food.wine FAQ: ?http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

> sounds like a great wine, a great meal, and a lovely combo.
> Did you give some air? I still find some '88s tight (but others not).

Glad you asked that question Dale. My last two Volnays from '88 took 2-3
hours to get pleasant.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> sounds like a great wine, a great meal, and a lovely combo.
> Did you give some air? I still find some '88s tight (but others not).

I opened it about a half hour ahead of time, gave it a small sample and
decided against decanting it (seemed open enough to me). Might it have
benefited nonetheless? Possibly. It certainly didn't show any signs of
fading over the hour that we drank it; neither did it open up any more
that I could tell. Great wine? Maybe not, but a really, really good
one to be sure.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 9, 12:46�am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Tonight, to celebrate Jean's return from a grueling two days at
> DisneyWorld recruiting grad students, I prepared a meal of rabbit in
> mustard sauce, mashed sweet potatoes and Brussells Sprouts saut�ed with
> bacon and onion. �To go with all this I opened:
>
> 1988 Comtes Lafon Volnay Santenots-de-Milieu
> nose: pencil lead and black raspberries
> palate: deep fruit, bright acidity, rich mouthfeel
>
> Incredibly young-seeming for a 20-year-old 1er Cru Burgundy, this wine
> delivered all that I could have hoped for. �Marvelously enjoyable if not
> �transcendent, it matched the rabbit beautifully.
>
> Mark Lipton
> --
> alt.food.wine FAQ: �http://winefaq.cwdjr.net

Nice sounding combo....I love red burgundy with rabbit. Is it your
concoction? The Volnay sounds better than most of the '88's I've had
lately.

TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more DaleW Wine 3 30-04-2012 02:00 AM
TN: Bachelet and Lafon DaleW Wine 2 23-07-2010 02:26 PM
Lafon, Tignanello Bi!! Wine 0 30-03-2010 04:08 PM
[TN] Dr. L, Lafon Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 28-01-2009 01:07 PM
Dominique LaFon [email protected] Wine 0 01-10-2006 07:08 PM