Wine (alt.food.wine) Devoted to the discussion of wine and wine-related topics. A place to read and comment about wines, wine and food matching, storage systems, wine paraphernalia, etc. In general, any topic related to wine is valid fodder for the group.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-04-2012, 04:57 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more

My turn to cook, we had slipped on meatless Monday so I went for tofu Tuesday- chilled silken tofu with a ginger/kecapmanis/sesame dressing, and a tofu/snow pea/sprout/noodle stirfry. Wine was the 2002 Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett.
Petrol, tropical fruit, and more petrol. Fairly soft, fairly short, this is fairly pleasant and fairly innocuous (which in my limited experience kind of sums up Dr. Fischer). B-

Betsy made a kale and egg starter, lamb chops, mashed potatoes and salad. First up was the 1986 Ch. de Bel-Air (Lalande de Pomerol). Some fruit still there though a bit tired, but this might be ok if there still weren’t raspy tannins. Plums, cigarbox converting to ashtray, but the acids and tannins overwhelm totally the fruit. Little expectations for an ‘86 Right Bank satellite, but this was basically free (odd bottle in a mixed lot, I bid based on other bottles only). C+

That wasn’t fun enough to sit through dinner with, so opened a gift bottle that had been sitting on counter for 2 weeks. The 2004 Ceretto Zonchera Barolo had floral notes and
cherries, a little tannic bite, approachable for young Barolo, satisfactory.. B/B-

Thursday she made mussels and zucchini with linguine, and a salad with walnut and gorgonzola. I actually wasn’t planning on wine as I was taking an NYU Oxfam group on a run that night, but she needed a cup of white wine, so I had a quarter glass of the 2010 Chinaine Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine). Clean grapefruit and gooseberry, on the lighter side, this ain’t CRB but it’s a good value for easy-going SB. Passed as folks gathered for wine tasting last night, help up well. B

Friday before wine group came over I threw together a quick lemon sole dinner. Wine was the 2008 Les Heretiers du Comte Lafon Macon-Milly-Lamartine. Nice full-bodied Chardonnay, pear and pit fruits framed by just a light oak note. Good acids, nice length (I should note that it was far less popular than the Chidaine as a welcoming wine for the local group- 1 person declared it “weird”- but I think they’re wrong!). B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 28-04-2012, 10:06 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 912
Default TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more

On Apr 28, 10:57*am, DaleW wrote:
My turn to cook, we had slipped on meatless Monday so I went for tofu Tuesday- chilled silken tofu with a ginger/kecapmanis/sesame dressing, and a tofu/snow pea/sprout/noodle stirfry. Wine was the 2002 Dr. Fischer Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Kabinett.
Petrol, tropical fruit, and more petrol. Fairly soft, fairly short, this is fairly pleasant and fairly innocuous (which in my limited experience kind of sums up Dr. Fischer). B-

In my experience, mainly with the 1970s Ockfener Bockstein, this
vineyard needs a very good year to stand out - it is in a rather cold
region. I always tried to get an auslese or higher grade for the best
chance of an outstanding wine. Dr. Fischer and other owners have made
some excellent wines here if you very carefully select the year and
ripeness level. Dr. Fischer's 1976 auslese was excellent and the 1973
auslese was decent, but not nearly of the richness of the 1976. The
1976 BA from Winzerverein Irsch was decent, but not up to what I would
expect for a 1976 BA. The most unusual, and excellent, Ockenfer
Bockstein that I have is the 1973 Ockfener Bockstein
Trockenbeerenauslase Riesling Eiswein in halves from the state domain.

  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 29-04-2012, 11:41 PM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,849
Default TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more

DaleW wrote:

Thursday she made mussels and zucchini with linguine, and a salad
with walnut and gorgonzola. I actually wasn’t planning on wine as I
was taking an NYU Oxfam group on a run that night, but she needed a
cup of white wine, so I had a quarter glass of the 2010 Chinaine
Sauvignon Blanc (Touraine). Clean grapefruit and gooseberry, on the
lighter side, this ain’t CRB but it’s a good value for easy-going SB.
Passed as folks gathered for wine tasting last night, help up well. B




Friday before wine group came over I threw together a quick lemon
sole dinner. Wine was the 2008 Les Heretiers du Comte Lafon
Macon-Milly-Lamartine. Nice full-bodied Chardonnay, pear and pit
fruits framed by just a light oak note. Good acids, nice length (I
should note that it was far less popular than the Chidaine as a
welcoming wine for the local group- 1 person declared it “weird”- but
I think they’re wrong!). B+


That is odd, Dale. I take it that the first wine should be Chidaine
rather than Chinaine? I didn't realize that he made a Sauvignon, but if
his Chenins are anything to go by, I'd expect good things.

Mark Lipton
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 30-04-2012, 02:00 AM posted to alt.food.wine
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4,554
Default TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 6:41:23 PM UTC-4, Mark Lipton wrote:

That is odd, Dale. I take it that the first wine should be Chidaine
rather than Chinaine? I didn't realize that he made a Sauvignon, but if
his Chenins are anything to go by, I'd expect good things.

Mark Lipton


OOps, yes, Chidaine. He has had a negoce SB as well as a Chenin for several years. Didn't like the early SB, but like this one.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[TN] Dr. L, Lafon Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 28-01-2009 01:07 PM
TN: Lafon (just Macon) and Graillot at Oceana DaleW Wine 3 27-01-2009 08:26 PM
TN Ockfener Bockstein Riesling Auslese 1976, Dr. Fischer cwdjrxyz Wine 0 15-07-2008 04:58 AM
Dominique LaFon [email protected] Wine 0 01-10-2006 07:08 PM
TN: Lafon Macon at Nobu DaleW Wine 5 19-08-2006 08:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017