Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Dr. L, Lafon Volnay

This weekend, we took Andrew out for dinner at a local Thai restaurant,
where they have a decent wine list. With our fish cakes, salad and
curried salmon, we got glasses of:

2007 Dr. Loosen "Dr. L." Riesling QbA
nose: limes, peaches and a hint of petrol
palate: crisp, mineral, well-delineated fruit, barely off-dry

Of the 4-5 vintages of this wine that I've now tried, this is hands down
the best example. More intense than earlier versions, yet also crisper,
this went very well with the food and is yet another example of the
success of '07.

On Sunday, Jean had a hankering for a dish from her childhood, a very
*******ized Boeuf Bourgignon. I did my best to replicate it and
restrained my impulse to indulge in a more classic rendition of the dish
(by, for instance, deglazing and simmering in wine rather than water :P)
I didn't skimp on the wine, though, and got from the cellar:

1988 Comte Lafon Volnay-Champans
color: dark brick at the center, going orange at the rim
nose: cedar, spices, slightly pruney fruit, pencil lead
palate: dark fruit, acid, pencil lead

This was the penulimate bottle from a cache of '88 Volnays that we
purchased at auction a year or two ago, and the first of the lot that
seemed at all tired. However, with the beef this wine was transformed:
the fruit seemed fresher and more vibrant, more about raspberries than
prunes. A definite 4 on the Hoare scale.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> This weekend, we took Andrew out for dinner at a local Thai restaurant,
> where they have a decent wine list. With our fish cakes, salad and
> curried salmon, we got glasses of:
>
> 2007 Dr. Loosen "Dr. L." Riesling QbA
> nose: limes, peaches and a hint of petrol
> palate: crisp, mineral, well-delineated fruit, barely off-dry
>
> Of the 4-5 vintages of this wine that I've now tried, this is hands down
> the best example. More intense than earlier versions, yet also crisper,
> this went very well with the food and is yet another example of the
> success of '07.

Mark,
This is good news indeed. I'm hoarding a few bottles of the 2006 which I
really loved so it's good to see I can drink them and be happy with their
replacements.

BTW, I have to commend the managers of the local Pennsylvania 'State' stores
in my area for scouring the state's inventory and having them shipped to
them for me to pick up. Not the attitude I'd seen previously in my
adventures with the states civil servants.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Mark Lipton" > skrev i melding
> ... A definite 4 on the Hoare scale.

Would that be yum-yum-yum-yum?

:-) Anders

TN: Dr. Fischer, Lafon Macon, more DaleW Wine 3 30-04-2012 02:00 AM
TN: Bachelet and Lafon DaleW Wine 2 23-07-2010 02:26 PM
Lafon, Tignanello Bi!! Wine 0 30-03-2010 04:08 PM
[TN] '88 Lafon Volnay Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 4 09-11-2008 10:24 PM
Dominique LaFon [email protected] Wine 0 01-10-2006 07:08 PM