Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Vale Bailey Carrodus

AFW people familiar with the wines of Yarra Yering will be saddened to hear
of the passing of founder Dr Bailey Carrodus, after a short illness, on 19
September 2008. See http://www.decanter.com/news/268365.html

Ian Hoare will recall his hospitality some years back when we visited the
winery and were treated royally to Bailey's new wines in oak.

Bailey was a loveable if sometimes irascible character with an incisive mind
and did not treat fools lightly. His wines were highly individual and did
not always suit the prevailing palates of the day. Bailey nevertheless went
on to creat his own unmistakable wine styles and gained a wide international
market and fame for Yarra Yering.

Martin

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 26, 1:45�am, "Martin Field" > wrote:
> AFW people familiar with the wines of Yarra Yering will be saddened to hear
> of the passing of founder Dr Bailey Carrodus, after a short illness, on 19
> September 2008. Seehttp://www.decanter.com/news/268365.html
>
> Ian Hoare will recall his hospitality some years back when we visited the
> winery and were treated royally to Bailey's new wines in oak.
>
> Bailey was a loveable if sometimes irascible character with an incisive mind
> and did not treat fools lightly. His wines were highly individual and did
> not always suit the prevailing palates of the day. Bailey nevertheless went
> on to creat his own unmistakable wine styles and gained a wide international
> market and fame for Yarra Yering.
>
> Martin

I'm sorry to hear that. An Australian producer in a style I really
like. The YY Dry #1 & Penflds 389 are the 2 Oz wines I look for first
in a store.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Martin,

Thanks so much for letting us know.

On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 15:45:30 +1000, "Martin Field"
> wrote:

>AFW people familiar with the wines of Yarra Yering will be saddened to hear
>of the passing of founder Dr Bailey Carrodus, after a short illness, on 19
>September 2008. See http://www.decanter.com/news/268365.html
>
>Ian Hoare will recall his hospitality some years back when we visited the
>winery and were treated royally to Bailey's new wines in oak.

I do indeed, as does Jacquie, with great affection. After teasing us
all rotten, he took us across to taste all his wines, just when we had
given up on the idea of being given a tasting. A very kind man, who
suffered fools abour as gladly as I do!

>His wines were highly individual and did not always suit the prevailing palates of the day.

For example, despite the near 100% habit of doing so in the area, he
refused to irrigate his vines, believing that the wine reflected the
year and the vineyards better that way.

Is it known what will happen to Yarra Yering (I've not yet looked at
the Decanter article)?

--
All the best
Fatty from Forges
Posted to alt.food.wine

Martin Field wrote:
> AFW people familiar with the wines of Yarra Yering will be saddened to hear
> of the passing of founder Dr Bailey Carrodus, after a short illness, on 19
> September 2008. See http://www.decanter.com/news/268365.html
>
> Ian Hoare will recall his hospitality some years back when we visited the
> winery and were treated royally to Bailey's new wines in oak.
>
> Bailey was a loveable if sometimes irascible character with an incisive mind
> and did not treat fools lightly. His wines were highly individual and did
> not always suit the prevailing palates of the day. Bailey nevertheless went
> on to creat his own unmistakable wine styles and gained a wide international
> market and fame for Yarra Yering.

Martin,
I was very saddened to hear this news. It's been a bad year for wine
lovers, with the losses of Luis Kracher, Robert Mondavi, Didier
Dagueneau and now Dr. Carrodus, all remarkable and important individuals
in their own ways.

Mark Lipton

Vale the Dyna Soar Sky Rider General Cooking 1 17-09-2011 07:34 AM
Two recent tastings: 04 du Tertre and 05 Eden Vale pinot Ewan Wine 5 16-03-2009 06:51 PM
Frozen propane tank vale RegForte Barbecue 20 09-08-2008 11:35 PM
Vale Art Stratemeyer Martin Field Wine 5 06-07-2008 04:01 AM
TN: Mitolo Savitar McLaren Vale Shiraz 2001 Andrew Goldfinch Wine 0 02-03-2005 06:23 AM