Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Two recent tastings: 04 du Tertre and 05 Eden Vale pinot

Been absent for far too long after moving from Yale and losing
(convenient) Usenet access :-(.

Two recent tasting notes, one bad and one excellent. I'd bought (I
think based on a rec here, actually) a few bottles of the 2004 Chateau
du Tertre, and after having had them in storage for a while during
moves, we were reunited a little while back, so finally opened one:
very disappointing, with much oxidation and almost no nose. My guess
is a bad bottle, but hope the others are better: I post just to check
whether anyone happens to know that this might be in a poor period
right now?

The other recent wine to make a big impression came from
winestilsoldout.com, which I've had good experience with recently: the
2005 Eden Vale pinot noir. This was silky, rich and almost slightly
syrupy, definitely 'big' for a pinot but not over the top, good
caramel and woodsmoke. Really very good; I went back out and bought a
case, and will look for future releases.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 11:14*am, Ewan > wrote:
> Been absent for far too long after moving from Yale and losing
> (convenient) Usenet access :-(.
>
> Two recent tasting notes, one bad and one excellent. *I'd bought (I
> think based on a rec here, actually) a few bottles of the 2004 Chateau
> du Tertre, and after having had them in storage for a while during
> moves, we were reunited a little while back, so finally opened one:
> very disappointing, with much oxidation and almost no nose. *My guess
> is a bad bottle, but hope the others are better: I post just to check
> whether anyone happens to know that this might be in a poor period
> right now?
>
> The other recent wine to make a big impression came from
> winestilsoldout.com, which I've had good experience with recently: the
> 2005 Eden Vale pinot noir. *This was silky, rich and almost slightly
> syrupy, definitely 'big' for a pinot but not over the top, good
> caramel and woodsmoke. *Really very good; I went back out and bought a
> case, and will look for future releases.

Good to see you here, and congrats on the new family addition.
I have to think the du Tertre was an off bottle. I liked a lot on
release. It might well be in a closed place right now, but shouldn't
have any oxidative notes. Sounds like a compromised seal to me. Too
bad

Posted to alt.food.wine

Ewan wrote:
> Been absent for far too long after moving from Yale and losing
> (convenient) Usenet access :-(.

Good to see you back here, Ewan, and congrats on the tenure track
appointment and the NIH grant! Regarding Usenet access, you might want
to look into one of the various free newservers that permit posting
privileges, such as news.aioe.org, news.motzarella.org,
news.x-privat.org and news.mixmin.net. I've given up on my ISP's
newsgroup access and just use aioe.org, which has been quite reliable.

> Two recent tasting notes, one bad and one excellent. I'd bought (I
> think based on a rec here, actually) a few bottles of the 2004 Chateau
> du Tertre, and after having had them in storage for a while during
> moves, we were reunited a little while back, so finally opened one:
> very disappointing, with much oxidation and almost no nose. My guess
> is a bad bottle, but hope the others are better: I post just to check
> whether anyone happens to know that this might be in a poor period
> right now?

Notes on Cellartracker would indicate that you did indeed have a bad
bottle. Could it be a storage issue? Or perhaps just a bad cork.
Whichever, 'tis a shame.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 11:09*am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Ewan wrote:
> > Been absent for far too long after moving from Yale and losing
> > (convenient) Usenet access :-(.

> Good to see you back here, Ewan, and congrats on the tenure track
> appointment and the NIH grant! *Regarding Usenet access, you might want
> to look into one of the various free newservers that permit posting
> privileges, such as news.aioe.org, news.motzarella.org,
> news.x-privat.org and news.mixmin.net. *I've given up on my ISP's
> newsgroup access and just use aioe.org, which has been quite reliable.

My ISP, ATT/Yahoo DSL Elite, has never supported Usenet groups since I
have had the service, and many ISPs have discontinued Usenet support.
If you want certain extras, the news servers you mention are good, and
there are a few pay ones that offer even more. However, if you have
access to Google, you can read alt.food.wine under their Groups, and
you can post free if you register with them - it requires little more
than a working email address. They are not as fancy as some of the
readers, but they get the job done good enough for me. I am not
interesting in blocking certain posts etc. I do know of one group
where a long term user of the group blocks all posts coming from
Google Groups, because he thinks such posts are of low quality. That
is just quilt by association, but I do not let it bother me. My parrot
might ask if he also blocks posts from green people :-).

The main thing I find important on posting to Usenet is to use an
email address that will dump all incoming mail. I use an address that
I created on my domain server. When I have then registered for a
group, I set the server to dump all incoming mail to that address. If
you can not so set email, you can always use other methods to obscure
your address, especially to bots used to harvest email addresses for
spamming. The dump or no dump choice can be made at the server control
panel with a few clicks if you need to turn the mail back on for a
short time. For those without server access, there are of course
simple methods that will make the email address unreadable by most
bots used to harvest addresses for spamming you, but easy enough to
figure out by humans.

I use Yahoo mail which works well enough for me. I have it set up to
read both Yahoo mail and 5 mail addresses from the domain server that
come in on Yahoo mail as pop mail. That avoids quite a few key clicks
to sign into various mail sources directly.

It is possible to put mail on the web site for the alt.food.wine
group, but I do not want to have to read all of the likely spam that
it would attract. I will be very glad to set up a mail address for you
on the server to route all mail for the wine group to you :-). I have
a feeling that you will not choose to do so.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 12:09*pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
On Mar 12, 12:02 pm, DaleW > wrote:

Thanks for the welcome back, folks; and for the info. I followed up
Mark's cellartracker pointer, and agree that the picture looks bright
for the remaining bottles - good!

[In the process of following-up, I see that it was based on one of
Dale's original notes that I went for these, so he also gets off the
hook . I am amused and slightly flattered to have clearly been
Googled - yes, the move to Albany has been a good one, with Yale "a
good place to be from," and Keiran (now 5 mo) takes up much time in a
good way.]

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 12, 2:17*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:

[various kind and helpful stuff]

Thanks greatly for the offer. I have wangled intermittent access
through Yale adjunctness, and Google works for posting, so I think I
should be set for now.

[TN] Recent wines (Nebbiolo, Grenache, Bordeaux and Pinot) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 15-02-2014 05:37 AM
[TN] Recent wines (Pinot, Verdejo, Frappato) Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 27-10-2012 05:49 AM
1989 Ch. Tertre Roteboeuf Bi!! Wine 0 09-05-2011 03:42 PM
[TN] '00 du Tertre Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 1 11-11-2009 09:45 AM
TN: nice dinner, w/DDO, du Tertre, Selene, Cazin, ZH DaleW Wine 2 02-05-2007 07:19 PM