Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Frozen propane tank vale

Hi All,

After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
and it's all pretty rusty.

Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?

If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

Thanks.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

.. . . open field, wet day, 30.06 and a camera.
--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Jul 26, 4:45*pm, RegForte > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
> it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
> lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> and it's all pretty rusty.
>
> Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?
>
> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?
>
> Thanks.

You might want to try to heat it up with a propane torch that might
loosen it up some,
if not it might just blow the whole thing off.

Now for the serious part if it is a newer tank like you are supposed
to have now
it will not spew andy fuel if you turn it has a safety valve inside
to prvent that unless it is
hooked up, you might want to try some soap or some other lubricant
that is not flamable.
If you can turn it some hook it up and see if any gas will come out
and light your grill or whatever,
I don't turn mine but maybe one or two turns to fire my grill up so
you may be able to get some gas out.

Now to dispose of it I do not know the answer to that, if you want to
be a bum just take it to one of
those automated exchange places like home depot has and just exchange
it and let them worry about it
(but you did not here that from me), I would just take it out in the
woods and shoot it with my 44 mag and have some fun.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
> it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
> lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> and it's all pretty rusty.
>
> Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?
>
> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?
>
> Thanks.

There should be a small vent screw on the side of the valve, this can be
used to empty the tank before disposal.

I would not use a wrench on it. (Unless you have a brass wrench)
Steel can cause sparks, and you might find that it wasn't closed as
tightly as you thought. ;-)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Shawn" > wrote in message news:IL-

> I would not use a wrench on it. (Unless you have a brass wrench)
> Steel can cause sparks, and you might find that it wasn't closed as
> tightly as you thought. ;-)

If the valve is opened, nothing will come out anyway. There is a spring
check that has to be pushed in by the connecting line.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
> it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
> lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> and it's all pretty rusty.
>
> Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?

Spray it with some PB Blaster and let it soak overnight.

> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

Good question. I'd call a local propane distributor and ask.
They likely have ran into the problem before.

--
DougW

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
> "Shawn" > wrote in message news:IL-
>> I would not use a wrench on it. (Unless you have a brass wrench)
>> Steel can cause sparks, and you might find that it wasn't closed as
>> tightly as you thought. ;-)

> If the valve is opened, nothing will come out anyway. There is a spring
> check that has to be pushed in by the connecting line.

This is a FWIW along just that point. My son has an LP grill. One
evening while I was visiting, he switched tanks and the new tank
wouldn't work. He returned it, since it was an exchange tank, and its
replacement wouldn't work, either. They acted as if the tank were
empty, but it weighed plenty.

A close examination showed that the connector that screws onto the
tank's valve has a tit that sticks into the tank's valve body,
depressing the flap you mention. The tit is permitted to rotate inside
the connector (so it won't twist inside the valve body) by a spacer that
lets it slip while holding it out about 1/2" or so. In my son's case,
the spacer that holds the tit out in the connector had disintegrated,
letting the tit slip back inside the connector.

What was happening was that the connector that held the regulator's hose
to the valve connected up just fine to the tank's valve assembly. It
tightened up fine and everything seemed OK. The only problem was that
the tit itself "retracted" and didn't depress the internal flap inside
the tank's valve, preventing the LP from entering the hose from even a
full tank.

He replaced the hose assembly, including a new pressure regulator, and
the grill worked swell. In fact, it gave out a LOT more heat, leading
him to believe that the tit had progressively failed over a period of
time, gradually reducing the LP flow to the grill.

If you have a grill that just doesn't get as hot as it used to, perhaps
you might be having this problem as well.

--
Nonny

Nonnymus
I'm not who you think I am. I'm not who
I think I am. I am what I think you think I am.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

"Nonnymus" > wrote in message

> If you have a grill that just doesn't get as hot as it used to, perhaps
> you might be having this problem as well.

Naw. It just means that I don't have enough charcoal and/or wood. Or maybe
I just haven't waited for the fire to spread.

BOB

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
> it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
> lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> and it's all pretty rusty.
>
> Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?
>
> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?
>
> Thanks.

Take the tank to a propane dealer and let them check it. They have dealt
with this in the past.

--
Moe Jones
http://www.MoeJones.info

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
> it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
> lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> and it's all pretty rusty.

I thought the valves were made of brass? Brass tarnish should be pretty
thin and protects the underlying metal.

> Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?

You're turning it the right way, eh? Counterclockwise as viewed from the
top. Try wrapping a cloth, soaked in hot water, around it. That should
expand the brass housing and make it easier to open. Next time, don't
tighten it so damned hard!

> If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

You put it in a big backpack and walk into a bank, then . . . .

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On 27-Jul-2008, Nick Cramer > wrote:

> RegForte > wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've
> > found
> > it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
> > and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it
> > further
> > lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
> > spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
> > and it's all pretty rusty.

> I thought the valves were made of brass? Brass tarnish should be
> pretty
> thin and protects the underlying metal.
>
> > Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?

> You're turning it the right way, eh? Counterclockwise as viewed
> from the
> top. Try wrapping a cloth, soaked in hot water, around it. That
> should
> expand the brass housing and make it easier to open. Next time,
> don't
> tighten it so damned hard!
>
> > If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
> > issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

> You put it in a big backpack and walk into a bank, then . . . .
>
> --
> Nick.

It would take a better man then I to backpack a 175# tank that
stands about 5 ft high.

--
Brick(Youth is wasted on young people)
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Nick Cramer wrote:

> RegForte > wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>After trying to open the valve on one of my 20 gal tanks I've found
>>it to be frozen solid. I forced it about 1/4 turn with a wrench
>>and it's still not loosening at all. I'm hestitant to force it further
>>lest the whole thing come apart and I get pressurized propane
>>spewing into my face. The valve hasn't been turned in awhile
>>and it's all pretty rusty.

> I thought the valves were made of brass? Brass tarnish should be pretty
> thin and protects the underlying metal.
>

>>Should I force it more, or is it not worth the risk?

> You're turning it the right way, eh? Counterclockwise as viewed from the
> top. Try wrapping a cloth, soaked in hot water, around it. That should
> expand the brass housing and make it easier to open. Next time, don't
> tighten it so damned hard!
>
>>If not I'd have to dispose of it, which is another interesting
>>issue. How does one get rid of a loaded propane tank?

> You put it in a big backpack and walk into a bank, then . . . .

Ah thanks, Nick. I knew someone would chime in with the all important
question: You sure you're turning in the right direction?

And thanks to everyone else who responded. Better safe than sorry,
so the tank will get handed in to one of those supermarket exchange
deals. I've been told that they're setup to take care of
malfunctioning tanks.

Dinner wasn't ruined, fortunately. The smoked rack of lamb
got finished in a hot oven instead of on the grill. The main
casualty was the non-grilled grilled flatbread, which
ended up getting cooked on a baking stone.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte > wrote:
> Nick Cramer wrote:
> > RegForte > wrote:
> > [ . . . ]

> Ah thanks, Nick. I knew someone would chime in with the all important
> question: You sure you're turning in the right direction?
> [ . . . ]
> Dinner wasn't ruined, fortunately. The smoked rack of lamb
> got finished in a hot oven instead of on the grill. The main
> casualty was the non-grilled grilled flatbread, which
> ended up getting cooked on a baking stone.

Always glad to help a fellow lamb aficionado. ;-)

I've known US vets who served as far back as the Spanish American War.
They are all my heroes! Thank a Veteran and Support Our Troops.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte > wrote in news:1kpjk.34160$ZE5.15799
@nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

> The smoked rack of lamb
> got finished in a hot oven instead of on the grill. The main
> casualty was the non-grilled grilled flatbread, which
> ended up getting cooked on a baking stone.

Tell us more about this lamb of which you speak.
details...details

--
Tommy Lee

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

motley me wrote:

> RegForte > wrote in news:1kpjk.34160$ZE5.15799
> @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:
>
>>The smoked rack of lamb
>>got finished in a hot oven instead of on the grill. The main
>>casualty was the non-grilled grilled flatbread, which
>>ended up getting cooked on a baking stone.

> Tell us more about this lamb of which you speak.
> details...details

Well, step one is to bring extra cash when you shop.
Rack of lamb is just too expensive. I only serve it on
certain occasions (in this case it was a birthday dinner
for a really good friend who brought along the guitarist
for the Dead Kennedys. Hey, it's California).

Smoke it until about 100-110 F internal. For a "pre-smoking"
step like this I prefer to give it a relatively heavy blast
of smoke for a short time. This is the only trick because
you risk creosoting the food if you're not careful. The
rest is easy.

Put it back in the fridge. You can do the pre-smoke up to
a day before.

On game day give it a good sear it on a hot grill (unless
of course you have poorly maintained tanks. ahem), then,
proceed with a standard rack of lamb recipe ...

- Smear the meaty side with a layer of dijon mustard
- Coat with a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic, rosemary, S&P
Mix in a small amount of olive oil to keep it from burning
- Cook at 450 F until about 125-130 F internal

Some fitting comments were made about people who claim
to hate the taste of lamb. It's often an issue for sure.

If you've got someone like that on the guest list, this
is usually a recipe that will convert them. If the meat
is high quality (i.e. the animal is young) it will have
a very, very mild flavor. Plus the assertiveness of the
mustard, garlic, and rosemary blends well and balances
it all out.

Usually the recommendation for lamb is a full bodied, spicy
red but I often go for something more laid back. This time
it was a Pinot. It worked perfectly.

Posted to alt.food.barbecue

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:27:57 -0700, RegForte > wrote:

>motley me wrote:

[snip}

>Smoke it until about 100-110 F internal. For a "pre-smoking"
>step like this I prefer to give it a relatively heavy blast
>of smoke for a short time. This is the only trick because
>you risk creosoting the food if you're not careful. The
>rest is easy.
>
>Put it back in the fridge. You can do the pre-smoke up to
>a day before.
>
>On game day give it a good sear it on a hot grill (unless
>of course you have poorly maintained tanks. ahem), then,
>proceed with a standard rack of lamb recipe ...
>
>- Smear the meaty side with a layer of dijon mustard
>- Coat with a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic, rosemary, S&P
> Mix in a small amount of olive oil to keep it from burning
>- Cook at 450 F until about 125-130 F internal
>
>Some fitting comments were made about people who claim
>to hate the taste of lamb. It's often an issue for sure.
>
>If you've got someone like that on the guest list, this
>is usually a recipe that will convert them. If the meat
>is high quality (i.e. the animal is young) it will have
>a very, very mild flavor. Plus the assertiveness of the
>mustard, garlic, and rosemary blends well and balances
>it all out.
>
>Usually the recommendation for lamb is a full bodied, spicy
>red but I often go for something more laid back. This time
>it was a Pinot. It worked perfectly.

Ever tried this with goat instead of lamb?

We have lately been getting a lot more goat meat here. Courtesy, I
think, of the influx of hispanic population, and it is usually a lot
cheaper than lamb. Also, if young, even less "gamey" tasting. I
usually end up using leg for bbq but I wonder if anyone has tried
smoking chops????

Marquis Hodes in Naptown
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Marquis Hodes wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:27:57 -0700, RegForte > wrote:

snip rack of lamb details

> Ever tried this with goat instead of lamb?
>
> We have lately been getting a lot more goat meat here. Courtesy, I
> think, of the influx of hispanic population, and it is usually a lot
> cheaper than lamb. Also, if young, even less "gamey" tasting. I
> usually end up using leg for bbq but I wonder if anyone has tried
> smoking chops????
>
> Marquis Hodes in Naptown

My experience with goat is limited. Not bad with a nice mole
sauce, but not a favorite either.
Posted to alt.food.barbecue

RegForte wrote:

> motley me wrote:
>
>> RegForte > wrote in news:1kpjk.34160$ZE5.15799
>> @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:
>>
>>> The smoked rack of lamb
>>> got finished in a hot oven instead of on the grill. The main
>>> casualty was the non-grilled grilled flatbread, which
>>> ended up getting cooked on a baking stone.

>> Tell us more about this lamb of which you speak.
>> details...details
>>

> Well, step one is to bring extra cash when you shop.
> Rack of lamb is just too expensive. I only serve it on
> certain occasions (in this case it was a birthday dinner
> for a really good friend who brought along the guitarist
> for the Dead Kennedys. Hey, it's California).
>
> Smoke it until about 100-110 F internal. For a "pre-smoking"
> step like this I prefer to give it a relatively heavy blast
> of smoke for a short time. This is the only trick because
> you risk creosoting the food if you're not careful. The
> rest is easy.
>
> Put it back in the fridge. You can do the pre-smoke up to
> a day before.
>
> On game day give it a good sear it on a hot grill (unless
> of course you have poorly maintained tanks. ahem), then,
> proceed with a standard rack of lamb recipe ...
>
> - Smear the meaty side with a layer of dijon mustard
> - Coat with a mixture of breadcrumbs, garlic, rosemary, S&P
> Mix in a small amount of olive oil to keep it from burning
> - Cook at 450 F until about 125-130 F internal
>
> Some fitting comments were made about people who claim
> to hate the taste of lamb. It's often an issue for sure.
>
> If you've got someone like that on the guest list, this
> is usually a recipe that will convert them. If the meat
> is high quality (i.e. the animal is young) it will have
> a very, very mild flavor. Plus the assertiveness of the
> mustard, garlic, and rosemary blends well and balances
> it all out.
>
> Usually the recommendation for lamb is a full bodied, spicy
> red but I often go for something more laid back. This time
> it was a Pinot. It worked perfectly.

I agree about the seasoning but the main problem with lamb/mutton is
that the fat is solid at human mouth temperature, never mind what
happens when you introduce iced drinks.